Why do we have to have a "Celeb" version of everything on TV?

Comments

• JayDee279JayDee279 Posts: 3,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wuthering wrote: »
    What a needlessly pedantic post. You knew full well what the OP meant by "everything"...
    I read the post you criticise as pedantic as a rather good joke.
  • JayDee279JayDee279 Posts: 3,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still find it depresing that "Come Dancing", a show where ordinary people did something very well, was replaced by "Strictly Come Dancing", in which celebs do the same thing quite badly. The viewing public, to be fair, seem to lap it up.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a needlessly pedantic post. You knew full well what the OP meant by "everything"...

who pee'd in your cornflakes? don't you know a joke when you see one?
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    Presumably because the celeb versions get better ratings.

The difference is the tv companies are commissioning these shows, not to air as part of Children in Need etc, but part of their regular tv output, for which they would normally pay.

The charity bit is just an excuse to get celebs on, or to make them care about winning once they are on. Whether or not the celeb donates their appearance fee to the charity they are supporting is something they may do in private. If they are loaded, it would be a nice touch. If they are a jobbing actor/singer/presenter, then it's reasonable for them to treat it as another job.

It is a bit galling though, when you find out that their appearance free is bigger than the amounts they were playing for (i read an article that listed the amounts people were paid a while back and which shows they appeared on)
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    JayDee279 wrote: »
    I still find it depresing that "Come Dancing", a show where ordinary people did something very well, was replaced by "Strictly Come Dancing", in which celebs do the same thing quite badly. The viewing public, to be fair, seem to lap it up.

I didn't know this!!
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    I like celeb versions,I have never ever watched big Brother,but I watch the celeb version.
    If I want to see ordinary people,I can walk down the High St
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    don't you know a joke when you see one?

On a forum where text is all we have to go by and sometimes people don't use any indicating smilies? Give me a break.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a forum where text is all we have to go by and sometimes people don't use any indicating smilies? Give me a break.

simply reading the list of shows should be more than enough to indicate it's a joke
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simply reading the list of shows should be more than enough to indicate it's a joke

You seem so stuck on the fact that I made a mistake. Why?
  • BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you don't get celebrity versions of everything. I mean none of the following for example...

celebrity crimewatch
    celebrity benefits street
    celebrity sun sea and suspicious parents
    celebrity homes under the hammer
    celebrity embarrassing bodies
    danny dyers most violent celebrities

^BIB - I would so watch that! :D:D
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't agree more. I find celeb versions of gameshows unwatchable, they are so obviously staged and are very forced too. I really wish we could have normal members of the public back on Family Fortunes again.

Hear hear!! Definitely agree with you. Trouble is I don't think Vernon would have a clue how to talk to 'real' people.
  • Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    Celebrity Crimewatch - Well, there is enough 60s and 70s zelebs to fill it :D
  • JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, i totally agree. I was saying this to my mum the other day. I think its gotten a lot worst these past 10 years, i don't remember it being so celeb orientated growing up.
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Because tv executives are increasingly creatively stagnant even creatively barren and play it safe too much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Dapper Laugh's has a TV show - that's all you need to know about the state of British TV
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like pointless as they call their version Pointless Celebrities. :D

Looking at most of the washed-up, desperate has-beens who appear on these episodes, never has there been a more appropriately named show!! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neil_N wrote: »
    Celebrity Crimewatch - Well, there is enough 60s and 70s zelebs to fill it :D

Now that could deffo give Channel 5 some ideas! ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a bit galling though, when you find out that their appearance free is bigger than the amounts they were playing for (i read an article that listed the amounts people were paid a while back and which shows they appeared on)

Agreed. When current soap stars on massive six-figure salaries start appearing on game shows winning luxury prizes for themselves, you think what a crazy f*cked up world we live in when ordinary folk can hardly make ends meet and buy food >:(

It is absolutely disgusting and these 'stars' should feel totally ashamed to be so greedy
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,544
    Forum Member
    When a new TV show get's commissioned, if we are lucky we may get the pilot show's featuring members of the public in them, but then all of a sudden we have to have celebs doing the same show's and these get bombarded down our throats, or there are show's that get invented where there are only celebs featured in them. Do TV companies think that we the public are not worthy of being on telly, it really winds me up!

Also their idea of what is considered as being a celeb leaves little to desired, a politician, a soap actor / actress, a member of TOWIE, a 3rd rate singer, etc.

Rant over!>:(

Trouble is viewers watch because .. 1. There is nothing else on .. or 2. watching just for a laugh. So this keeps the viewing figures up.

If they did not watch, the viewing figures would go down and the tv makers will learn we do not want this cr*p >:(

It's the viewers that keep these shows on our tv >:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You dont have watch any of them. I dont. But UK loves all things 'celeb', however pathetic & 'Z' list they may. And if people watch, then more programmes will be commisioned!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You dont have watch any of them.

They've taken over though. For those of us who like gameshows with normal people, it's very disappointing.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,948
    Forum Member
    Bela wrote: »
    @OP - I know what you mean but some RTV shows naturally lend themselves to a celeb version and a lot of the celeb versions have a charitable aspect to them (ie. winnings go to a cause so that's a good thing and good publicity for charities.)

But the media **** (so called celeb) still gets paid even when they win nothing for charity.

We now have so called celebs appearing in reality shows because and their talent is watching television at home.
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,150
    Forum Member
    you don't get celebrity versions of everything. I mean none of the following for example...

celebrity crimewatch

celebrity benefits street

celebrity sun sea and suspicious parents

celebrity homes under the hammer

celebrity embarrassing bodies

danny dyers most violent celebrities
    Those shows are incubators for the next crop of "celebrities". Crimewatch has produced that Rav what's-his-face, who used to be a copper and now fronts TV shows and benefits street produced fat dee who's now getting £100k on Big Brother.

Also they have done types of Celebrity Benefits Street. There was a show on BBC a while back where celebrities like Les Battersby had two live on the streets for a couple of days.

These types of show always produce a "character", who then proceeds to be on every show running for a couple of years if they're lucky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've taken over though. For those of us who like gameshows with normal people, it's very disappointing.

I'll agree with that. I find all of these 'celebrity' shows just cringeworthy to watch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those shows are incubators for the next crop of "celebrities". Crimewatch has produced that Rav what's-his-face, who used to be a copper and now fronts TV shows and benefits street produced fat dee who's now getting £100k on Big Brother.

Only in modern zzz-lebrity obsessed Britain could such a vile person become 'famous' and be given so much money for being on benefits.

I'm sure this woman will regale us all in the trash mags for years to come with her inevitable rise and fall <yawn>