Acceptable in the 70's

taylorcattaylorcat Posts: 112
Forum Member
My OH and I have been having a right old laugh thinking about things that were acceptable in the 70's that would be totally frowned upon by today's society, e.g,

Drink driving

When you moved house, taking your carpets

smoking in your bed

I have a friend who said that when she was born, her mum just took her in her arms and sat in the front seat of the car when they left hospital - without a seat belt, whilst her dad and her uncle smoked away quite happily in the back seat.

But to us, the be all and end all has to be,
not only was it acceptable to hit your kids in the 70's - it was TOTALLY acceptable for your neighbours to give them a clout as well:eek:

Just wondered if the fm's had anymore to add to the list to keep us going :D

Comments

• martinamerlotmartinamerlot Posts: 3,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kids playing unsupervised in the street, especially with dangerous objects like clackers! :eek: :D
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad taste in décor seemed to be rather acceptable in the 70s;).
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Huge amounts of pubic hair.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Dad had a succession of vans when I was a kid - some closed and some open back.

Whatever they were I was always in the back. Sometimes there were several of us in the back - and in the transit the wheel arch was a privilige reserved for the eldest. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nylon bedding. Yikes. Add hirsute man (who probably wore nylon y-fronts) and post coital cigarette and you'd have a potential inferno on your hands! :eek: :D
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kids playing unsupervised in the street, especially with dangerous objects like clackers! :eek: :D

Ha ha was just thinking that myself. :p

Hmmm what else? Well, we could get away with wearing some dreadful fashions... and still think we were cool. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boot the cat out all night and the dog out all day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a great book covering most of the above (except for the pubic hair! :D). The real retina burners even more so than the clothes were the kitchen and bathroom tiles!

And speaking of which...check out these swinging pads! :D
  • taylorcattaylorcat Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Shops giving tick, hangover in the 80's everywhere you went there were signs saying "please don't ask for credit as a refusal often offends"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a great book covering most of the above (except for the pubic hair! :D). The real retina burners even more so than the clothes were the kitchen and bathroom tiles!

And speaking of which...check out these swinging pads! :D

The green kitchen with the horse at the end is almost as shocking as the green kitchen with the car at the end. :eek:
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love green bathroom suites...and I'm so p*****ed off they are not available today.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member

I remember doing that!! Those 'clackers' were a laugh!
    PLUS we (lads) were allowed to play conkers as well. We never got hurt. We played football in the street - and watched out for cars....it was a quiet street then. We stayed out till late.....or before it got dark, depending on the time of year....in winter we'd stay at our friends house etc.
    We'd WALK to school and back home (ok some had buses, but they lived in the village 10 miles away)....no such thing as a "School Run" with taxis which disrupt OUR lives now between 3 & 4pm!!!!
    Ohh bring back the 70's !!:cool:
    Forum Member
    absolutely no 'health and safety' e.g. 'bombing' was actively encouraged at the swimming baths....

also smoking at work...ashtrays on desks were commonplace! in fact, smoking anywhere...on a plane? 'of course, sir, let me get you an ashtray'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    taylorcat wrote: »
    absolutely no 'health and safety' e.g. 'bombing' was actively encouraged at the swimming baths....

also smoking at work...ashtrays on desks were commonplace! in fact, smoking anywhere...on a plane? 'of course, sir, let me get you an ashtray'

Sounds like Bliss..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nylon bedding. Yikes. Add hirsute man (who probably wore nylon y-fronts) and post coital cigarette and you'd have a potential inferno on your hands! :eek: :D
    :eek: What's wrong with wearing nylon y-fronts?

Some classic duds here though.
    Forum Member
    I remember doing that!! Those 'clackers' were a laugh!
    PLUS we (lads) were allowed to play conkers as well. We never got hurt. We played football in the street - and watched out for cars....it was a quiet street then. We stayed out till late.....or before it got dark, depending on the time of year....in winter we'd stay at our friends house etc.
    We'd WALK to school and back home (ok some had buses, but they lived in the village 10 miles away)....no such thing as a "School Run" with taxis which disrupt OUR lives now between 3 & 4pm!!!!
    Ohh bring back the 70's !!:cool:

you're absolutely right! Bring back the 70's!
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I flew with Garuda Indonesia back from Australia in 2001 and smoking was still allowed on the leg from Bangkok to Heathrow. Even as a smoker at the time I found it horrible although I did have one just for the novelty value.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remember having purple bri-nylon fitted sheets on my bed........

Hmm...........babe magnet or what.............:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Going upstairs on the bus for a ****...........

The seats had match-strikers attached to the back........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I recall working in an office in the City of London where the telephone system was built into the desk. At one stage the old dials were replaced with push-pads for dialling, and the removal of the round dials left a round hole in the desk. This hole just happened to be the perfect size for a plastic coffee cup from the machine.

So people would drink half of their first cup of the day then slot the half-filled cup into the hole in the desk and use it as an ash-tray. By the end of the day there was cup full of soggy dog-ends.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some classic duds here though.

Excellent! Dig those poses! :D

Speaking of 'style'. This unknown hirsute chap is the archetypal 70s man for me-ICI fabric clothing :eek: (and two tone nylon purple y-fronts underneath, probably), big 'tache, probably drenched in Hai Karate and most likely well versed in various positions from The Joy of Sex. :D
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Going upstairs on the bus for a ****...........

The seats had match-strikers attached to the back........

Unbelievable! now that's what I call customer service...supply meeting demand!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    cosmo wrote: »
    My Dad had a succession of vans when I was a kid - some closed and some open back.

Whatever they were I was always in the back. Sometimes there were several of us in the back - and in the transit the wheel arch was a privilige reserved for the eldest. :D

Yes I can remember all us kids piling into the back of a van everytime we went somewhere with dad. We had great fun rolling around and clinging on going around bends! We all much preferred sitting in the back of a van with no seats than the car. I suppose these days we would all be strapped in the back of cars in booster seats. :rolleyes: Kids do miss out these days, as the saying goes "it never did us any harm".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dad on the motorbike...........Mum with 2 kids on her knees in the sidecar..........:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent! Dig those poses! :D

Speaking of 'style'. This unknown hirsute chap is the archetypal 70s man for me-ICI fabric clothing :eek: (and two tone nylon purple y-fronts underneath, probably), big 'tache, probably drenched in Hai Karate and most likely well versed in various positions from The Joy of Sex. :D

Surely Jason King is the ultimate.