Acceptable in the 70's

Comments

• TombstoneTombstone Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Vixen wrote: »
    If they were hated, despised or figures of fun then I'd agree they were racist. But they were loved, children were avid collectors and it was sheer excitement when it arrived.

And they were proper enamel.
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could explain but I've done this subject to death on DS. People either get it or they don't.

Same here.

In an attempt to change the subject.....Spangles anyone?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JonDoe wrote: »
    Same here.

In an attempt to change the subject.....Spangles anyone?

*slurps*

Oh yes please.

Let me just go wash my hands in the avacado bathroom first though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found a spangle next to some white dog excrement.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tombstone wrote: »

Was it next to a flying ant nest?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah coz people fed their dogs bones more often back then. And people weren't so big on clearing up after their four-legged friends either.
  • The VixenThe Vixen Posts: 9,829
    Forum Member
    Alf Garnett, although those wise enough would know the story was mocking the racist, the stuff he came out with would never get past the censors now.

Not sure if that is a good or bad thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Was it next to a flying ant nest?

No, but it was next to a 'Z' Smartie' top.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, but it was next to a 'Z' Smartie' top.

Ahhh... the elusive z smartie top.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah coz people fed their dogs bones more often back then. And people weren't so big on clearing up after their four-legged friends either.

Who cleared up dinosaur shit?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahhh... the elusive z smartie top.

Swapsies at school. I could have demanded sex for a swap, if we had known what it was at 19.
  • missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *slurps*

Oh yes please.

Let me just go wash my hands in the avacado bathroom first though.

I still have an avocado bathroom and try to pretend it's retro chic.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

A Clip round the ear for failing to spot the dog muck and stepping in it was also acceptable.

Q: Whats the best thing at cleaning dog muck off a pair of shoes?
    A: Living room carpet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember trying to buy houses in the early 80's and every bloody bathroom was grey and pink.

With gold bath taps in the 'outre' places.
    Forum Member
    Does anyone else remember.

Double DIamonds Works Wonders.

??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry wrong decade, but when I was just learning to read there was a billboard advertising campaign that said, "Don't be vague, ask for Haig." Only I had never heard of the word 'vague', and assumed that it sounded as it was spelt. So I went round muttering to myself, "Don't be vag-you, ask for Haig."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else remember.

Double DIamonds Works Wonders.

??

Double Diamond works wonders, works wonders, works wonders.

Ahah.
    Forum Member

Ahah.

Wasnt there a huge cleavage shot in the advertisement? They couldn't do that these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasnt there a huge cleavage shot in the advertisement? They couldn't do that these days.

Either Double Diamond or Hai Karate.

I know which one I remember. Lets just say I smelt like a tart rather than a brewery.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The mystery flavour spangle. I was very young when this came out and, in the spirit of this thread, googled it. I'm convinced it was revealed as passionfruit but the only thing that came up in three pages, which is as far as I'll go before I decide the information can't be worth it, was aniseed. Passionfruit stuck in my mind as I'd never heard of them and thought it was a cheat. Anyone know?
  • BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elastic bands to hold up your socks and cardboard cutout soles for your shoes and for the ladies - sanitary towels the size of nappies with loops at either end to safety-pin to your knickers :eek:
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBTweets wrote: »
    Elastic bands to hold up your socks and cardboard cutout soles for your shoes and for the ladies - sanitary towels the size of nappies with loops at either end to safety-pin to your knickers :eek:

I come from a working class family but never experienced this lol
    I used to wear monkey boots and they never had cardboars soles :D
  • quiniequinie Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You weren't supposed to safety pin them to your knickers - you were supposed to hook them onto your sanitary belt!!!

.... and I bought some of those into hospital with me when I had my baby in 1987 :o

... mind you (and I don't know if this is true) but my Mum says that one of her friend's kids had toothache so his Mum looped on around his ears and over his mouth to stop the cold hurting his sore tooth! Poor sod!!
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member

Yes I remember my Mam getting me them in 1980....thankfuly they were on the way out then...:o

I used elastic sewn into a loop on my over the knee socks for school in the 80's.
  • suki csuki c Posts: 6,081
    Forum Member
    for the ladies - sanitary towels the size of nappies with loops at either end to safety-pin to your knickers :eek:

Oh God - this thread is bringing back some memories :o

I remember my mum giving me these with a horrible pink elastic belt to wear round my waist that they looped on to but never felt comfortable. I was told to wrap the used ones in newspaper and burn them discreetly in the boiler in the kitchen and NEVER, NEVER let my dad or brother catch a glimpse of them!

Other memories (probably covered already but I'm not reading 27 pages tonight!!!!) - I was a teacher in the 70's & it was perfectly acceptable to smack unruly children - something I admit that I resorted to once or twice :eek:

In my defence - I was 21 and fresh out of a useless teacher training college full of new-fangled ideas such as the 'Initial teaching Alphabet'. I started teaching in a primary school in Handsworth Birmingham - 35 children in my class with no classroom assistant to help me. - If one wet/poohed their pants there was only me to clean & change them while trying to keep control of the other 34!!!!! Loads of stuff I could say - but won't right now :(

When I met my OH - (still together 37 years later ;) ) - we spent my six weeks school holiday travelling all over Europe in an ambulance that we'd converted into a camper van. - I must have travelled thousands of miles sitting backwards on the engine cover in the middle of the cab (no seatbelt) so that I could read to him while he was driving and be heard over the sound of the diesel engine - I particularly remember reading 'Catch 22' and listening to 'Dark Side of the Moon' and 'Tubular Bells' :D

We moved into a house with the aforementioned brown & orange swirly carpet with an inherited green vinyl settee with mustard coloured cushions and when I got home from work I had to cook the evening meal with my coat on as we had no heating in the kitchen - just a gas fire in the living room for the whole house (pretty much what we have here now come to think of it :rolleyes:)

Oh - happy days! :p