Options

Dad's freesat box won't work on new tv?

Hi,

I just bought a new tv for my dad. With his old tv, he had to get a freesat disk wired in to his house, and used a freesat box to get digital, because freeview won't work with his telly.

Now this new tv comes configured for freeview, which of course won't work for him, but I thought if I just plugged in his old freesat box, he could get freesat channels through that, but it's not working. If I go to install, you can set it to search for channels and it always comes up, that there are no channels. But the freesat box is all plugged in and a green light on it shows there's power going on it. I don't suppose anyone has any advice for me to sort this out?
I am trying to do this for my dad because he is 80!

Comments

• Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,630
    Forum Member
    You will not be able to "tune" in the TV itself to the satellite channels, Instead you need to tell the TV to which external input the Freesat box is connected (usally with an HDMI lead or possibly a SCART lead). There will be a button on the TV remote marked AV or Source or Input which lets you do this. Hopefully the TV is one which remembers which input it was last using when it is turned on again from standby as this will safe having to do this every time and possibly avoid ongoing confusion. You then use the Freesat box remote to change channel etc.

If it is not too late you may want to think about taking the TV and Freesat box back and exchanging them for a TV which has an inbuilt Freesat tuner.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    You will not be able to "tune" in the TV itself to the satellite channels, Instead you need to tell the TV to which external input the Freesat box is connected (usally with an HDMI lead or possibly a SCART lead). There will be a button on the TV remote marked AV or Source or Input which lets you do this. Hopefully the TV is one which remembers which input it was last using when it is turned on again from standby as this will safe having to do this every time and possibly avoid ongoing confusion. You then use the Freesat box remote to change channel etc.

If it is not too late you may want to think about taking the TV and Freesat box back and exchanging them for a TV which has an inbuilt Freesat tuner.

thanks very much Gomezz, I am taking this all on board - sounds very helpful.