The Silence of the Lambs

13»

Comments

• Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manhunter is a far better film.
    It made sense that the police were baffled by the seemingly random choice of victims until the thing that connected them all was worked out.
    (My favourite scene is when he realises watching the home movies)

SOTL
    Could never get over the plot hole that meant it wasn't until HL suggested they trace the first victim and look in the area she was killed and the people she was connected with.
    Would have thought that whole scenario would have been investigated already, they knew the bodies were turning up miles from where they were killed and lived.

Too much lets make this "creepy" and extraordinary when most murders are mundane and just tragic. People can get damaged so easily, both psychologically and physically.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've read the psycho cannibal killer Jeffrey Dahmer was apparently affected by watching 'Silence of the Lambs'. Does anyone think there's any truth in this?

Doubtful.

Dahmer's murders were committed between 1978 and 1991. He was arrested in July 1991, and convicted in February 1992.

The Silence of the Lambs was released in February 1991, only five months before his arrest and several years after he first started killing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Dahmer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silence_of_the_Lambs_(film)
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could never get over the plot hole that meant it wasn't until HL suggested they trace the first victim and look in the area she was killed and the people she was connected with.
    Would have thought that whole scenario would have been investigated already, they knew the bodies were turning up miles from where they were killed and lived.
    It's sort-of explained in the film by saying the first body killed was not the first body found. Starling notes that it was hidden better than the others, and interprets this as meaning he took less care as he become accustomed to doing it. All the victims were investigated, but they didn't pay special attention to the first.

It was a mistake by the FBI, but for me acceptable as a plot point. FBI make mistakes in real life too. This one was necessary for the film. I thought the theme of coveting worked well as drama, first as applied to men coveting Starling herself (and there is more about FBI sexism in the book; and this leads into Starling's eventual alienation from the FBI in the third book), and then to the killer coveting the skins he saw.
    Too much lets make this "creepy" and extraordinary when most murders are mundane and just tragic. People can get damaged so easily, both psychologically and physically.
    Well, it's entertainment, not a documentary. In real life, NCIS mostly investigate people stealing paper clips, but that's not what the TV show is going to be about. It jars for me more in Criminal Minds, where every week they have a once-in-a-lifetime weirdo.
  • Philip DaltonPhilip Dalton Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    Doubtful.

Dahmer's murders were committed between 1978 and 1991. He was arrested in July 1991, and convicted in February 1992.

The Silence of the Lambs was released in February 1991, only five months before his arrest and several years after he first started killing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Dahmer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silence_of_the_Lambs_(film)

Yes, but it depends when the first time that he actually ate someone was. He was definitely a cannibal and may have got the idea to do this from from the film.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still highly unlikely IMO given that he had already been killing since 1978, 13 years before the film was released, and once the film was released it was only 5 months before he was arrested.

I can't find anything suggesting that he was influenced by the film or the original book, nor anything to say that he only started eating his victims right near the end of his spree after TSOTL came out.