Options

MPH calculation

muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi

I'm doing a charity walk and started training today. I did 2.5 miles in 39 minutes how do I work out my MPH

It's working towards 32 mike walk so would like to work out how long it's going to take me. Ideally what speed I need to be working towards

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2.5 miles in 39 minutes

is 2.5/39 miles per minute=.0641

is .0641 x 60 (minutes in an hour)=3.85 mph
  • Options
    muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you. I'm going to have to up the snti then
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muddipaws wrote: »
    Thank you. I'm going to have to up the snti then

3.85mph is pretty decent for walking long distance so if I was you I'd concentrate on getting your distance up rather than your speed - I take it it's not a race?
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    3.85mph is pretty decent for walking long distance so if I was you I'd concentrate on getting your distance up rather than your speed - I take it it's not a race?
    For a long distance, yes. But at age 48 here's my record on one route:

http://www.mapmywalk.com/routes/view/440992958

That's 4.5mph over 50 minutes. I walk every lunch hour and usually manage at least four miles. Sometimes I like to annoy joggers by giving them a walk for their money :)
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4 miles an hour is 8 hours for a 32 mile walk.

Sounds a long walk to me.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think you'd be hard pressed to average 4mph for 8 hours......walking at 4mph is really striding out, walking very fast

I walk every day and can just about manage 4mph but I certainly couldn't do it for hour after hour..........that's almost jogging !
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    If you have a smart phone then you could use one of the many popular tracker apps to keep a record of distance and pace etc.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    You'll be doing well to keep up at 4.5mph and above for any distance if you're not a regular exerciser. 3mph is good base average to keep up over the duration and equates to 20 minutes per mile: 20 x 32 = 640 minutes, = 10h 40m. Treat that as your max; if you managed 4.5mph that's over 420 minutes = 7+ hours.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member
    It's working towards 32 mike walk so would like to work out how long it's going to take me. Ideally what speed I need to be working towards

I would suggest that you're looking at in excess of 10 hours, you're unlikely to avarage more than 3.2 milne per hour for 32 miles.

Do you know what the terrain and conditions are going to be? - you might try looking at Naismith's rule:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naismith%27s_rule
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I think you'd be hard pressed to average 4mph for 8 hours......walking at 4mph is really striding out, walking very fast

I walk every day and can just about manage 4mph but I certainly couldn't do it for hour after hour..........that's almost jogging !

you are right actually. I walk on a treadmill at the gym, and 6.4kph is about as good as I can do, for no more than an hour. I would think after several hours of walking the op might get a few blisters too.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would think after several hours of walking the op might get a few blisters too.
    Yes. I did 32 miles over about 10 hours many years ago when I was a teenager (I am 70 now) and after doing a number of training walks beforehand and within an hour of finishing, I could hardly move!
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm doing a charity walk and started training today. I did 2.5 miles in 39 minutes how do I work out my MPH
    Roughly one and a half times the 2.5 miles? Maybe you should have stopped at 30 minutes and doubled the distance, or carried on for an hour; a bit easier to work out.

(Just use a pedometer which gives distance and speed, but you need to calibrate it to your stride. I think someone suggested using sat-nav or equivalent, but that's a bit over the top. And the batteries might not last 32 miles.)
    It's working towards 32 mile walk so would like to work out how long it's going to take me. Ideally what speed I need to be working towards
    Going for a sprint at the start perhaps isn't the best strategy then. What speed do you normally walk at? That might be easier to maintain for hours on end. (Also, over what kind of terrain? I did twenty miles over urban pavements once, and ended up with an inflamed heel.)
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you thought of getting a bike?
  • Options
    peter3hgpeter3hg Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many years ago I did a 56 mile hike and I reached the 32 mile checkpoint in 10 hours 22 minutes (the full results are online). Therefore, without having to pace myself for the 24 miles still to go, I'm sure I could have done it in more like 9 and a half hours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    peter3hg wrote: »
    Many years ago I did a 56 mile hike and I reached the 32 mile checkpoint in 10 hours 22 minutes (the full results are online). Therefore, without having to pace myself for the 24 miles still to go, I'm sure I could have done it in more like 9 and a half hours.

Nine and a half isn't that much different to ten :D

But again, what sort of terrain was it over?.

Also, if you're capable of doing a 56 mile hike (and congratulations :D), then you're obviously a lot fitter than most and probably able to walk considerably faster than most.

Incidentally, Garmin Basecamp in walking mode assumes an average of 3mph for estimating how long a walk will take - but it takes no account of hills (or stops in pubs!).
  • Options
    peter3hgpeter3hg Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nine and a half isn't that much different to ten :D

But again, what sort of terrain was it over?.

Also, if you're capable of doing a 56 mile hike (and congratulations :D), then you're obviously a lot fitter than most and probably able to walk considerably faster than most.

Incidentally, Garmin Basecamp in walking mode assumes an average of 3mph for estimating how long a walk will take - but it takes no account of hills (or stops in pubs!).

It was through the Peak District over hilly terrain. The walk had a total of about 10,000 feet of climbing (and descending).
    I did that when was a fit and healthy 15 year old, I'd struggle to do half of it now.

Edit: It was this walk http://www.bullocksmithy.com
  • Options
    Forum Member
    peter3hg wrote: »
    It was through the Peak District over hilly terrain. The walk had a total of about 10,000 feet of climbing (and descending).
    I did that when was a fit and healthy 15 year old, I'd struggle to do half of it now.

Edit: It was this walk http://www.bullocksmithy.com

Well done :D even if you were only 15 - it's a hell of a good walk - I've even walked a few parts of it myself, but only 9 or 10 miles (which is about my limit).