Options

Explosion at Boston Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    I'm a bit surprised by the discussion of it being possibly an IRA (or IRA inspired?) attack, but perhaps that's merely a symptom of getting too used to Islamic terrorism being discussed on here and people being genuinely open to considering who could be behind this by looking at a larger spectrum than the 'usual suspects'.

Many Irish people for decades were the usual suspects. Stopped and searched at airports, often random paddies arrested, tortured and beaten into confession for IRA attacks, such as the birmingham 6 or the guilford 4. Irish people still face discrimination in Britain with active discrimination against the traveller community and the BNP/far right stoking up hatred in Northern Ireland against the catholic community.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but you are either drunk or stupid or both.

I'm neither - but YOU are an arrant liar.

You said very specifically -
    For the previous 4 pages he was discussing IRA.

...and it's PERFECTLY clear to anyone who cares to check those four pages in question that you're a liar, as I have already detailed;
    The discussion was on page 63...

I didn't post ANYTHING about them on page 59 , nothing about them on page 60, nothing about them on page 61, I posted one comment about the Irish problem as whole on page 62...

I apologise for becoming involved with such a nonsense

Do you also apologise for the above lie?
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say it's a smart move by the young saudi man to volunteer to have his apartment searched. It takes away any doubt straight away - obviously it goes without saying he should be just as entitled to privacy as the next person, but he's obviously smart enough to realise that there are plenty of idiots who see the color of his skin and assume instant guilt, so he's doing what he can to prove publicly that he had nothing to do with it.

Its a sad sign of the times that some random Arab student who falls victim to a terrorist attack then has to clear his name, but I agree he did the right thing.

My gut feeling says this will be a lone nut - either Unabomber type, or self-radicalised American muslim.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm neither - but YOU are an arrant liar.
    Or they're just tired & they mistook you for someone else or misremembered, forget about it.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    Its a sad sign of the times that some random Arab student who falls victim to a terrorist attack then has to clear his name, but I agree he did the right thing.

My gut feeling says this will be a lone nut - either Unabomber type, or self-radicalised American muslim.

Mine says the same.
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    fox now saying pressure cooker with serial number intact found. pics being shown
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if they've spoken to anyone who was turned down for a place in the race?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine says the same.

Think about this...

TWO bombs, which means two shrapnel-stuffed pressure cookers I.E. 'kin heavy...in two separate bags...

One person???
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    I'm sorry but you are either drunk or stupid or both. I asked you to please not derail the thread with long discussions re The IRA , you chose to shout at me. This is the only thread about the Boston bombing and I appreciated all the updates.
    I apologise for becoming involved with such a nonsense and being part of the derailment.

Phylo, at no point, has implied any link between the IRA and the Boston bombing. The whole point about the IRA came about from another fm #1468 to which many fms responded. ALL threads go slightly off-topic from time-to-time, and this just veered into a slightly different discussion...temporarily
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    I wonder if they've spoken to anyone who was turned down for a place in the race?

You've wondered this a few times now. Why do you think it would be worth speaking to those unsuccessful with their race application?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, that could be worth investigating. The way the bombs seemed to be placed for maximum damage to the legs could be a sign of some spite towards the runners. Or it could just be coincidence.

The annual Palestine marathon was cancelled a few months back because Hamas banned women from taking part so the UN cancelled it altogether. That could be another source of grievance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Peopel turn down places for all sorts of reasons....mainly because of injuries although I presume you mean that the 'bomber' somehow warned friends not to run that day. I would guess that the FBI have got that on their 'to do' list
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Just came into this thread to see people saying the IRA might be involved which is bizarre to see the least, especially since some of their funding came from drinkers in Boston bars, it would be the last place they'd attack.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    Yes, that could be worth investigating. The way the bombs seemed to be placed for maximum damage to the legs could be a sign of some spite towards the runners. Or it could just be coincidence.

The annual Palestine marathon was cancelled a few months back because Hamas banned women from taking part so the UN cancelled it altogether. That could be another source of grievance.

Think that is just total coincidence. Think the bomber was just going for maximum impact regardless of where the impact was
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    Just came into this thread to see people saying the IRA might be involved which is bizarre to see the least, especially since some of their funding came from drinkers in Boston bars, it would be the last place they'd attack.

They are not! This all stems from a stupid remark by one fm pages back, and most fms have roundly disputed it!
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    Noone suggested that, it's chinese whispers, someone originally stated that Boston had it coming because some people in Boston funded the IRA decades ago, prompting a wave of criticism, to that poster. Anyway, we've pretty much agreed is OT now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The lid of a pressure cooker is usually slightly stronger than the "pot"...and the "join" between pot and lid is far stronger than both...

The "pot" would give way first after a fraction of a second's pressure buildup within the vessel; when it does rupture, therefore, the shrapnel and fragments will expand rapidly outwards in a ring around the IED at a low height...a "daisy cutter" :(:(:(

The effect could be emphasised greatly by simply taking a file or small angle grinder and cutting grooves in the pot's outside walls - just in the same way an old WWII hand grenade was grooved to make sure it fragmented!

A frighteningly nasty IED....as we all now know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think that is just total coincidence. Think the bomber was just going for maximum impact regardless of where the impact was

You're probably right. I think the images of people with mangled legs are just playing on my mind, but that probably wasn't in the bomber's mind at all when he/they were planning it.
  • Options
    Femme FataleFemme Fatale Posts: 112
    Forum Member

I saw a warning elsewhere about those. Sick, but not surprising. :mad:

I hope to find a genuine charity to make a donation to. I can't afford to give much but if I can help in any small way then I will.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The third victim who died in the blast is a Chinese national, his family don't want him named....

http://www.wbur.org/2013/04/15/live-blog-multiple-explosions-at-boston-marathon-finish-line#3rd-fatality-was-bu-grad-student-no-id-yet
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw a warning elsewhere about those. Sick, but not surprising. :mad:

I hope to find a genuine charity to make a donation to. I can't afford to give much but if I can help in any small way then I will.

I think that this is legit......it is linked from the Boston Globe site:
    http://onefundboston.org/
  • Options
    BorefestBorefest Posts: 9,557
    Forum Member
  • Options
    TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently a letter containing ricin or another poisonous substance has been posted to a US senator.

Could this be a start campaign of terror
This discussion has been closed.