Options

Trying to Install Microsoft Office, need help, am a luddite, please help!

Comments

• Options
    duvindupainduvindupain Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right then, I think I've downloaded Libre, I've just re-started my laptop (took ages!).

Does this mean it's installed?

And, what should I do with the MS Office installation I purchased today?

Thank you again :)
  • Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right then, I think I've downloaded Libre, I've just re-started my laptop (took ages!).

Does this mean it's installed?

Thank you again :)

Suspect all you can do is go back to the seller and attempt a refund, but, in lots of cases where software packages have been opened the retailer will not refund.

Just as an aside this from Microsoft:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/why-cant-i-install-office-2013-on-windows-xp-or-windows-vista-HA103462811.aspx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John146 wrote: »
    Suspect all you can do is go back to the seller and attempt a refund, but, in lots of cases where software packages have been opened the retailer will not refund.

I got it from John Lewis, so I'll give it a go.
    Feel a bit ripped off, they didn't mention anything about Windows. Wish I'd posted here first!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Feel a bit ripped off, they didn't mention anything about Windows. Wish I'd posted here first!

Unfortunately (but not always) it states on the packaging which operating systems software will work with, and, in your case John Lewis may well point out that you should not have opened the software if it would not work.

You could of course try a little white lie and say that the software appears to be faulty, suspect John Lewis will not try and prove you wrong!!
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    I doubt the retailer would accept it back now that you have scratched it. For one thing they would have no way of knowing if you had activated the key or not and its not like they could just put it back on the shelf. Given that you say you asked for help with choosing the thing it is a bit bad the salesperson didn't query what OS you were running, but despite that I would imagine the system requirements are printed on the back of the card. If not they would have been mentioned on the download page.

Its a bit of a long stretch but you could try contacting Microsoft and see if they will let you trade the code for one that works with Office 2010. They would at least be able to confirm you haven't used the key already.
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The staff wouldn't, they are unlikely to know, especially John Lewis staff as they are not really computer retailers.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing as how you've opened the software they may not want to give a refund. However, considering that you cannot actually read the EULA without opening the package you could try the old 'I don't agree with certain terms on the EULA' trick. I've had this work for games in the past.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately (but not always) it states on the packaging which operating systems software will work with, and, in your case John Lewis may well point out that you should not have opened the software if it would not work.

Hmm, it does indeed say all of that on the packaging. I just spotted it.
    I did say to the assistant I was clueless and needed it explaining in simple terms. They didn't mention any of the things you guys here have all said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The staff wouldn't, they are unlikely to know, especially John Lewis staff as they are not really computer retailers.

I know I'm that clueless about computers I didn't dare go to somewhere like PC World! I though John Lewis would be ok.

NX-74205 wrote: »
    Seeing as how you've opened the software they may not want to give a refund. However, considering that you cannot actually read the EULA without opening the package you could try the old 'I don't agree with certain terms on the EULA' trick. I've had this work for games in the past.

Go on then, what's the EULA then!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm, it does indeed say all of that on the packaging. I just spotted it.
    I did say to the assistant I was clueless and needed it explaining in simple terms. They didn't mention any of the things you guys here have all said.

I did amend my earlier post to say try a little white lie by saying the disk appears to be faulty, and you do not want another, may work, may not, worth a try though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know I'm that clueless about computers I didn't dare go to somewhere like PC World! I though John Lewis would be ok.

Go on then, what's the EULA then!

End User License Agreement which had the software loaded you would have had to agree to before the software would work..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did amend my earlier post to say try a little white lie by saying the disk appears to be faulty, and you do not want another, may work, may not, worth a try though.

I didn't get a disk, I got a card (like a credit card size and style) with a number on the back I had to scratch off and got activated when I purchased it.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    There is no EULA on the card. You need to visit the download page and run the installer to get that far.

Either way OP has scratched off the key. The stage where you enter the product key is after accepting the EULA.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't get a disk, I got a card (like a credit card size and style) with a number on the back I had to scratch off and got activated when I purchased it.

Ok, lets try another tack, with the card you downloaded the software from Microsoft, then scratch the Activation Number on the card to activate the software, try saying faulty download, and you cannot download it again, suspect as someone has said John Lewis staff will not so au fait with what you are saying to prove you wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might write an email to the manager and say their staff should mention this when a customer is buying it. Apart from that, it's my stupidity to blame.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are a student you can get a copy of Windows 7 at a discount price, not having been a student I am not sure how you prove you are one, but John Lewis may well stock said software if not PC World will
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are a student you can get a copy of Windows 7 at a discount price, not having been a student I am not sure how you prove you are one, but John Lewis may well stock said software if not PC World will

My student days are a dim and distant memory, I'm a woman in her 40s nowadays! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My student days are a dim and distant memory, I'm a woman in her 40s nowadays! :)

Small potatoes, I am a man in my middle 70's!!!:o:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/B]

Small potatoes, I am a man in my middle 70's!!!:o:o

This is why I love DS! :)
  • Options
    SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    There is no EULA on the card. You need to visit the download page and run the installer to get that far.

Either way OP has scratched off the key. The stage where you enter the product key is after accepting the EULA.

They have little legal force in the EU so I wouldn't worry too much.

If the product was not fit for purpose - which in this case it seems it wasn't - then the retailer is legally bound to refund the customer. There is a bit of a grey area here because the item will only be unfit if the purchaser informed the retailer of the operating system is was required for. It seems they buyer stated windows and the retailer said OK - which I would take to mean any version of Windows - a court may not agree.

The state of the scratch card is not relevant.

All that said - John Lewis have a no quibble money back guarantee - so shouldn't be a problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skyclad wrote: »
    They have little legal force in the EU so I wouldn't worry too much.

If the product was not fit for purpose - which in this case it seems it wasn't - then the retailer is legally bound to refund the customer. There is a bit of a grey area here because the item will only be unfit if the purchaser informed the retailer of the operating system is was required for. It seems they buyer stated windows and the retailer said OK - which I would take to mean any version of Windows - a court may not agree.

The state of the scratch card is not relevant.

All that said - John Lewis have a no quibble money back guarantee - so shouldn't be a problem.

I'll pop back in tomorrow afternoon and will tell them that. Thank you for the tips.

Will see what happens and will post back here to let all you kind DSers know the outcome.

Thank you all again, it's good to know helpful advice such as yours is just a click away.

:)
  • Options
    MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is why I love DS! :)

So have you managed to install Libre Office OK? From your earlier post it wasn't clear if you'd completed the installation or just downloaded the required file.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Migster wrote: »
    So have you managed to install Libre Office OK? From your earlier post it wasn't clear if you'd completed the installation or just downloaded the required file.

Got a trial copy of Office 365, but decided to try Libre/Open Office to see if I could get away from paying the annual fee, tried doing address labels in both the free programmes, is it me or is it not easy??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Migster wrote: »

I've re-started my laptop and I now have a Libre Office 4.1 icon on my desktop. Have had a tiny dabble at Word and it seems to have saved, which I what I needed.

Does that sound like it's working ok and I've done it right? :)
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the OP wanted to give/sell the opened copy of MS Office to a friend who has Win7 or Win8, do you folks reckon that would be ok technically and legally?

Am I right in thinking that as it's been opened, it would be impossible or foolhardy to try to sell it on eBay?