What's 3 like?

SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As a general mobile network operator? I'm thinking of going to them from 02 as i find its crap for coverage. Been hearing good things about 3.

Comments

• Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    Try it out with a pay as you go sim before you sign up to any contract
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    O2 - crap for what coverage? 2G? 3G?

If it's 2G it's unlikely Three will give you better 3G coverage. If it's 3G coverage then yes Three will most likely (9 times out of 10) be better.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's sad that some people still seem be under the delusional that Three is a crap network. Had a discussion about mobile networks quality couple of nights ago 3 were with EE and 2 with O2 when I said I was with Three they all basically Aah the crap network. I honestly find there 3G coverage to be excellent I don't have any complaints there though there 4G coverage leaves a lot to be desired.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    It's sad that some people still seem be under the delusional that Three is a crap network. Had a discussion about mobile networks quality couple of nights ago 3 were with EE and 2 with O2 when I said I was with Three they all basically Aah the crap network. I honestly find there 3G coverage to be excellent I don't have any complaints there though there 4G coverage leaves a lot to be desired.

You have a point, but honestly 3 does suffer from only having 2.1GHz spectrum for 3G as far as in building penetration is concerned. Hopefully 800MHz and VoLTE will fix that

I find that some people like to say 3 are crap because they tried them years ago (when they really were crap) or assume that no or poor signal in their home means no or poor signal anywhere.

But given the numbers of people who persevere with O2 and Vodafone's shambolic network and assume that "they're all the same", I don't think people actually care, unfortunately
    Forum Member
    You can't bad mouth Three's 3G coverage and then say EE's 3G coverage is good - they're identical in 99% of cases.
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got 1 bar on 02 here and I find 3g slow so looking for an alternative.
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,660
    Forum Member
    Gigabit wrote: »
    You can't bad mouth Three's 3G coverage and then say EE's 3G coverage is good - they're identical in 99% of cases.

Not in my experience. Three mostly beats EE 3G indoors as no 2g but it kills battery life.
    Forum Member
    jchamier wrote: »
    Not in my experience. Three mostly beats EE 3G indoors as no 2g but it kills battery life.

How does that work. Indoor coverage on 3G should be identical. EE would be better as 2G is at 1800MHz compared to 2100MHz for 3G (same as Three).
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,660
    Forum Member
    Gigabit wrote: »
    How does that work. Indoor coverage on 3G should be identical. EE would be better as 2G is at 1800MHz compared to 2100MHz for 3G (same as Three).

Coverage isn't the same. In many places Three's antennas are higher on the mast than EEs. physical location is important as well as freq band. Esp with cell breathing the coverage of the two networks from same location varies.

Different handsets choose when to swap down to 2G. With three they keep going until the connection fails. On EE they swap to 2g long before the end of signal on 3G.

O2 and Voda sims seem to have a 2g preference higher than EE sims.
  • neilybealyneilybealy Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Didn't think 3 are doing voLTE?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neilybealy wrote: »

I would imagine that at some point all of the networks will offer it, if not right now. In 3's case they have rubbish 4G coverage and an extensive 3G network so there is no rush
  • matty1000kkmatty1000kk Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    jchamier wrote: »
    Coverage isn't the same. In many places Three's antennas are higher on the mast than EEs. physical location is important as well as freq band. Esp with cell breathing the coverage of the two networks from same location varies.

Different handsets choose when to swap down to 2G. With three they keep going until the connection fails. On EE they swap to 2g long before the end of signal on 3G.

O2 and Voda sims seem to have a 2g preference higher than EE sims.

3 and EE share the same antenna for 3G (MBNL) sites. From the planning applications I've seen recently there will be new antennas for 4G 800mhz which Three will be rolling out to most sites from what I understand with EE having a selected rollout at 800mhz. On the flip side there are new antennas for 4G 2600mhz which obviously only EE can utilise as Three do not have a license for. At some sites I believe the new antennas are capable of doing 800 and 26000mhz. A bit of a mix really :)
  • mupet0000mupet0000 Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At some sites I believe the new antennas are capable of doing 800 and 26000mhz. A bit of a mix really :)

Ohh exciting, forget building penetration though, I doubt that could get through a plastic fork. On the upside, 20Gbps? :D
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member

All the networks will have VoLTE, EE first and then probably Three follow. Vodafone and O2 will probably be last to roll it out (it's not as important to them having 900MHz spectrum for voice already in use).
    Forum Member
    I've not found anything to support 3 offering voLTE online. All they push is their own app
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    It's sad that some people still seem be under the delusional that Three is a crap network. Had a discussion about mobile networks quality couple of nights ago 3 were with EE and 2 with O2 when I said I was with Three they all basically Aah the crap network.

Ignorance is bliss. And why let them on to a network where they'll share your data! Let them think Three is crap and stick with GPRS or EDGE, or think that H+ offers speeds of as much as 3 or 4Mbps instead of 5, 10, 15 or 20Mbps.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I pay £13 a month and get unlimited data, unlimited texts and something like 800 minutes with 3, on an iPhone 5. I live in London and their 4G is super fast, although in my house we can't pick up 4G yet. I find them very, very good overall though.
  • Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    As previously mentioned, regardless of what network you are thinking of signing up to, that is if you are thinking about taking out a contract, try them for a good while with a pay as you go phone.
    Some networks are better than others in different parts of the country, if Im going to go for a sumary then it would be:

Vodafone Good overall coverage in most places, crap for data
    O2 - again good overall coverage a little more expensive, data a bit better than Vodafone
    T Mobile/Orange/EE Good signal in most places, expensive, data good
    Three: good Signal in most places however this can struggle a bit in older ( ie thick stone walled ) buildings, and outside in dense woodland/ bottom steep valleys - but this is countered by an excellent value for money, and a usually excellent 3G signal and data speed that can put 4G to shame
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not found anything to support 3 offering voLTE online. All they push is their own app

Three is going to launch VoLTE. In fact, every network will. It's vital to properly roll out 4G and break the current necessary link with 2G or 3G networks for voice.

I don't see why Three needs to say anything until it's ready to launch, any more than it's saying much about its plans for 800MHz. You'll probably not get anything about that away from forums like this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Three is going to launch VoLTE. In fact, every network will. It's vital to properly roll out 4G and break the current necessary link with 2G or 3G networks for voice.

I don't see why Three needs to say anything until it's ready to launch, any more than it's saying much about its plans for 800MHz. You'll probably not get anything about that away from forums like this.

I'd assume also that the upgrades and some of the infrastructure needed for the intouch app will also be part of VoLTE
    Forum Member
    Ok cool cheers
  • Jack_Wilson2Jack_Wilson2 Posts: 2,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the way I see it....

Without mentioning MVNO's

Three UK - Strictly a data network also can be cheap
    EE - Expensive but a reliable network
    Virgin - Cheap network great for allowances, but doesn't do much in terms of data usage
    O2 - As the saying goes 'We're better connected'.
    Vodafone - Don't deserve to be in this list, enough said...

Three UK is the best overall in my opinion although if you want a solid network and a signal absolutely everywhere then EE is your choice.
  • sky0000547sky0000547 Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    When it is working, like most things, Three is brilliant. But there are times, the lack of data or phone service absolutely annoys me and this has been more often in the last 4 months I have been with Three than the last good few years I was with O2.
  • andyukguyandyukguy Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    sky0000547 wrote: »
    When it is working, like most things, Three is brilliant. But there are times, the lack of data or phone service absolutely annoys me and this has been more often in the last 4 months I have been with Three than the last good few years I was with O2.

I agree. When you have a signal Three is brilliant with a typically fast and reliable service. However there are too many places (typically indoors) that I found when using Three that you will have no signal. I have the same problem on EE unfortunately.
  • GrayburnGrayburn Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    sky0000547 wrote: »
    andyukguy wrote: »
    I agree. When you have a signal Three is brilliant with a typically fast and reliable service. However there are too many places (typically indoors) that I found when using Three that you will have no signal. I have the same problem on EE unfortunately.

Fully agree with you both. I had a terible 2 years with Three and had the same problems like yours plus more. Glad i'm back with O2 now!