Options

Did anyone else not understand the Gina love last year?

chloedancerchloedancer Posts: 6,486
Forum Member
IMO she is one of the most horrible housemates ever put into the house. a snob,bitchy,a shit stirrer,she dressed like a curb walker with her "breasts" up to her chin.Her fake accent that slipped every 5 minutes(saying you like ferrero rocher does not make you classy)she troweled on the makeup and she took pleasure in others displeasure...now that's why i don't get why fans liked her but i understand you like who you like.

Even more so,why was she loved on BOTS..she seemed to be championed night after night and do you remember them getting her bf on to "rap" while focusing and closing out on a framed picture of Gina?that was bizarre and i really cant remember anything like that happening before.:o

Then there is the producers(i think). she was given every privilege available.she clearly disliked Hazel and they played to it by making her queen for the day/2 days? just so she could make hazels life hell.They even came up with a bizarre online poll to "torture" hazel everyway possible with leading questions....one that included an answer that could only be hazel for punishment.that was insane:confused:......all because of her rivalry with Gina.

so yeah,i didn't get it all and never will.

Comments

• Options
    NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Queen Gina was amazing, her epic comebacks to Skid Mark Sallie were epic, along with her character assassination of Hazel.
  • Options
    Cal_Scream2Cal_Scream2 Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    Hazel was very devious though, Gina was all up front about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hazel was very devious though, Gina was all up front about it.

:confused: How was Hazel devious? I was no particular fan; I thought her relationship with Daley seemed based on boredom more than anything, and was a bit untoward since he was clearly immature and confused; she should have recognised that it could not end well for him, though not, of course, that he would get uncontrollably drunk and threaten her. But she seemed a straightforward girl to me, and I did genuinely admire her resilience. I think very few housemates could have put up with the sheer personal unpleasantness she met with without a lot of tears and threats to walk. At times it really did feel as if BB were on a mission to break her, and I'm glad they failed.

I liked Gina less though. She seemed almost awe-inspiringly self-absorbed, and I have no respect for her silly, pointless lifestyle. Her fashion sense looked cheap, but I do support the right of people to dress how they like; it was no worse than Aisleyne cooking in a thong, and I always liked Aisleyne.

Underneath her dismal pursuit of fame at all costs I think there is a surprisingly conventional girl. I do think her disgust at Hazel's sexualised behaviour was real, and that explains the viciousness towards her.

No disrespect to anyone on here now, but during BB14 I found Gina's supporters disconcertingly rude, personal and unpleasant, far more so than, say, Dexter's supporters were. (There was some overlap of course, but I think most people had given up on trying to invent a 'ginxter' by the end.)
  • Options
    SammmymackSammmymack Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NicoleRich wrote: »
    Queen Gina was amazing, her epic comebacks to Skid Mark Sallie were epic, along with her character assassination of Hazel.

Totally agree. Such great tv!
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found the love very over-the-top. It wasn't just a case of "Oh, I like her", it was "QUEEN GINA! FLAWLESS! UTTERLY HILARIOUS!!!". The Queen bandwagon people on the forums have jumped on is awful regardless of housemate, though.

I couldn't support her after how she handled the Jemima "racism" thing. She turned it into a massive deal and was loudly branding Jemima a racist without even having a quiet one-to-one talk with her about it first to get to the bottom of what was actually meant.

The "cheap Primark shoes" line was bad enough (and it's bizarre that people would support someone who'd no doubt look down on them had they met), but this pushed things over the edge. She wasn't a lovely person a lot of the time, but she was always quick to label others horrible people. She loved to be "really really shocked" about something. But, she seemed to get a reputation as a lovely innocent girl who was merely standing up against an oppressive force against her. I get why she didn't like certain people (Jemima, for instance, never seemed to like Gina from the start), but I don't think that excuses the aforementioned moments.

Then, of course, there are the plenty of times where she demonstrated she wasn't as upfront and honest as her fans want you to believe. I recall her hugging Jemima goodbye perfectly politely, then saying "Good riddance" in the Diary Room after she'd gone, for instance.

Not to mention how fickle she was. "I don't trust Charlie / Okay, I trust Charlie, BURN THE WITCH HAZEL / I don't trust Charlie again" etc.

That said, there were times I felt more positive about her. I respected her being mature about the Jemima situation in her interview (where she said she doesn't dislike Jemima in a bad way, etc), she could have taken another opportunity to turn it into a huge drama again but didn't, and I liked her for not turning on Dexter for alleged gameplaying in the final week or so. She even said the words I always use myself, "It IS a game". So, there were moments where I respected her, but on the whole I wasn't a fan.

I don't hold a particular dislike for her now the series is over, I try to leave things with the show. But, in terms of most of her actual time in the show, no I wasn't a fan
  • Options
    SammmymackSammmymack Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever your personal views on Gina, I think we'd all agree it wouldn't have been the series it was without her.
    ( ergo great housemate! )
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Abysmal on all levels. I thought her support here was a Mr Blonde style joke but it wasn't at all funny.
  • Options
    iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    I found her hilarious, genuine entertainment. She was a huge fame seeker but she was so funny with it that you couldn't help but love her. Something I also loved about her was that she wasn't a sheep. She was pretty much the target for the entire first half of the series and never sucked up to anyone. She was the only one who could stand up to Hazel during the early days of the game when Hazel was being a genuine bitch. However, around week 7-week 8ish I never thought I would think it but I think the roles reversed and Gina became the 'bad guy' between her and Hazel. Gina took her hatred for her way too far. Gina realized that the public were on her side and the arrogance went to her head and she began using every opportunity she could do attack Hazel. But she got better again when Hazel was evicted, and I loved the genuine journey she went on in the house, from snobby bitch to normalish girl. And now I look back on it, the Hazel stuff was nothing more than a petty feud between two big fame wannabees :p
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm with you all the way, I never got the Gina love - the Gina fanaticism really. I found her unlikeable, although I agree that in many ways she made the show last year. Being a good housemate to watch and being a likeable person are definitely two different things.

I will say, though, that I was a JJJer for my sins :blush:, back in the day, and I can well imagine that - had I been a member of DS during BB11 - I might have been just as fanatical on the boards regarding John James and Josie, so I do understand how people get so caught up :D I was bad enough joining just after BB11, before I saw the light :D

I did have spells of finding her hugely entertaining, the hardest thing though was dealing with the fanaticism on the forum (for her and for Dexter, another HM I could not stand and about whom my opinion never changed).

I also agree with WD, that the Hazel/Daley dalliance - at least on Hazel's behalf - was down to boredom. She admitted many times that she was struggling with the boredom. Sure, they all say that, but I think it was particularly visible in her case. She struck me as sombody who needed to be busy all the time (she was, after all, one of the few HMs who was actively working or seeking work at the time of going into the house).

ETA: I also agree with the OP that BB played everything in the Gina/Hazel scenario in Gina's favour, from letting her know how popular she was time and again thus encouraging her obvious dislike of Hazel safe in the knowledge that this must be what is making her popular (or one of the ingredients) to giving her the method by which to taunt her further.
  • Options
    Tiggeraspi123Tiggeraspi123 Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    I loved her straight away so I'm biased but I can understand why people may dislike her. For what I see as being sassy some might see as her having an attitude. I believe she endeared herself quite well. In regards to her and Hazel, I think they both had similar personalities and that's why they clashed. And they were both upfront about their dislike for one another.
  • Options
    Pro_SniperPro_Sniper Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you think about it a little deeper you won't have any trouble understanding the Gina "love". While it can be looked on as quite ironic that she was receiving so much support from the type of people that she looked down her nose at...her clear struggle with beauty no doubt earned her heavy support from so many other insecure girls. And once she got involved in a battle with a far more glamorous version of herself, that's when the silly over the top support for her really kicked in. It wasn't so much they were supporting her through any great heartfelt liking, but more a "comrade in arms" charge against an evil princess. As disgusting as Gina was/is, she had no problem gathering support from the plain jelly brigade whose #1 target will always be to topple the most envious figure.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pro_Sniper wrote: »
    If you think about it a little deeper you won't have any trouble understanding the Gina "love". While it can be looked on as quite ironic that she was receiving so much support from the type of people that she looked down her nose at...her clear struggle with beauty no doubt earned her heavy support from so many other insecure girls. And once she got involved in a battle with a far more glamorous version of herself, that's when the silly over the top support for her really kicked in. It wasn't so much they were supporting her through any great heartfelt liking, but more a "comrade in arms" charge against an evil princess. As disgusting as Gina was/is, she had no problem gathering support from the plain jelly brigade whose #1 target will always be to topple the most envious figure.
    I do think you make a very good point there.
  • Options
    chloedancerchloedancer Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member

you make some valid points but it still does not explain the bots rap and framed picture/the queen task/the polls etc......even her most loyal of fans(and nobody think im having a go at any forum member fan here.......i loved norin for gods sake:D) must have found that over the top on producers part and cringe on bots part:blush:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iMatt_101 wrote: »
    II loved the genuine journey she went on in the house, from snobby bitch to normalish girl. And now I look back on it, the Hazel stuff was nothing more than a petty feud between two big fame wannabees :p

I never saw her 'journey' as even slightly genuine. She had come into the house with what she very much hoped was a marketable persona, ie 'the most spoilt girl in Britain'. Hence her early attempts to promote that persona, eg her ludicrous stomping round the bedroom barking, "where are the single beds? I need a single bed!" and her naively over the top attempts to sound like a rich snob. But it is lonely deliberately making yourself the house villain, and I think there was a big change when she was saved from eviction. I honestly think she expected to be out quickly, and free to work on her 'spoilt girl' pitch; suddenly facing weeks and weeks in the house she had to make some friends or die of loneliness. So she started making overtures to Wolfy (a girl I don't think she would exchange a word with in the outside world, but who was pretty isolated herself) and later to Sam and even Jack and Joe.

A 'journey' suggests an actual change, but there is no evidence that Gina changed one iota. A year on, and she seems to have done literally nothing with her life except angle for media attention. She has, as far as I can tell, kept no contact at all with her fellow BB housemates, especially not Wolfy, who has probably given up waiting for the promised invitations and gifts by now. As far as I can see, she has not done one single thing in her adult life except start and leave university, get a very small role in a couple of music videos, eat a lot of lunches, and tell lies on twitter. Not much to show really, 6 years into her adult life.
  • Options
    AA2009AA2009 Posts: 8,378
    Forum Member
    The Gina worship pretty much ruined the forum last year. It was a bit like the "Queena" (Deana) stuff but much much worse becaue at least Deana was a nice person on the whole. I hope something similar doesn't happen this year, but I don't have high hopes...
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    There are many ways of differentiating between BB viewers. One of them is that some, once they have decided who to support, seem very reluctant to switch allegiance whereas people like me chop and change almost daily.

The problem if you're in the first category is that BB is very manipulative and the role allocated to certain HMs will change during the run...often at the whim of the editors and usually in a very unsubtle way. Gina is an example of that. That said, I think there were plenty of signs very early on before her meteoric rise to favouritism that foreshadowed her eventual defeat.
  • Options
    Angie_PlastyAngie_Plasty Posts: 6,333
    Forum Member
    Wish I could help you, OP.

I often seem to be on the wrong side of these love-ins and left scratching my head.

I preferred Hazel to Gina and Callum to Dexter.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    couldn't stand the woman .
  • Options
    TheManWhoLaughsTheManWhoLaughs Posts: 7,271
    Forum Member
    Gina was my favourite - she was obviously a colossal bullshit artist but she provided entertainment and seemed like a decent person at the core/

How anyone could unironically support Dexter baffled me :confused: He was obviously an attention-seeking pillock who relied on self-pity and whining the entire game. He was entertaining enough that I'm glad he made it far, but he's one of the worst non-racist human beings who has ever entered the house.
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NicoleRich wrote: »

No other HM as poisonous a Gina has ever been popular. I don't think any other HM has ever been praised for "character assassination", and calling it "character assassination" is already minimising how poisonous it was.

I have almost always in the past been able to understand why people like a HM even if I didn't, but that's very difficult to do with Gina.

The reasons people give for thinking she was a great HM are almost always things described in ways that make sense only from a point of view that already favours Gina (for instance that her nastiness in the argument with Sallie was "epic comebacks").
  • Options
    snarieksnariek Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sammmymack wrote: »
    Whatever your personal views on Gina, I think we'd all agree it wouldn't have been the series it was without her.

Yeah it might actually have been a decent series.
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, that's a good point. It is possible to make sense of it in ways like that, and clearly dislike for certain other HMs played a big role in Gina's popularity. I don't know what made Gina's "defiance" so wildly popular.

But the first time there seemed to be an explosion of OTT support was when Gina defied BB and refused to go into gaol when BB gave that as a punishment. It reminded me of the explosion of praise for Marcus when he gave BB an anti-PC rant when he was called to the DR re how he was treating Sree. (Wonkey gives a pretty complete description of that DR session in a recent post.)

But the Marcus one made a kind of sense as caused by pent up frustration over political correctness and a perception that BB was being "sanitised".

Anyway, it was an early sign of how BB would indulge Gina. A HM who refuses a punishment should be told that they will be thrown out if they don't do as instructed. (Of course, Gina did cave in soon after and went into the "gaol". But that didn't make any difference to the torrent of praise.)
  • Options
    FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could say the exact same thing about how anybody could support Hazel. That will always remain a mystery to me.
  • Options
    orangeballoonorangeballoon Posts: 10,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if only someone would post the video of Gina smoking her hair with the tongs... that summed her up.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Gina was a good housemate.
    I don't like her though as a person. She was extremely fake lets face it.