Anyone getting bored of Android?

slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Have been using Android since the HTC Hero was released. Of course there is no doubting its a great and feature rich OS and has been improving immensely. Not really a fan of ios but have tried out Windows phone 8 and think it's pretty decent. Also BlackBerry 10 feels quite nice to.

Just find after using Android now for a good while, feel like a change. Anyone else feel the same way? Just lacking in good hardware though with other operating systems but if HTC did am m8 with Windows phone 8.1 on it I think I'd be very tempted. Really like the user experience with my HTC 8x But its not my full time phone as yet.

What's going on with ubuntu touch? Firefox OS seems a bit limited so I think windows phone 8.1 on some killer hardware would definitely appeal.

So anyone made the switch away.from Android having been a long time user?

Comments

• sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    I felt like this and switched to windows phone 8.

Lasted 6 months before I sold out and purchased an android device again.
  • huwdwhuwdw Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did the same as sethpet but didn't last nearly as long! This was a year ago though and things have changed quite a bit since then.
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being bored of Android is like being bored of life but you have to try the other chocolates in the box before returning to your favourites.:D
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really think an operating system should entertain me. If it does all I want in an efficient way, I am happy. But apparently Android is best at customising every aspect of itself, so you may try this, make it obey its master :D If not good enough and you want a change, I think there's a real possibility HTC is doing One for WP8.1. But despite more features it's still a pretty minimalistic OS UI-wise and it may bore you even quicker.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    As above surely the OS is not what should be providing you entrainment on your device :confused:
  • southladsouthlad Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, was thinking this just yesterday.

Was thinking about switching to Windows phone, especially as Nokia Lumia have great cameras... But the app selection just isn't there yet.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Use a Win8 theme to skin your Android?
  • sdduksdduk Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    I have best of both worlds and to be honest i always go back to my android....use it the most

Love the camera on my Lumia but still love android better just don't like the desktop apps on windows phones

In some ways the widows phone is locked down like the iPhone as well.
  • PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get bored of them after a couple of years and then want a change

I am not a big app user so this is not big on my decisions to get a phone

Currently on Win phone and have no plans on leaving it at the moment, before that I had Android (before that iPhone and Blackberry)

No idea what I will get next, but I don't usually stick with the same OS for more than 2 years
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bored?
    I just use it but with Android I and am happy not being locked into obsolescence or having stuff forced onto me.

And I don't even chaange skin or ROM which of course is an Android can do for the bored.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    you get bored of a phone operating system? really? wow

you need to get out more and get your face off the screens!!there is the whole world out there

FB twiiter etc is not real you know
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Having come from a Windows device to Android myself, the Windows OS is slick and certain aspects are cool but I wont go back there anytime soon.

After a while it was so frustrating as popular and official apps only ever seems to appear on iOS and Android.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did and got an iPhone 5 but getting bored of that now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

you need to get out more and get your face off the screens!!there is the whole world out there

Any need for that post?
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member

Get out more? Maybe you need to do the same considering your tendency for bitchy remarks like that! He ain't the one hovering over the keyboard like a troll....

To the OP

I wouldn't say I am bored of Android, I like how easy it is to manipulate when you know how. My only problem with it is the stock ui, I think now it needs a bit more polish and gloss to make it stand on a similar level to WinPhone and iOS. I have an iPhone 5S, Lumia 1020 and a Moto G.

They all serve a diffent purpose for my needs, however the iPhone is my main phone of choice. When iOS got a lick of paint, it made the phone aesthetically interesting again. Some of the quirks of the previous design has been ironed out.

WinPhone has went through some changes over the last year or so, its developed into a nice polished system. Admittedly the app store leaves a lot to be desired, however most of the main apps like facebook et al are available. Battery life is comparable to other top end handsets, multitasking has improved a great deal with the pending introduction of 8.1.

I am sad enough to have mulitple handsets given they as I said offer different things. Having said all this I don't think I could choose one of the other in terms of design or usability, its much of a muchness over them all. The most stable OS is easily Windows Phone, whatever microsoft has done seems to be reaping dividends as I have yet to have apps crash out on me or the phone reboot. This is a regular thing on iOS and Android. Its ironic in a way in that the least popular OS is the most stable.
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The truth is any os can get boring after a bit. Ever since mobiles came out I've gone from one make to another and then I had the original iPhone and thought I've found the perfect phone and wouldn't want any other make.
    The last 2 iPhones I've had - 4s and the 5 left me feeling bored and dissatisfied as nothing fundamental had changed much - apart from minor tweaks and a slightly new look.
    Also as a phone it leaves a lot to be desired.
    Then I discovered Android. I haven't learned enough about it to make full use of it but I'm absolutely in love with the system and the things it offers.
    I may go back to iPhone one day but right now I think they're overpriced and Apple are in real need of a kick up the arse. Having said that my laptop will always be an Apple!
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    If your bored of Android and its infinite possibilities in style, look etc how many OS's would keep you 'entertained'.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The grass is always greener. I made the big mistake of switching to WP in January. I can't go back home until August. The developer preview has helped a bit but my Ativ S is still way behind my son's GS3 in terms of speed and functionality. I will keep it as a spare phone and I can recommend it as a cheap way to try WP - that way you won't have wasted to much money when you have to switch back.
  • MiyagiMiyagi Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is understandable to get bored of a phone (rather than the operating system?). I was thoroughly bored of my S3 earlier this year, and had wanted to try a Windows phone, so I bought a 920 sim-free, and lasted less than 2 weeks before I handed it back. Too many things I missed from android, such as notifications (although that of course isnt the case now), but overall I personally was disappointed with Windows phone interface (although I am thinking of buying my 70yr old mom the Nokia 630 for her birthday). I still have Windows 8 on my laptop, but tend to skip the metro tiles and work from the desktop. I then moved phones on to a HTC One and love how it feels in my hand, and though it is also android, Sense is a totally different flavour than Touchwiz. I had an iphone like 4 yrs ago and always thought I would never go back to Apple, but last week I bought an ipad mini, purely because I wanted a tablet of that size, and it felt so much better in my hands (enjoyment factor) than any of its android competitors. Took a day or so to get to grips with the OS, and I find the lack of configuration and widgets a bit dull, but other than that, lovin it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Love how it feels in my hand'.

Ha, near instant boredom on that one.
    :)
  • MiyagiMiyagi Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do you mean?
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure why all these posts about wanting to be entertained. Who said I am looking for entertainment?? People get bored of stuff, their jobs, their cars, their lifestyles, does that always mean they need to be entertained to be relieved of the boredom?

Not sure how entertainment even gets into the topic to be honest. If I said I was bored of my wall colour and wanted a change, would changing from blue to green offer more entertainment?? what on Earth are people on in this forum?

Anyways, it's no big deal, just been an Android user for quite a few years and as I said, never said there was anything wrong with Android, it's perfectly fine. My point, in case some of you don't really understand, is just if any long term Android users felt like a change and experience something different.

I guess some die hard Android fans took the topic the wrong way and felt the need to lash out perhaps? anyways, I'd happily carry on using Android, as it's probably the most "complete" OS out there, but having tried windows phone 8, I do think it's coming on quite well and as someone commented, it does seem to be very stable.

But as I also said, need win 8 on more phones, and apart from Nokia, there aren't many options right now, which is a shame. Android 4.5 on the way soon, so will see what changes it will bring.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I see Windows Phone (god knows why the phone can't be Windows RT) as a halfway house walled garden towards IOS.
    Interestingly, prices mean like Android you can have an assortment of phones for the price one Apple phone.
    Talking of boredom, the old Phone competitor, the Galaxy S3 Mini can be currently had for £100 or even under. Resolution is below 720p but it still has a lot to offer.

BTW Microsoft sound like they have already got their Smartwatch part right. It works with IOS, Android and Windows Phone !
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/05/29/microsofts-smartwatch-to-be-compatible-with-ios-and-android-launch-this-summer

There's currently a heck of lot of money to be made in watches.