How well do FM's think Lena will do year?

misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
Forum Member
✭✭✭
First off this is not meant to be a provocative, 'Lets, slate Lena thread'.

I liked her song from last year, and get the impression she is a sweet, if slightly eccentric girl(not necessarily bad) and wish her no ill will.

I just think having listened to her song a few times, it doesn't have the grab that 'Satellite' did. In fact I found it a bit something and nothing.

I am also not sure it is a good thing to come back the year after, if I am correct it has only be done three times in the past.

I also wonder if there may not be some sort of backlash, in the same way as when TaTU represented Russia.

I know its a bit of a different situation but there was a backlash then when it seemed a country were parachuting in a well established, popular act.

Comments

• BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she will finish around about 12th
  • Salford_WhoSalford_Who Posts: 4,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Germany have returned to form with their quirky song that works in Germany, but not really anywhere else. Lena will garner a few extra votes, but could end up embarrassing for Germany.

I expect her to finish between 15 and 18
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot better than fans are predicting : they appear to have lost interest in her this year and completely written off her chances.

But she's an attractive performer and the defending champion and will have the whole arena cheering her to the rafters : it wouldn't surprise me if she went top 5.
  • Salford_WhoSalford_Who Posts: 4,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The biggest problem she has is that no only is she competing against the other songs (of which hers is not the best), but she ISA so competing against satellite, and taken by a stranger is far inferior to that too.
  • BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she'll hover around the 10th mark - Satellite was a lot more instant than TBAS. But then Satellite was a big hit around a lot of countries participating in ESC before the contest last year, how's TBAS doing? Has it actually been released in other countries yet? She's showing as a fairly solid 5th/6th place in the betting right now
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinon, 'Taken By A Stranger' is the sort of song that you might grow to like after hearing for a couple of days, but it lacks the immediate appeal to garner masses of televotes that 'Satellite' had - and because of this, I think it'll do relatively poorly and finish somewhere in the third quartile.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    My prediction: between 6th and 10th. I'd hate for her to do poorly in front of her home crowd and have her Eurovision experience 'clouded' in any way... I hope she can do well!
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The biggest problem she has is that no only is she competing against the other songs (of which hers is not the best), but she ISA so competing against satellite, and taken by a stranger is far inferior to that too.

I thought Satellite was a really annoying song. This song is more palatable but is also more downbeat so may not be considered 'eurovision' enough by some.
  • Only_YouOnly_You Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    8th - 6th
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a massive Lena fan. By Taken By A Stranger SUCKS!! It has no climax or anything. It's not even catchy. IT IS SO BORING! Urrgh. I could rant so much about the situation. There are so many songs that could have done Germany well on her new album. So I'm really pissed about it. I want it to do well because I'm a fan. But it probably wont.
  • Suzy07Suzy07 Posts: 2,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Taken By A Stranger, but it might be a bit low-key for Eurovision. Still, I think she'll come in around 8th - 12th.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    5 places lower than if they entered Push Forward (assuming they killed off the dodgy key change first)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Urrgh I hate Push Forward :( Even more boring then Taken by a stranger.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    I almost think TBAS is a bit too good for Eurovision. I think it's a great song but probably not right for Eurovision and I definitely don't think it'll replicate the success of Satellite on the night.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she has one of the best songs and juries are gonna love it - i think a respectable 8 -10th place
  • JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a fan.
    Think she will finish between 11-15.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its definately the best produced and experimental song this year

it needs a better melody and maybe a bit of an angsty moment or some kind of vocal breakdown or high point to split it up a bit
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It still doesn't do anything for me and the last minute or so is very drab. I hope it's bottom 10 and I think it will be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i like that its poles apart from satellite

a previous winner coming back and desperately trying to recapture their previous win like charlotte perelli nilson , niamh kavanagh or dana international NEVER really quite works for me - this total new direction kinda makes her sound like a eurovision debut - which i respect
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope it scomes bottom 10 because its what it deserves. - From a Lena fan.
  • ic1maleic1male Posts: 1,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like anything about her performance last year, except when she finished and left the stage. However, I will watch her again with an open mind and see what she signs this year.
  • Jade =)Jade =) Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it will do too well but it might get half way up the score board. I just think that with her singing again this year people are automatically going to compare it to Satellite and it my opinion Taken By A Stranger isn't as good as her last entry.
  • QuizmikeQuizmike Posts: 5,972
    Forum Member
    Top ten is nailed on (if I can say that during Easter?)
  • bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    23rd - its awful
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i cant wait to see her performance