Options

Are you supposed to tip hairdressers?

GalindaGalinda Posts: 695
Forum Member
✭✭

Getting my hair cut/highlighted this week and it's going to cost me near £100. Is it expected you give a tip on top of that? Not used to going to salons as most of my life my mum's hairdresser friend has done my hair!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I would not tip a hairdresser . Especially if you are paying 100quid already . The only person I tip is the takeaway delivery driver (if he has put his foot down ) :D
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do, it used to always be the case. Not sure now tho.
  • Options
    lymlym Posts: 2,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, they get paid to do their job.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tip = above and beyond what would be normally expected so if they turn up in scotland while they normally operate in devon is worth tipping but just doing what they should do shouldn't get anything
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do, but I've known them since I was a kid and one since they were a kid, I also kiss them, I doubt that's expected either :D
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Galinda wrote: »

Getting my hair cut/highlighted this week and it's going to cost me near £100. Is it expected you give a tip on top of that? Not used to going to salons as most of my life my mum's hairdresser friend has done my hair!

A hundred quid to get your hair coloured and cut???? :eek:
  • Options
    bostin_austinbostin_austin Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I spend £35 for a cut and blow, and tip my hairdresser £5.
  • Options
    ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treme wrote: »

Exactly, money to waste, probably on benefits too. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I always tip my hairdresser at least 10%. That way next time she'll do a fab job as always.
  • Options
    XFactorFanatic1XFactorFanatic1 Posts: 1,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always tip my barber but I pay cheaper. Cost me like 7 pound to get it cut, I normally give them 8. 9 if they do a great job.
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always tip my hairdresser at least 10%. That way next time she'll do a fab job as always.

If that's what it takes to make sure someone does a good job that they should be doing anyway, I best tell my boss to start tipping me or my performance will drop.
  • Options
    kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't tip the hairdressers where I live as they are utterly atrocious, but with my old hair dresser it cost between £28-£33 depending what I wanted, so I always rounded it upto the nearest £5 since he always did a great job plus I was always able to have a proper laugh with him and none of the usual "are you going out this weekend" shite that I get these days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What an unnecessary and nasty assumption to make. As the saying goes, don't assume, it makes an ass out of u and me. It's not a waste of money if it's something you really want, and she's entitled to spend her money as she wishes.

Not at all surprised it's as expensive as it is, highlights often are, it's fairly skilled worked and not the sort of thing an amateur can do with any success. I personally wouldn't tip if I were shelling out that much, the hairdresser's getting enough out of me as it is without me giving her extra on top of that!
  • Options
    GalindaGalinda Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Where the hell did that come from?! Work full time, pay my taxes thank you very much!

Having highlights for the first time which can be pricey, thought I'd treat myself to a re-style too!

Thanks for the responses everyone else :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually tip around £3-5 if they've done an amazing job. I usually pay around £50 for a haircut, which isn't often! If I look in the mirror at the end and think "Wow, I love it" then I'll give a tip. And I'll use her again. A couple of years ago a hairdresser from Toni & Guy told me that they earn their money through tips. So if they have a quiet day they take home a low wage. Whether this is true or she was hoping for a big tip, I've no idea :D
  • Options
    PunkchickPunkchick Posts: 2,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I tip, depending on what I am having done, it costs me between £55-£120 a visit, and I will tip him between £5-£10. I also tip the shampoo guy £3 or £5 if he has helped out with the colour as well. I searched high and low for a great hairdresser after my last one moved abroad, so I am willing to pay for him.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    When I used to go to the hairdressers regularly I would always tip the shampoo girl, not always the stylist - it would depend on happy I was with the outcome.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    There is no point in tipping as it is taxed these days.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I always give mine a £3 tip, I have been going to her for years and she always does a good job. They also get paid crap wages so I have heard so tips are nice and they seem to really appreciate the extra money. It's a job in the service industry and you tip waiting staff and sometimes bar staff so why not the person that cuts and colours your hair.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treme wrote: »

Depending on exactly what's being done, that's actually quite cheap!
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    When I used to go to the hairdressers regularly I would always tip the shampoo girl, not always the stylist - it would depend on happy I was with the outcome.

I thought this was the tradition and its what I do too, though theoretically the minimum wage has lessened the need to have wages topped up with gratuities. The stylist is not a low-paid worker (if the salon is decent anyway) and could be insulted to be offered a tip. But shampooists could be on training schemes rather than a wage, so I give them £2 - unless they have long nails and don't know how to use their hands without them digging into my scalp :p
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't, but that's because my hairdresser owns the business,and is also the rudest man in the world, too (or, at the very least, in Selby)...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Vile troll.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Looking at the title, I had this vision of people going around pushing hairdressers over the edge of cliffs.
  • Options
    tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    lesleyanne wrote: »
    Depending on exactly what's being done, that's actually quite cheap!

Is it? :eek: