Options

DLT resignation speech - full thing available?

chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
Forum Member
It seems that only a ten second Medium Wave excerpt recording of DLT announcing his shock resignation from Radio 1 is doing the rounds, does anyone know somewhere that could hear the speech in full?

Comments

• Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio Rewind Website with everything you need to know about ' Happy Sound of Radio 1' plus Radio 2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    Radio Rewind Website with everything you need to know about ' Happy Sound of Radio 1' plus Radio 2

It does have something on his page but only these ten seconds I mention.
  • Options
    Colin_WilliamsColin_Williams Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Hadn't Mark Tully resigned from the BBC at around the same time? Mr Travis was not quite in the same league, I fear.
  • Options
    reverse_diodereverse_diode Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey, this is strange. DLT resigned in August 1993 during his Sunday show according to Wikipedia - I'd given up on R1 by this stage. How odd that the only apparent clip is short, with the rest of the show seemingly missing. Surely if someone was randomly recording DLT's show, they would have continued recording once he dropped this bombshell? How did he close the show, for example?

Also, strange that only a MW recording exists for a show in 1993, when R1 had well and truly adopted VHF (FM).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hey, this is strange. DLT resigned in August 1993 during his Sunday show according to Wikipedia - I'd given up on R1 by this stage. How odd that the only apparent clip is short, with the rest of the show seemingly missing. Surely if someone was randomly recording DLT's show, they would have continued recording once he dropped this bombshell? How did he close the show, for example?

Also, strange that only a MW recording exists for a show in 1993, when R1 had well and truly adopted VHF (FM).

It is said that DLT alerted an engineer to do some recording just a few minutes before he started doing that speech as the BBC apparently still didn't routinely record their radio programmes back then.
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

DLT made his speech right at the end of his Sunday programme, just before the news would have been about to start.

I used to listen to his programme every Sunday and that particular week was no exception but as the last record was playing, and just before DLT would normally come back and link into the news I switched the radio off to go and make something to eat. I couldn't believe it when I heard later that I'd missed him resigning live on air.

As I wasn't listening when he made his resignation speech and as I only heard the speech after the event (when the news on Radio 1 was next broadcast an hour or two later) I don't know exactly what happened as soon as he stopped speaking but I'm guessing Radio 1 cut straight to the news.

Edit: just in case I'm wrong about exactly when during his programme he actually made his resignation speech: I do remember listening to his programme that day and can definitely remember switching off the radio as he introduced the last record and then later that day, when I found out he'd resigned live on air, I can remember being disappointed I hadn't listened to the very end of the programme to have caught his speech as he was making it. If he made his speech earlier in the programme then I must have missed it for another reason (eg being out of the room) but then I can't recall noticing anything different about his demeanour during what would have been the rest of his show that day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    Radio one news is on the half hour, it was then, so the news bulletin would have been 12:30, and he would be on air until 1.
  • Options
    Mikes MikeMikes Mike Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Changes are being made that go against my beliefs". I.e. Making Radio 1 young again and not having Bruno Brookes playing Status Quo during the small hours. :D

Yes, the cull with Matthew Banister and Dann Dann the hatchet man!

I think it was all covered on that Blood on the Carpet: Walking with Disc Jockeys episode.
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Mikes Mike wrote: »
    "Changes are being made that go against my beliefs". I.e. Making Radio 1 young again and not having Bruno Brookes playing Status Quo during the small hours. :D

Yes, the cull with Matthew Banister and Dann Dann the hatchet man!

I think it was all covered on that Blood on the Carpet: Walking with Disc Jockeys episode.

I think i'm right in saying that Bannister hadn't started yet an Dan certainly wasn't around. I'm sure Bannisters account in nations favourite states that he'd been apointed but hadn't started yet.

I'd imagine dlt knew that he was on borrowed time.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio one news is on the half hour, it was then, so the news bulletin would have been 12:30, and he would be on air until 1.

But! While DLT's Saturday show did indeed run 10-1, on Sundays it was 9.30-12.30. In The Nation's Favourite Travis himself points out that he was out of the door before Matthew Bannister got anywhere near the station, but also that, although he announced his resignation, it wasn't with immediate effect and he was actually intending to stay on until his contract ran out a few weeks later, but Radio 1 said that they wanted him to go now.
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the last few months DLT's Sunday show was 10am-1pm - time adjusted to that when Fluff gave up Pick of the Pops:

http://www.frequencyfinder.org.uk/r1_sched_88_93.html#a93
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    But! While DLT's Saturday show did indeed run 10-1, on Sundays it was 9.30-12.30. In The Nation's Favourite Travis himself points out that he was out of the door before Matthew Bannister got anywhere near the station, but also that, although he announced his resignation, it wasn't with immediate effect and he was actually intending to stay on until his contract ran out a few weeks later, but Radio 1 said that they wanted him to go now.

I read somewhere that Liz Forgan would have let him stay, but because he went running to the papers, she told Beerling to pay him off
  • Options
    commsengcommseng Posts: 5,567
    Forum Member
    The only recording that is ever played of the DLT resignation is the recording taken from the legal logging recorder.

This was a huge spool of tape which recorded all the BBC Radio output for 24 hours back in those days.

It ran at 1 7/8ips (I think) and on the half inch tape recorded 12 tracks.
    (The 5 am outputs, 4 fm outputs in mono, and a few others - possibly the news distribution network to other BBC stations, maybe BBC 1 and 2 mono audio - it's all a long time ago.)

The quality is suitable for listening to speech but not music.
    It's sub medium wave quality, and closest to telephone line quality.

It was one of the overnight London Control Room jobs to change the tape at 2am.

There was a huge wall of them to carry three months worth of recordings, which you cycled through, meaning that they had all been used many times.

Anything required from these tapes was dubbed onto cassette.

No wonder the quality of the DLT speech is so poor.
  • Options
    Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    I read somewhere that Liz Forgan would have let him stay, but because he went running to the papers, she told Beerling to pay him off

Yeah that's what it says in the Nations Favourite book. Claire Sturgess and Nicky Campbell looked after the shows until Danny Baker took over...for a while.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    commseng wrote: »
    The only recording that is ever played of the DLT resignation is the recording taken from the legal logging recorder.

This was a huge spool of tape which recorded all the BBC Radio output for 24 hours back in those days.

(The 5 am outputs, 4 fm outputs in mono, and a few others - possibly the news distribution network to other BBC stations, maybe BBC 1 and 2 mono audio - it's all a long time ago.)

There was a huge wall of them to carry three months worth of recordings, which you cycled through, meaning that they had all been used many times.

So if the BBC did record it then surely they would still have the whole speech in their archives, I doubt they would have wanted to wipe an important moment in Radio 1's history.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So if the BBC did record it then surely they would still have the whole speech in their archives, I doubt would they have wanted to wipe an important moment in Radio 1's history.

It was kept on the logging tapes for 3 months, and the tape was then re-used.

That's longer than the legal requirement which I think was, and still is, 42 days.

The cassette that was dubbed probably went to News, who used the segment that is still available today. I suspect the rest was binned.

There was no easy way of archiving the many hours a day of humdrum output then, and no reason to do so. It was hardly likely to be repeated.

To be fair, the resignation of a DJ is hardly up there with other national matters of importance, and the short relevant bit is the one that everyone has heard.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    In the last few months DLT's Sunday show was 10am-1pm - time adjusted to that when Fluff gave up Pick of the Pops:

http://www.frequencyfinder.org.uk/r1_sched_88_93.html#a93

So it was, but they did change it around very frequently. By the middle of 1994 Danny Baker was back running 9.30-12 so they could fit in Simon Mayo's Classic Years, very much Son Of Pick Of The Pops.
    Black Crow wrote: »
    Yeah that's what it says in the Nations Favourite book. Claire Sturgess and Nicky Campbell looked after the shows until Danny Baker took over...for a while.

I remember on The Big Breakfast the day after he resigned, Chris Evans saying "Nicky Campbell will be doing Sunday's show but they haven't announced who's going to be on Saturdays yet", and then winked at the camera, which I took to mean he was going to do it. But, er, he didn't. Of course, in the first Bannister revamp Campbell was angling to do that slot full-time but wasn't offered it, they offered him weekend breakfast which he didn't want to do (not least because he was doing Central Weekend until after midnight on Friday) so left, albiet temporarily.
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A station I worked for logged output on an alternating pair of Revox B77s running at 1 7/8 ips quarter track. Using ultra thin tape, we would fit a full day on each 'side' of the tape - mono off-air on one track and a timecode on the other.

The audio quality was very poor, but adequate for logging purposes. As I remember, trying to find a short section of audio took forever due to the sheer amount of stuff on one NAB reel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    darkisland wrote: »
    A station I worked for logged output on an alternating pair of Revox B77s running at 1 7/8 ips quarter track. Using ultra thin tape, we would fit a full day on each 'side' of the tape - mono off-air on one track and a timecode on the other.

The audio quality was very poor, but adequate for logging purposes. As I remember, trying to find a short section of audio took forever due to the sheer amount of stuff on one NAB reel.

Good shout - I think one of the tracks either carried the audio "seedless TIM" (the speaking clock without the pips) or a timecode type signal to aid finding something on there.

As you say it wasn't much fun spooling through it all, and then only to find it wasn't the correct reel!

I would have thought that a lot of the stations would have needed to record both the VHF and medium wave output - certainly when they started splitting frequencies.
    What if you were recording off air VHF, and the tx failed, but something was broadcast on the MW which required a recording, you could be in trouble?
  • Options
    Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have thought that a lot of the stations would have needed to record both the VHF and medium wave output - certainly when they started splitting frequencies.
    What if you were recording off air VHF, and the tx failed, but something was broadcast on the MW which required a recording, you could be in trouble?

As a spotty teenage radio anorak, I got a tour of the Radio Forth studios in Edinburgh in 1977.

There was a central control area where the main control desk was located. The desk faced the main on air studio through the glass and there was a big pair of KEF's on the wall.

I remember being shown a pair of the aforementioned B77's for logging, and they were fed by an FM tuner. It was explained that the default monitor audio used in both the control room (this was in the days where an engineer actually did sit in the studio and monitor the output) and in the on-air studio was the off-air FM signal, not the direct output of the desks so if the FM tx failed,the presenter and or engineer would be aware of it.

The AM signal was also available at both desks (although rarely listened to) and there was a circuit that monitored the presence of a signal, as well as a VU meter on each desk, as this was the transmission that most listeners were tuned in to.
    The circuit would give a warning (a red flashing light I think) if the AM signal failed.

I can't remember if it was explained how the logging B77 would switch from the FM to the AM in the event of an FM failure, but I'm guessing it may have been done manually.

I can also remember in the same rack were a pair of Technics open reel decks mounted one on top of the other. There decks were unusual in that the record and erase heads were mounted on opposite sides of a vertical unit - google Technics RS 1700 and you'll see what I mean.

When phone in's were happening, the studio output was recorded on the top deck, then the tape travelled down and round the capstans of the lower deck, then back up to the playback head on the top deck which then went to the main desk. I'm guessing the tape speed was 3.75ips, as this was how the 7 second delay was achieved.

At the start of a phone in section of a show, the engineer in master control would kill the output of the on air studio, play a 7 second jingle, then bring up the output of the Technics deck which had already been set up to record the on-air studio output.

Tell todays kids about things like that and they don't believe you !!
  • Options
    reverse_diodereverse_diode Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was rather pompous of DLT to resign in this way - he'd had a good run on R1. He'd have been better to quit in a dignified way.
  • Options
    dbuk10dbuk10 Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Sid Law wrote: »
    I can't remember if it was explained how the logging B77 would switch from the FM to the AM in the event of an FM failure, but I'm guessing it may have been done manually.

Logging machines were normally four track machines. The IBA Code of Practice stipulated the following track layout:

Track 1: VHF Stereo A Signal
    Track 2: MF Signal
    Track 3: VHF Stereo B Signal
    Track 4: Timing Signal (e.g. Speaking Clock)
  • Options
    Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dbuk10 wrote: »
    Logging machines were normally four track machines. The IBA Code of Practice stipulated the following track layout:

Track 1: VHF Stereo A Signal
    Track 2: MF Signal
    Track 3: VHF Stereo B Signal
    Track 4: Timing Signal (e.g. Speaking Clock)

That explains it then. Thanks for that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a previous life the Station I was on used video recorders on long speed to log the shows. then re-used them after so long!
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we don't have the full recording, then at least is there a written transcript online somewhere?