HTC One (M7) poor battery - any ideas?

ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,317
Forum Member
✭✭
I've got a HTC One (M7) bought last July, it's been updated to KitKat 4.4 and running Sense 5.5, but has never been rooted or had any other ROM on it.

I've disabled everything I don't use so there's very little running in the background (FB, Twitter etc), and am using all the battery saving things in Android (Wireless and Mobile Data off when not needed etc) and can get quite a few days standby between charges, but actually use the phone for anything (calls, texts, internet browsing, simple card game, listen to music etc) and the battery drains at 1% per 2 minutes (roughly) - I dread to think how much it would drain if I played video or an action game .

I factory reset it yesterday and charged it to 100%, then reinstalled just what I want on there and set up the apps - took me 2 hours and the battery was down to 38%.

Any ideas what's causing it?

Cheers

Comments

• prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member
    Have you tried a factory reset? There have been some reports of short battery life following the KitKat upgrade which were cured by a factory reset (make sure to backup first)

I easily get a day out of mine.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    prking wrote: »
    Have you tried a factory reset? There have been some reports of short battery life following the KitKat upgrade which were cured by a factory reset (make sure to backup first)

I easily get a day out of mine.

That's what I did yesterday as I had to set it all up again and redownload/install all the apps.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it simply updating?

Saying that, batteries last 300 charges so that could be semi gone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Is it simply updating?

No no updating, that's all done - the battery just drains when I use it for anything other leaving it on standby.

Hmmm 300 charges? that's not great on a phone that needs daily charging and has a non-replaceable battery:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I know all phones are 300 charges.

Some laptops give 1000 charges but there I am of the thought that the main trick is to always undercharge them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Some laptops give 1000 charges but there I am of the thought that the main trick is to always undercharge them.

300 charges would be ok if the batteries weren't sealed in and non-user replaceable which seems to be the common design these days - makes the phones look nicer as a unibody design but totally impractical in the long run - style over substance.
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member

I'm not sure you are correct. Even the early design lithium based batteries had a life of 400 charge cycles, so I doubt very much that a premium handset would have lower.

And anyway, phones nowadays are designed to try to limit charge cycling and encourage top up charging.
  • MiyagiMiyagi Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a similar thing when i first got my M7 and installed Kitkat. Have you got Location services, specifically Google location reporting and history, switched on, as they are a big culprit for many. What does the battery useage setting say is using the most power? Make sure you have upgraded to the latest version of Maps, as that can be a drain, and i think there's a Location setting in the Camera app too which can cause a drain.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    prking wrote: »
    ...Even the early design lithium based batteries had a life of 400 charge cycles, so I doubt very much that a premium handset would have lower.
    300 has always been the mass produced norm as far as I know.
    And don't forget that lithium polymer used for the flatter batteries of today reduced the number of cycles even further.Sanyo, as ever the leaders, have some new polymer ones which they claim 500 charges.

What I do not quite understand is why use of the newer LiFePO4 type is not made mandatory.
    It is far safer, voltage stable and will do between 2000 and 10,000 charges. I even think it is cheaper or as cheap to make.
  • biggytbiggyt Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    300 has always been the mass produced norm as far as I know.
    And don't forget that lithium polymer used for the flatter batteries of today reduced the number of cycles even further.Sanyo, as ever the leaders, have some new polymer ones which they claim 500 charges.

What I do not quite understand is why use of the newer LiFePO4 type is not made mandatory.
    It is far safer, voltage stable and will do between 2000 and 10,000 charges. I even think it is cheaper or as cheap to make.

This http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10755476/StoreDot-smartphone-battery-charges-in-30-seconds.html also looks exciting
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it simply updating?

That is absolute bullsh!t! I charge my phone once every night. If I did that for 300 days my battery would be 'semi gone' according to you. I am a year in with my M7, charging daily and the battery life is still solid. Still get the same amount of use through the day.

So I don't know where you get this rubbish from.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    ... So I don't know where you get this rubbish from.
    BTW I suspect it is 'average lifespan'. There is no guarantee on purity of the battery to give a minimum amount of charges.
    And manufacturers often, maybe usually acknowledge this too by only giving 6 months
    battery warranty. it is likely classed as a 'consumable'.

Yes, more rubbish.
    :confused: