Options

The Restaurant 2009

Comments

• Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Judging from the hot weather the series must have been filmed in July before the summer got worse. So no blackberries in the garden. This whole series looked heavily manipulated from the start. The only thing that is surprising is the extent to which Blanc and his cronies were evidently involved in the manipulation.
  • Options
    smartie1947smartie1947 Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Predictions for 2010:-
    14/6/10 Evening Standard- "Blaggers", a new restaurant opens tonight.
    15/7/10 Evening Standard- After several visits from council Consumer Protection staff
    about no food being served, "Blaggers" has closed it's doors. Partners say they will reopen with a new concept shortly. Raymond Blanc has filed for bankruptcy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Raymond Blanc – Kitchen Secrets, on BBC Two, sees the self-taught Michelin-starred chef and star of The Restaurant returns to his first love… cooking.

In his first pure cookery series for more than a decade, Raymond Blanc teaches home cooks how to elevate their dishes from the ordinary to the sublime – step by step.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/comingup/raymondblanckitchensecrets/

This should be good! Wonder if JJ will be watching this for some tips?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Predictions for 2010:-
    14/6/10 Evening Standard- "Blaggers", a new restaurant opens tonight.
    15/6/10 Evening Standard- After several visits from council Consumer Protection staff
    about no food being served, "Blaggers" has closed it's doors. Partners say they will reopen with a new concept shortly. Raymond Blanc has filed for bankruptcy.

Fixed the date for you
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bellinis anyone?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member

I would have watched that before. After last night, no chance.
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A truly bonkers decision to go into business running a restaurant with these 2. Why would anyone go to a place where the "chef" can't cook. I can just imagine ordering my main course and getting a cocktail instead!!!! RB is taking a very serious risk here which could well damage his reputation.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tel69 wrote: »
    A truly bonkers decision to go into business running a restaurant with these 2. Why would anyone go to a place where the "chef" can't cook. I can just imagine ordering my main course and getting a cocktail instead!!!! RB is taking a very serious risk here which could well damage his reputation.

I think he's probably realised that by now, after all the posts on this site and others......
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    Judging from the hot weather the series must have been filmed in July before the summer got worse. So no blackberries in the garden. This whole series looked heavily manipulated from the start. The only thing that is surprising is the extent to which Blanc and his cronies were evidently involved in the manipulation.

I wonder if the blackberries were from the aborted sorbet? Though why they would be having out of season fruit in the sorbet... no, wait, its the winkers isn't it? No doubt the sorbet was bought from Iceland and simply got left out of the freezer:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Actually, I think I might have sussed this. It was, all along, a thinly disguised homage to that great bon viveur and father of TV Chefs, the one and only Keith Floyd. Well done the BBC and Raymond Le Blanc for honouring the man that started it all. ;)
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Radio interview with the 'winners' and David.

18:30 onwards

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00pbsm7
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    I wonder if the blackberries were from the aborted sorbet? Though why they would be having out of season fruit in the sorbet... no, wait, its the winkers isn't it? No doubt the sorbet was bought from Iceland and simply got left out of the freezer:D

It looked like the soufflé mix.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It was cocktail making and sharing food that won it for them, the picnic concept is thrown out.
  • Options
    FortyTwo25FortyTwo25 Posts: 5,170
    Forum Member
    dome wrote: »
    Radio interview with the 'winners' and David.

18:30 onwards

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00pbsm7

On BBC Scotland? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FortyTwo25 wrote: »
    On BBC Scotland? :confused:

I think they're all in hiding.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was cocktail making and sharing food that won it for them, the picnic concept is thrown out.

But that is exactly what they are doing in their existing cocktail bar in Covent Garden!

Platters of food to share amongst a couple or a small group of friends. The menu describes a variety of food platters, some hot and some cold ie meats or cheeses plus a variety of drinks! This is their existing business although I doubt JJ goes anywhere near cooking the deep-fried octopus (think it was octopus!).

Blanc and co. are investing into an already existing business!

Sorry, can't find the link to their club.

edit..found it! The London Cocktail Club

http://www.restaurantscoventgarden.co.uk/restaurant-london-cocktail-club-great-newport-street-strand-london.htm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mixologist wins chance to open restaurant with Raymond Blanc

The pair, directors at the London Cocktail Club, beat eight other couples to the prize. They said they were 'over the moon' about the win and will now work with Blanc and business partners Sarah Willingham and David Moore to open a restaurant based around their concept of serving sharing dishes with cocktails.

"To be opening a restaurant with Raymond Blanc is a dream come true and we hope we can live up to his expectations and those of industry experts Sarah and David," they said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But that is exactly what they are doing in their existing cocktail bar in Covent Garden!

Platters of food to share amongst a couple or a small group of friends. The menu describes a variety of food platters, some hot and some cold ie meats or cheeses plus a variety of drinks! This is their existing business although I doubt JJ goes anywhere near cooking the deep-fried octopus (think it was octopus!).

Sorry, can't find the link to their restaurant.

That's why I think it was a done deal before the show was even recorded. This was nothing but a PR exercise and for the life of me cannot imagine that JJ and James would have even entered the competition in the first place.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    They said they were 'over the moon' about the win and will now work with Blanc and business partners Sarah Willingham and David Moore to open a restaurant based around their concept of serving sharing dishes with cocktails.[/I]

A concept that was never mentioned once in the entire series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sorry, can't find the link to their restaurant.

I can do all of the above! Can I work with RB please????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's why I think it was a done deal before the show was even recorded. This was nothing but a PR exercise and for the life of me cannot imagine that JJ and James would have even entered the competition in the first place.

Absolutely agree...a done deal!

I found the link to their club and posted it in my previous post.

It most certainly does not look like some back-street run-down dive, more like a smooth successful business.
  • Options
    Zippy289Zippy289 Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife and I just couldn't believe this travesty of a result. :eek::mad: Mind you, we couldn't even believe that the w*nkers made the final.

They epitomise everything that's wrong with this country nowadays: true talent is consigned to the scrapheap while smarmy idiot chancers make their way to the top. Perhaps this is what also happens in the banking sector and this was the cause of the current financial crisis?

As for Raymond Blanc, he's just lost any credibility he ever had in one fell swoop. I'm never buying his endorsed croissants in Tescos ever again! :D
  • Options
    EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    manc2008 wrote: »
    A concept that was never mentioned once in the entire series.

James recommended "sharing plates" right from the opening night in programme 3. :yawn:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their menu on the website:

Red Leicester, English Mature Cheddar, Blue Stilton And Chutney.

Chicken Liver Pate, English Farmed Honey Ham Served With Pickles.

Selection Of Rustic Breads And A Side Of Salted Butter.

Seafood & Wings £15

Salted Squid Rings Served With Lemon And Aioli.

Crispy Hot Wings With Chilli And Lemon.

White Bait Served With Tartar Sauce.

Oriental Platter £15

Chicken And Spring Onion Satay Served With Peanut Sauce.

....all of which I could russle up in my little kitchen for my mates!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    CheapthrillsCheapthrills Posts: 2,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few people keep saying he made the right business choice but the fallout from his decision is showing how lacking he is in business sense, I get the feeling he failed one of his own challenges.
This discussion has been closed.