Options

Pet hates on TV adverts

TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
Forum Member
✭✭
Tables groaning with Christmas food, as if the entire Christmas food shopping was put out for 1 meal.
I know they are advertising their wares, but they could do a meal at a time.
Cleaning products showing the filthiest sink on earth in an otherwise spotless kitchen .
Anti ageing Skin creams advertised by line free models under 30.
Precocious kids

Comments

• Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Men in adverts are either eye candy or complete and utter ninnies. No middle ground.

People in adverts for any sort of vaccuum cleaner or floor cleaning solution always live in the most enormous houses, with acres and acres of floor that needs cleaning. No one lives in a house where you have to hoover round anything, or has a kitchen floor that's anything less than the size of an Olympic ice rink.

Same goes for adverts for bathroom fixtures and fittings, the bathrooms are always big enough to park a jumbo jet in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    Singing hipsters.
  • Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    • Yanks fronting UK companies e.g. Kevin Bacon & the EE network

• Sprogs

• Celebs insinuating their whiter than white teeth is down to a mere tube of whitening toothpaste and not infact down to £thousands worth of dentistry
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Car adverts, where there is never another vehicle on the road.

Adverts where they have the stupid man/smart woman set up. If that was the other way round the feminists and Guardian types would be wailing.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicole Scherzinger
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vulpes wrote: »
    • Yanks fronting UK companies e.g. Kevin Bacon & the EE network

• Sprogs

• Celebs insinuating their whiter than white teeth is down to a mere tube of whitening toothpaste and not infact down to £thousands worth of dentistry

EE is a German & French company :blush:

/pedant
  • Options
    Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The woman doing the VO on the Cow & Gate Complete Care Growing-Up Milk ad. The same woman I swear who does the voice on one of those home / contents insurance ads. Such a condescending, patronising voice - as if the companies' target audience is in fact a bunch of super-literate and financially secure infants.
  • Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    EE is a German & French company :blush:

/pedant

I'm all for pedantics :p

I should have said BRAND instead of company.
  • Options
    MentoristMentorist Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jasper92 wrote: »
    The woman doing the VO on the Cow & Gate Complete Care Growing-Up Milk ad. The same woman I swear who does the voice on one of those home / contents insurance ads. Such a condescending, patronising voice - as if the companies' target audience is in fact a bunch of super-literate and financially secure infants.

Is that the one that states you can use it 'IF' you decide to move on from breast milk? As if you might decide to keep breastfeeding until you die! That's what annoys me most in adverts!
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Maybe not a pet hate but when you see stuff and it looks more than they are letting on.

For example my Brother saw a ad for Toot Toot the toys now on the ad it takes up a entire room with track and stuff and that is what he and others kids/people expect when in reality it's different sets connected together each little piece costs about £50 the one you see on TV you wouldn't get for less than £500 so then the kid on Christmas or whatever is expecting a huge set and maybe only gets one small piece about the size of a plate.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    Men in adverts are either eye candy or complete and utter ninnies. No middle ground.

People in adverts for any sort of vaccuum cleaner or floor cleaning solution always live in the most enormous houses, with acres and acres of floor that needs cleaning. No one lives in a house where you have to hoover round anything, or has a kitchen floor that's anything less than the size of an Olympic ice rink.

Same goes for adverts for bathroom fixtures and fittings, the bathrooms are always big enough to park a jumbo jet in.

Just watched an ad for bedroom furniture.
    The bedroom is ridiculously large.
  • Options
    charger21charger21 Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That prick phoning to offer Roger the job. Maybe shouldve checked who he was speaking to first. Then again Id like to meet the wee lassie with my loaded brat gun
  • Options
    MentoristMentorist Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    charger21 wrote: »
    That prick phoning to offer Roger the job. Maybe shouldve checked who he was speaking to first. Then again Id like to meet the wee lassie with my loaded brat gun

I have no idea what you are talking about, what advert is that? :confused:
  • Options
    mintoemintoe Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »

Just had to say...love this word and have not heard it for ages , thank you Espresso :D
  • Options
    humdrummerhumdrummer Posts: 4,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really bad dubbing when the ad actor is clearly not speaking English/saying something else entirely. Makes me cringe.
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Why is it only women who suffer constipation in adverts?
    It's bad enough we have to go through periods, apparently (in ad world) men don't suffer constipation/diarreah type problems.

Also why are insurance/pay day loan ads mostly moronic? Like it's a big laugh and a party until the bailiffs come knocking.

Smug people singing/talking about their compensation (especially from their own clumsiness) or PPI payments get on my nerves too ugh.

Also bank adverts, don't really need to explain this one tbh.
  • Options
    charger21charger21 Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mentorist wrote: »
    I have no idea what you are talking about, what advert is that? :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ-jbm44hFw
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well known songs on adverts (99% of the time originally sung by men) being sung by twee, whispery, girly voices and inevitably slowed down

Stupid men being outwitted by clever strong women (and this is coming from a woman)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    The perfect family
    The perfect family having the perfect Christmas (It wouldn't look as good if it was more realistic would it?)
    The idea that everybody works in an office
    The fact that averts for some food/water for some African village always ended with a child looking into the camera for use as emotional blackmail.
    The fact that supermarkets all claim to be the cheapest with the best value and that soap powders/washing up liquids all claim to be better than the other.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Nicole Scherzinger

Totally! :D

And, obviously dubbed dialogue!
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every house seems to have kitchens and bedrooms the size of football pitches.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    charger21 wrote: »

This post made me genuinely LOL :D
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All follow-on milk adverts that try and skirt round the rules on advertising formula.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jasper92 wrote: »
    Well, to be fair, infants are the target audience in some respects :D ;-)
    Mentorist wrote: »
    Is that the one that states you can use it 'IF' you decide to move on from breast milk? As if you might decide to keep breastfeeding until you die! That's what annoys me most in adverts!
    Aimed at those extremely strange mothers who still breasfeed their kids when they are at school :D
    mintoe wrote: »
    Just had to say...love this word and have not heard it for ages , thank you Espresso :D
    I find myself using the word ninny a lot, it seems to fit parenthood well :p

For me it's toothpaste adverts, particularly the ones where they go on about their latest version of their brand being the best one ever - so that means if you're only using Colgate Total or Colgate Original (or one of the many millions of Colgate toothpastes - other brands are available :p) then Colgate/McCleans/whoever are admitting that the other versions of their toothpaste are not up to scratch, yet are all still readily available and being sold everywhere, for a lower price of course too.

Hey, here's our latest ultimate toothpaste - we know you regularly buy our X version, but really that's just crap and this one is the one we've been aiming to make all along. Stop buying our inferior models and purchase our new, improved now utterly perfect toothpaste for even more money - until our next newer and even more improved toothpaste and even more perfect comes along at an even greater price, h'obviously! ;)
  • Options
    ramraiderukramraideruk Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The unnatural baby laugh sounds in the formula milk ads.
    Skinny b!tches in the chocolate ads. You know they're never going to eat the chocolate. Or if they, do, it's not going to stay down for very long.
    Adverts for women's products (sanitary products, clothes etc.) that just have a group of women doing nothing but laughing (at each other?) for no particular reason.