The Tennis Thread (Part 21)

Comments

• Ian AberdonIan Aberdon Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great to hear Sabine is into another final - hopefully an upturn on her form & fortunes. :)
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A first Premier-level title beckons for either Errani or Barthel. With a comparitively weak entry this was always a strong possibility.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, just heard about the DC doubles! Second longest match in history!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21306598
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    in Paris Sara is in the final of both singles and doubles
    she already took the Australian doubles title

ERRANI 2013
  • Magpie11Magpie11 Posts: 9,294
    Forum Member
    Come on Mona. Beginning to realise her potential.

BARTHEL 2013
  • DizzleDizzle Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Barthel and Lisicki knocking on the top 10 door this year. German tennis is looking very bright indeed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's pretty bad tbh. It's amazing to think she actually won a slam in the first place.

I was one of those people predicting her to totally dominate the women's game at the beginning of last year, I must admit. It seems silly now but I cant blame myself for thinking it at the time - some of her 2011 form was next level good. Now it looks like she's becoming one of those 'fall from grace' kind of players we've become accustomed to seeing over the last few years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Has anyone ever been to Roland Garros? I am in Paris at the same time but want to know what its like! Easy to get to? Nice atmosphere? Thanks!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kirilenko beat Lisicki in the Pattaya Open final 5-7 6-1 7-6 (7-1) :(

Lisicki served for the match at 6-5, but was broken to love (although she did break Maria when she served out for the match at 5-3)! Plenty of positives to take, and now it's just onwards and upwards :)
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dizzle wrote: »
    I was one of those people predicting her to totally dominate the women's game at the beginning of last year, I must admit. It seems silly now but I cant blame myself for thinking it at the time - some of her 2011 form was next level good. Now it looks like she's becoming one of those 'fall from grace' kind of players we've become accustomed to seeing over the last few years.

Her 2011 form was generally great and she seemed to peak at the right times - Wimbledon and the YECs chief among them. But 3 months before her Wimbledon victory she lost in the first round of an ITF event. She was never solid.

I actually think she'll pull herself together at some point and win another slam or two - maybe not until next year, maybe even longer. I certainly don't see her dominating, because she just doesn't have the game to pull her through rough patches.
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dizzle wrote: »
    I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Barthel and Lisicki knocking on the top 10 door this year. German tennis is looking very bright indeed.

That's what people have been saying for over a year now though. Since then Sabine had dropped from the top 50 and Mona has had four consecutive first round slam exits! Obviously this week is a bit of progress, but there's a lot of work to be done. Mona doesn't even travel with a full-time coach!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spain are in serious danger of going out of the DC: they are 2-1 down, and both Canadian single players look strong. All Milos needs to do today is win against Granollers and Canada are through! I think Ferrer and Almagro not playing has really hurt them.

Czech Republic, Argentina, France, Serbia and Kazakhstan are all through. France are looking good and so long as Gasquet and Tsonga keep playing, they could go far.
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mona wins the final! Good stuff.
  • Magpie11Magpie11 Posts: 9,294
    Forum Member
    Yay, well played Mona.

She got seriously nervous in the second set but managed to pull herself together in the breaker.

No idea what happened in the Aussie Open but apart from that what a start to the year she's had. Her ranking goes up to 28 now.
  • hallstarhallstar Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abby103 wrote: »
    Kirilenko beat Lisicki in the Pattaya Open final 5-7 6-1 7-6 (7-1) :(

Lisicki served for the match at 6-5, but was broken to love (although she did break Maria when she served out for the match at 5-3)! Plenty of positives to take, and now it's just onwards and upwards :)

Hope she can take the positives of coming back from 14-40 down at 2-5 and not get too down on the match at 6-5 followed by the tie break.

It does seem my plans to follow tennis more out side the grand slams seem to be holding up, watched this match on a stream with French commentary which was strange, still it was better than Andrew Castle.
    Forum Member
    bad luck Sara.... more finals to come soon though, surely

ERRANI 2013
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hallstar wrote: »
    Hope she can take the positives of coming back from 14-40 down at 2-5 and not get too down on the match at 6-5 followed by the tie break.

It does seem my plans to follow tennis more out side the grand slams seem to be holding up, watched this match on a stream with French commentary which was strange, still it was better than Andrew Castle.

I watch a lot of tennis on streams with foreign commentary. It's far preferable to not be able to understand the drivel these guys come out with.
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nadal has left for Chile, which can only be a good sign.

I read yesterday that his left knee still hurts. That doesn't sound too good going forward.:cry: If he has another lapse this year that could be curtains.

At any rate I suspect he'll have to sacrifice a few hard court tournaments from now on if he wants to keep going for a few more years. Of course, that might mean having to settle for a lower ranking, outside the top 4.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bad luck Sara.... more finals to come soon though, surely

ERRANI 2013

Hope not. Her ridiculously over the top (and possibly tactical) grunting spoils any final she may be in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Revenga wrote: »
    Her 2011 form was generally great and she seemed to peak at the right times - Wimbledon and the YECs chief among them. But 3 months before her Wimbledon victory she lost in the first round of an ITF event. She was never solid.

I actually think she'll pull herself together at some point and win another slam or two - maybe not until next year, maybe even longer. I certainly don't see her dominating, because she just doesn't have the game to pull her through rough patches.

You're right, a very high highs and low lows kind of player, but I was just convinced (at the time) that she'd iron out the creases and become more solid. Right now I don't know what to think. Hopefully she'll pull it back and get some decent results.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spain out of Davis Cup! USA could be heading out too, with Querrey a set down...
    Forum Member
    well done Sara on winning Paris doubles title (with Roberta).
    second doubles title in two weeks

ERRANI 2013
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Revenga wrote: »

I thought Petra was going to dominate the Wta after her superb 2011, however she has not lived up to her potential since then. It's not at Ivanovic levels of breakdown yet, but she needs a good few months to stabilise her career. She certainly should win at least a couple more slams, however I also thought that of poor Ana.

Fingers crossed that Kvitova does get her act together as she is a real threat when at her best.

Week off from the tour to make way for the Fed Cup, something I just can't get excited about, the format is just too clunky.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spain out of Davis Cup! USA could be heading out too, with Querrey a set down...

Querrey edged the next 3 sets for the tie. Whatever happened to the Bryan Brothers to get USA in such a mess?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nadal is back tomorrow!!! :D

He is playing a doubles match with Monaco, and then on Wednesday he will play his first singles match since the epic at Wimbledon. Trying not to have too high expectations but really want to see him do well! Mostly I'm just glad we'll know a lot more about how the knee is doing!
This discussion has been closed.