Worst Ever Place You Have Been To On Holiday.

Comments

• Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably Brittany in France. Was a kid and in one of those Key Camp things. Just didn't find the French at all friendly to the English. Always put me off going back there.
  • Dusk1983Dusk1983 Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bizza wrote: »
    Uncle Monty's Cottage.

He means to have you, even if it must be by burglery.
  • prgirl_cescaprgirl_cesca Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    Butlins or Camber Sands.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Bulgaria.. but it was nearly 20 years ago
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Dominican Republic

I found the atmosphere quite menacing (armed guards as soon as you get off the plane), and the people more hostile than in other parts of the Caribbean
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worst place for us has to be Camber Sands its like a prison camp surprised the hole place has yet to be knocked down and rebuilt maybe the caravan homes were probably better.
    Lucky we had a car so could leave the site and go else were though.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    I loved Naples. Did a guided walk of Naples last summer and I was fascinated by the history and antiquity. Love it's ancient jaded quality.

I agree. Absolutely full of culture and authenticity - it felt like the 'real' Italy to me. And the food is to die for. Some parts aren't especially tourist friendly but the same can be said about any major city. I really want to go back there.

Edit: for me, the worst place was LA. I've loved every other place I've been to in America, especially San Francisco, but LA didn't live up to expectations at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Malta

The people were lovely but didn't like where I was staying - rather the property. It was so gloomy in the evening. We were there too long.

It was 1985. I'd still go back and see if anyone was still there that I got to know. I bet they still live at the same house as well :)

I didn't like the border of Mexico/San Diego - horrible place.

Didn't like Glasgow the first time we went there but went back and loved it ever since.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    Isle of Man.

The only place you can get anything to eat after 9pm is the Chinese take out everything else is shut, right ****hole
  • Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Canary Islands. I've been to Fueteventrure and Tenerife and to be honest, I'd get the animals out and nuke the islands.
    They are a total crap hole. I can only think that people who love these places are easily pleased.
  • NewExampleNewExample Posts: 1,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worst: Wales. Best place was any of the Canary Islands, especially Lanzarote.
  • NewExampleNewExample Posts: 1,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jafsie wrote: »
    Isle of Man.

The only place you can get anything to eat after 9pm is the Chinese take out everything else is shut, right ****hole

You serious? No restaurants or pubs?!
  • riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    I always find it strange - but then again perhaps not - that I manage to go to places like Turkey, the Welsh Coast, the south of France, Paris - and have an entirely enjoyable time - maybe because I don't particularly expect much, maybe because what I am after is perhaps different to what other people are.

For instance, in Paris, I steer well away from tourist traps, as that's where the beggars and scam artists are; there's tons to do there that doesn't involve being ripped off, there are parks, amusements, loads of places for kids, excellent shopping, amazing food that doesn't cost the earth, and friendly locals....but NOT if you stick around the Champs Elysees, the Louvre, Eurodisney, or the Tour Eiffel, and not if you want to eat English or "international" (i.e. pizza, burger and chips, etc) food.

@Si_Crewe hits the nail in the head when he says "...always used to holiday in non-touristy parts of Spain which was dirt-cheap and had superb public beaches so it really hacked me off to go somewhere that I had to pay to get onto a beach and where a meal cost £30-odd and the only thing to do was to attend paid "events". Indeed - why bother ? We went to La Coruna a few years ago, and were seemingly the only non-Spanish in the city. Amazing beach, great food, and an aquarium that puts the one in County Hall to shame (and was half the price). And the Spanish are brilliant with kids, nothing is too much hassle from them, especially when you're not on the Costas or Magalluf/Palmanova.
  • riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    Really it's a case of one man's meat is another man's poison.
    What person A thinks is great, person B thinks is soul destroying.
    Also, what one finds attractive between age 18 - 35, older people think of as manic.
    There are dozens of middle-aged people lounging around the pool in Madeira
    who probably ran riot in Ibiza when they were younger.
    Our perceptions change with the years.
    Selfishly, one thing I noted on this thread were the people who didn't like Paris.
    Great! I thought, I hope that the British take note and stay away.
    Leave it to we who know it and love it.
    If I were Bertrand Delanoë, the incumbent mayor of Paris, or Nathalie Kosciusko-Morizet,
    the front runner for next year's mayoral race I'd introduce a simple, school level Q and A in French for would be British tourists.
    If they couldn't cut it, I'd send them back.
    I'd have nothing to fear, when in Europe, I use my French passport.
    Yes there are annoying sellers of imitation bags, watches etc. under la Tour d' Eiffel, ignore them.
    I'm in Paris regularly, visiting relatives, I've got 20-20 vision and I haven't noticed piles of dog poo either.
    p.s. I've lived in England for years, I obey the laws and I pay my taxes, and I DO NOT consider the British inferior.
    I've been back to Paris about 25-30 times, and love it to death - yes, there are the occasional big city hassles like you get in London or Berlin, but nowhere else in Europe - except perhaps Lisbon - is so diverse and entertaining. Even though I've been so often, I'm STILL discovering new things to do, new places to eat, and new faces in old places. I'm not fluent in French but I make an effort, and am amply rewarded for my efforts. Yes, occasionally a waiter will be rude, but maybe once or twice in 25 visits ? Much less than in London, that's for sure.
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    For me Naples/Napoli.

That place is a shithole. We made the mistake of stepping out of the train station only to see a tramp urinating openly in the street and loads of rubbish bags strewn around. We skipped the whole city and headed to ercolano, pompeii and then sorrento. Missed the museum unfortunately.
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    Alt-F4 wrote: »
    That place is a shithole. We made the mistake of stepping out of the train station only to see a tramp urinating openly in the street and loads of rubbish bags strewn around. We skipped the whole city and headed to ercolano, pompeii and then sorrento. Missed the museum unfortunately.

So you saw one tramp at the station , skipped the whole city and yet can say its dump ?
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I have to agree about Napoli.

My dad was born just outside but really doesn't like going back there. It lacks the elegance of the nearby towns- and is home to the most hostile citizens outside of Rome!

It's a dirty, cluttered thieves paradise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you saw one tramp at the station , skipped the whole city and yet can say its dump ?

Yep. Looked like a right dive. Actually might have been more than one tramp - I couldn't tell the tramps from the normal people.
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    Yep. Looked like a right dive. Actually might have been more than one tramp - I couldn't tell the tramps from the normal people.

I doubt you are the best judge then if you skipped it and went elsewhere .But agree with you that Pompeii was worth a trip .!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt you are the best judge then if you skipped it and went elsewhere .

That is true. I'm not the best judge of naples having only seen a small part of it, don't want anybody to get the wrong impression from my comments.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd go back to Naples again which is more than I can say about Capri, which apart from the views towards elsewhere was grim. Tourists jam packed, tourist tatt and very expensive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    I'd go back to Naples again which is more than I can say about Capri, which apart from the views towards elsewhere was grim. Tourists jam packed, tourist tatt and very expensive.

I bet you didn't see a tramp's urinating todger in capri
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet you didn't see a tramp's urinating todger in capri

No we were so jammed in there was no hope of getting your pants down:p
    Saw a toger or three on Saturday as a coach load of footsie fans peed in unison by the side of the motorway tho.:D
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Julie68 wrote: »
    The Canary Islands. I've been to Fueteventrure and Tenerife and to be honest, I'd get the animals out and nuke the islands.
    They are a total crap hole. I can only think that people who love these places are easily pleased.

I love the Canary Islands and have been there several times. Some parts I would stay clear of (Playa de las Americas), but most places are ok in my opinion.
  • waz101waz101 Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rome. It was boring.

I obviously don't know what part of Rome you stayed in but boring isn't really an adjective I'd associate with Rome?

Even if you don't enjoy the historic sites the shopping, bars and nightclubs are great and getting around is really cheap @€24 for a seven day pass.

I spend a couple of weeks staying with friends who live there every year and after 10 years I still haven't seen everything.