Forum Member
    nethwen wrote: »
    Three??

Okay, fine :p

Two, which one do you believe?
  • Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    How are kids supposed to know it's great if nobody takes them.

Church is so boring, lol. I mean, regardless of how vehemently you believe it, you have to admit...it's just so boring.
  • Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Church is so boring, lol. I mean, regardless of how vehemently you believe it, you have to admit...it's just so boring.

Tell me about it when i was at school i was forced to go there by school for harvest festival ,Christmas or other events.some of my mates and me got told off when a teacher overheard us say we got boring church today.he did not let us go out for 3 days>:(.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe you need to find the right Church :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been lurking on this thread. I'm definitely more of a lurker on here than a poster...

It's definitely not boring. You just haven't been to any good ones. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    Maybe you need to find the right Church :)

Why do some religious people just not get in there heads some people find church boring and a waste they will just have to accept it.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It can be boring for children. That's why we have Sunday schools.
    Tell me about it when i was at school i was forced to go there by school for harvest festival ,Christmas or other events.some of my mates and me got told off when a teacher overheard us say we got boring church today.he did not let us go out for 3 days>:(.
    It was all part of your education.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can be boring for children. That's why we have Sunday schools.

It was all part of your education.

who cares it was f****** boring ,sometimes my mum called my to school say i'm sick.so i did not have to go to church.

why not get into your head some people do not want nothing to do with religion and why should we.
  • jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,627
    Forum Member

I was obliged to attend mass almost every Sunday for the whole time I was at school, right up to finishing A-Levels.

What I now remember most was hoping (almost praying) that the sermon would be short and we could just get out of there ASAP.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

a very large number of children attend c of e and catholic schools and have regular trips to church.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do some religious people just not get in there heads some people find church boring and a waste they will just have to accept it.

It was only a suggestion :)

I don't think Church is boring. I don't think it's the most exciting time in the world but I don't go to Church seeking excitement!
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funnily enough I'm just watching a Simpsons episode in which Reverend Lovejoy has to wake up his snoozing congregation with the sound effect of a bird.
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to find church terribly boring as a child but I do remember a visiting clergyman who used to have my mother desperately trying to contain herself. It wasn't really done to laugh in church. I was too young to understand what was funny but my mother was shaking and my Dad had a grin on his face a mile wide. The clergyman looked very serious. He was just one of those people with a very wicked and dry sense of humour and his conjugations increased where ever he went. When this was talked about in an interview for the church magazine he made some comment about hoping that the next parish wouldn't expect the same from him as he wasn't as young as he was, I can't remember the exact words but the implication was that he was being credited with fathering lots of children to swell his congregation.

Was at a funeral in the week after Easter back in the family church and the clergyman was almost beyond boring. He didn't mention the deceased for ages. It was as if he had forgotten he was doing funeral and was just rehashing his Easter address. If the old clergyman from my youth had done it, it would have been so much better and much more of a comfort to the bereaved. Mind you for that to have happened there would have had to be a resurrection.
    Some clergymen are great but some should be stuck in a theology library and not let near people.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol

church is boring. endless getting up to sing dirges, reading snippets of the worlds dullest book from badly typeset pages. everyone looking at who is wearing what and who is sitting where.

the minister trying to sound jolly when reading out the flower rota. The fake enthusiasm, the endless faux cheeriness

its a bloody mind-numbing hour
  • littleboolittleboo Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    contrarian wrote: »
    lol

church is boring. endless getting up to sing dirges, reading snippets of the worlds dullest book from badly typeset pages. everyone looking at who is wearing what and who is sitting where.

the minister trying to sound jolly when reading out the flower rota. The fake enthusiasm, the endless faux cheeriness

its a bloody mind-numbing hour

When were you last in church and where ?
  • tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Christmas starts with obscene consumerism and drinks at our house.
    I'm sure that we'd like more details of the obscene consumerism that you admit happens at your house. :)
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The role the shops have played in demoting Christmas cant be ignored.
    I remember not that long ago only DIY or furniture shops would be open the day after boxing day. And I suspect its that memory fuels people into thinking they need to buy for 4-5 days after Christmas when all the shops are going to be open Boxing Day.

Its become just a very expensive bank holiday
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was a Christian I always felt guilty that I found church boring and tried to avoid admitting to myself that it was painfully boring. I was in denial.

Of course, now that I've long since stopped believing in superstitions I have no problem admitting that church is unbelievably boring.
    I'm sure there may be others who are still Christian but afraid to admit to themselves that they find church boring.

That said, I think I'd rather sit through a boring church service than be stuck with the more excitable members of the congregation; ie. the insufferable born-again types who believe it's their duty to spread the joys of Christianity to everyone. These are usually the ones who run the Youth Clubs and the Sunday Schools ("get them while they're young" being their MO). I used to go to a Youth Club which was run by such nutters. Some of the crap they'd come out, whilst hilarious, was also quite concerning.

Highlights include: "Sex before marriage is like sticking a Jammy pancake in a DVD player- you break it"
    "You either accept the Bible in its entirety or not at all" (Okay, I chose "not at all")
    Going off to Japan to save all the lost souls there (ie. the significant number of non-Christians)
    "This protein proves Jesus lives within all of us."
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Yes love it is uplifting and demonstrates their indomitable spirit under such tragic circumstances.

.I wrote to my MP about both Christian refugees and the Syrians and my "disappointment."

The letter I got in return was disgraceful, I have replied.

More or less a point scoring Labour Party Political broadcast slamming the Tories, without reference to any of my points.

Syrian refugees are also being subjected to the most horrendous treatment in Greece.

The tragic news of the last two days isn't helping my mood!

There are awful things happening in the world. :(

Makes me feel ashamed to be human at times. I have to keep reminding myself of the good things in the world too, which far outweigh all of the bad things that we keep hearing about in the media.

I can quite believe your MP's attitude. They don't want to know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the same way there is no written sources from those times to catagorically confirm when Jesus was actually born, you mean?

The Bible certainly isn't a reliable source.

I never said they had any relevance to the Nativity, I said the way Christmas is celebrated, and has been for centuries, is from almost entirely Pagan origins.

BIB - But my argument is, that it isn't. :p Shall we agree to disagree? :D

I imagine most Christians are aware that we'll never know Jesus' actual birthdate. The 25th December is where we celebrate His birth. I think Tertullian in the second century postulated that Christ died on the same date as the Anunciation - 25th April.

I think what you mean is, that the Bible isn't a reliable source for those that don't believe any of it. It is a most reliable source for Christians though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    topaz10 wrote: »
    'Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see'

I thank God for all who have faith in Him and His Son.

Amen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However Christianity was only made legal in Rome in AD 313 so whilst there may have been Christianity in Rome from the first century AD it wasn't widespread and it was only in AD 391 the worship of other gods was made illegal. That would probably suggest Christianity wasn't that widespread by the time the Romans left Britain @ AD 430.

Rome and Christianity

The same with Christianity in this country, the first Archbishop of Canterbury, Augustine, took office in 597 AD and it was only then the widespread conversion to Christianity really started to replace Anglo-Saxon polytheism, even the that conversion would hardly likely to have been rapid and could have taken decades.

Anglo-Saxon Christianity
    Anglo-Saxon paganism

Therefore as the Pagan religions, both Nordic and Anglo-Saxon, were probably firmly established in this country between the end of the Roman occupation and the establishment of the first Archbishop of Canterbury it would seem quite possible many of the Pagan traditions now linked with celebrating Christmas were established in that time frame.

I'm sorry Glawster, but Christianity wasn't only made tolerant in Rome in AD 313. Constantine granted full tolerance of Christianity - and all religions - throughout the Roman Empire. And Christianity had spread far and wide from c.33AD, so I don't know where you're just getting Rome from in all of this. Jerusalem was the very first Church.

Saint Augustine of Canterbury was not the first Christian to set foot on our shores. He was sent by Pope Leo the Great in AD 597 because of the Angles, Saxons and Jutes had brought their paganism with them when they invaded, and Christianity was being suppressed.

Here are some examples of early Christianity in Britain:

1) Tertullian wrote c. AD 200: "all the limits of the Spains, and the diverse nations of the Gauls, and the haunts of the Britons, inaccessible to the Romans, but subjugated to Christ" 'In Answer to the Jews'.

2) Scholars say that one of the earliest known Christian artefacts in Britain is dated at 182 AD: 'The Sator Square', engraved on a stone, found in Manchester in the 1970s. It is a wordplay and a secret code, with the letters like so:

S A T O R
    A R E P O
    T E N E T
    O P E R A
    R O T A S

which, amongst other things, spells out PATER NOSTER (in the form of a cross) - the first words of the Lord's Prayer. And four letters remaining - 2 A's and 2 O's which stand for, Alpha and Omega; Christ, as the First and the Last.

This link discusses it further.

Quite a few of these have been discovered, and the earliest was found in Pompeii c. 79 AD.

3) The recent discovery of the 'Amelia Finger Ring', at Corbridge/Hadrian's Wall, has also been seen as an early Christian artefact. This beautiful gold betrothal ring, found in pristine condition, has the engraving, 'Amelia May You Live. In God'. The ring has presently been dated at between 2nd and 4th centuries AD.

4) Saint Alban is Britain's first known Christian martyr, died 3rd or 4th centuries.

5) There were two British bishops, a priest and a deacon at the Council/Synod of Arles in 314 AD.

-
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    who cares it was f****** boring ,sometimes my mum called my to school say i'm sick.so i did not have to go to church.

why not get into your head some people do not want nothing to do with religion and why should we.
    Your parent told lies to the school??? :o
    nethwen wrote: »
    I'm sorry Glawster, but Christianity wasn't only made tolerant in Rome in AD 313. Constantine granted full tolerance of Christianity - and all religions - throughout the Roman Empire. And Christianity had spread far and wide from c.33AD, so I don't know where you're just getting Rome from in all of this. Jerusalem was the very first Church.

Saint Augustine of Canterbury was not the first Christian to set foot on our shores. He was sent by Pope Leo the Great in AD 597 because of the Angles, Saxons and Jutes had brought their paganism with them when they invaded, and Christianity was being suppressed.

Here are some examples of early Christianity in Britain:

1) Tertullian wrote c. AD 200: "all the limits of the Spains, and the diverse nations of the Gauls, and the haunts of the Britons, inaccessible to the Romans, but subjugated to Christ" 'In Answer to the Jews'.

2) Scholars say that one of the earliest known Christian artefacts in Britain is dated at 182 AD: 'The Sator Square', engraved on a stone, found in Manchester in the 1970s. It is a wordplay and a secret code, with the letters like so:

S A T O R
    A R E P O
    T E N E T
    O P E R A
    R O T A S

which, amongst other things, spells out PATER NOSTER (in the form of a cross) - the first words of the Lord's Prayer. And four letters remaining - 2 A's and 2 O's which stand for, Alpha and Omega; Christ, as the First and the Last.

This link discusses it further.

Quite a few of these have been discovered, and the earliest was found in Pompeii c. 79 AD.

3) The recent discovery of the 'Amelia Finger Ring', at Corbridge/Hadrian's Wall, has also been seen as an early Christian artefact. This beautiful gold betrothal ring, found in pristine condition, has the engraving, 'Amelia May You Live. In God'. The ring has presently been dated at between 2nd and 4th centuries AD.

4) Saint Alban is Britain's first known Christian martyr, died 3rd or 4th centuries.

5) There were two British bishops, a priest and a deacon at the Council/Synod of Arles in 314 AD.

-
    A very informative post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, fine :p

Two, which one do you believe?

I believe that both narratives are part of the Nativity as a whole.
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, it isn't great at all, really. If it was then more people would probably go.