Homophobia - Why It Exists & How to Stop it

15678911»

Comments

• Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    Yes! It f***s me off so much when ignorant dickh**ds do this. From now on, if I catch someone doing it, I'm going to start saying 'Straight!!' everytime something stupid happens.

It annoys me, too. I don't find it offensive as such, but I think it makes the person uttering it look very silly. A girl at work does it sometimes. She's mid 20s and I think she's basically got it off her younger brothers, but it really makes me cringe.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I just now remember talking to a gay irish guy a few years back. He was massively racist against black africans- I think because of black africas views on homosexuality. It was ugly racism. He was an activist. Bit shocking really.

I doubt very much that ever happened.
  • WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul237 wrote: »
    It annoys me, too. I don't find it offensive as such, but I think it makes the person uttering it look very silly. A girl at work does it sometimes. She's mid 20s and I think she's basically got it off her younger brothers, but it really makes me cringe.

Does she know you're into guys too? If so that's very thoughtless of her! >:(
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One change I think would help a bit and be desirable is if the use of the word gay especially amongst younger people as a generic term of insult or negativity.Its basically used as a term to say something is rubbish,crap,unworthy,daft etc and I think on a subtle level tolerating the word gay being used widely like this is harmful.

you can tell the difference verbally between a "its a ger-hey(ghey)" item and its a "gay" iem the probllem is that things keep moving faster and faster so how do the hell do linguistical places expect to keep up with ever change?
  • Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    Does she know you're into guys too? If so that's very thoughtless of her! >:(

No, she doesn't. She's only a work colleague and I don't know her that well.