I wonder if Stella will buy her domain name from series 2 winner Michelle Dewberry?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
Forum Member
It was posted on the spoiler forum that Michelle Dewberry the winner from series 2, had bought Stella English domain name, as someone from Michelle's series bought her's and charge her a fortune for it.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    thats what you call a shrewd business move!;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stellaenglish.com and stellaenglish.co.uk forward to business sites not related to (as far as we know) Stella. that in itself is slapworthy, if you have a good legal representative.

in a second move, you take the domains off her for free. by the time she registered them, Stella was already in the light of the TV show. granted, not a big name, but a good solicitor - guess Sugar daddy will know a few - and a helpful judge could very possibly make it blow up in Dewberry's face.

hopefully some fun read will come from that. :D
  • rickead2000rickead2000 Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's the output from a whois lookup on stellaenglish.com...

The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .EDU domains and
    Registrars.Registrant:
    Chiconomise Ltd
    Wayside
    Surrey, Surrey KT7 0TQ
    GB

Domain name: STELLAENGLISH.COM

Administrative Contact:
    dewberry, michelle hello@chiconomise.com
    Wayside
    Surrey, Surrey KT7 0TQ
    GB
    +44.2071930672
    Technical Contact:
    dewberry, michelle hello@chiconomise.com
    Wayside
    Surrey, Surrey KT7 0TQ
    GB
    +44.2071930672

Registration Service Provider:
    Daily Internet Services Limited, helpdesk@daily.co.uk
    +44.8454662100
    +44.8454660102 (fax)
    http://www.daily.co.uk

Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.
    Record last updated on 05-Oct-2010.
    Record expires on 28-Sep-2011.
    Record created on 28-Sep-2010.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm suprised such things still go on? I can understand the logic of cybersquatting a potential business site, but what is the value of StellaEnglish.com anyway? These days if people want info on her they'd follow her on twitter or look at her facebook. If I were Stella I'd let Michelle have the domain and stew quite frankly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i find it weird to be sort of successful in business and not have your own domain registered. alone to have your own name as email address. :D

obviously it's the perfect hub if you happen to branch out, like writing a biography or setting up your own business later on.

a few quid a year should be affordable.
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only people that are HUMAN BRANDS are smart enough to register their own named domain name (yes, he has) :D. Stella is obviously not bothered or not knowledgeable enough.
  • chewstickchewstick Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    granted, not a big name, but a good solicitor - guess Sugar daddy will know a few - and a helpful judge could very possibly make it blow up in Dewberry's face.

that is not strictly true, there is nothing stopping you obtaining any domain if it's available and keeping it. Using it is a different matter as businesses or individuals could argue that money is being made from either the name, business or brand (que Stuart..lol) or even using a domain could be damaging to the same listed above. Having the domain but not posting anything to it is not illegal. however if it could be argued in court that you are merely holding this domain hostage for your own means and profit then yes probably it could be taken from you, but if there is nothing posted to it and nothing is found on the internet or in writing that this person solely took this website as way of making profit then basically i see no way i stripping that domain away from the owner. Also if the domain was bought on a USA website seller, then this could further complicate matters as different states in the U.S. have differing rules. Years ago i owned a website address that was very similar to a company in scotland, i held the UK .co.uk version of this website. One day i recieved out of the blue a very nasty phone call from a soliciter who was certain he could prove a company in scotland held the right to that domain. to be honest i panicked a little, i am not a rich person and this soliciter was saying things like if i didn't let go of the domain they would take me to court, probably win and i would be held accountable for all costs. following day i contacted a soliciter in london who deals with such cases and rather independantly and at no charge to me, looked up said company wanting website address from me. although they were similar my business at the time was different to theirs, and more importantly i was trading from my website for 2 years before they even set up. He told me i had nothing to worry about. I still hold that domain to this day, i do not sell on it though and i have not heard anything from this company. yes slightly different to the stellaenglish domain but let me say that owning a domain is not illegal.

another case i heard of was someone in the US grabbing a domain similar to an up and coming rap artist, this person quickly set up the .com apparently after hearing a demo of this persons music. he then started making music of his own and trying to sell it from the site as Mp3's. this domain was stripped from the person as it was argued it would be damaging to the artists reputation and he was selling on the back of this persons name.

Michelle Dewberry would have to be taken to courtand it would have to be proved that she bought that domain for profit and personal gain... you could say yes to that but i think it would need to be damaging stella englishe's reputation or businesses for a court to strip it away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    I think this is a nasty thing to do ,she should give Stella it for free.
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is a nasty thing to do ,she should give Stella it for free.

Like samknows said, it's a shrewd business move - she indentified something with a potential commerical value which no-one else had dibs on and made her move, knowing from her own experience how valuable it could be.

So she showed she learned from experience, had foresight, and a killer business instinct - Michelle for the win!! Oh, wait...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    Like samknows said, it's a shrewd business move - she indentified something with a potential commerical value which no-one else had dibs on and made her move, knowing from her own experience how valuable it could be.

So she showed she learned from experience, had foresight, and a killer business instinct - Michelle for the win!! Oh, wait...

Do you know what Tuan charged her?

Shrewd but spiteful IMO.
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honestly Stella will easily get her domain names off Dewberry if she wants it. It will cost a few hundred quid to the relevant domain name bodies for the official dispute process and take a month or two but there is a very clear process in place for such blatant cases of domain squatting, especially when Dewberry isn't doing anything useful with it, just redirecting it to her own crappy website. Dewberry won't make any significant money out of it, it's not a shrewd business move at all, to be honest it is the opposite and just makes her look like a weasel desperate to make every last £5.99 at whatever cost.

If the same happened to Dewberry in the past and she wasted more than a few hundred quid getting her own name back from someone unrelated then she is either very stupid or very badly advised.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chewstick wrote: »
    that is not strictly true, there is nothing stopping you obtaining any domain if it's available and keeping it.
    there is also nothing stopping a random burglar to break into your house, obtain your TV and keeping it, what on earth is your point? :D
    Having the domain but not posting anything to it is not illegal.
    no one suggested it was. there are however enough court cases where it was ruled that the person or company using a name first - which, given that only one person in this case is actually called Stella English, seems pretty easy to work ou who ist is - has more rights to the domain than any random entity to register it. that is where the good legal representation and helpful, i.e. someone with the first clue about how this interwebs thingie works, judge come in. ;)
    Also if the domain was bought on a USA website seller, then this could further complicate matters as different states in the U.S. have differing rules.
    rubbish. UK enitity A buys the domain concerning a UK entity B and the ruling is issued by a UK court for A to hand over the domain to B. another country is not involved at all.

BTW, it is not a website seller, it is called a registrar and they are merely a middle man in the process. but they definitely do not sell you a website.
    yes slightly different to the stellaenglish domain but let me say that owning a domain is not illegal.
    not just slightly different but not even remotely relevant. if your claims are correct, you held the domain and traded from it 2 years before they ever existed. if at all you could have turned aroud and slapped them for snatching your domain. which is something i would probably have done, alone for the supposedly nasty phone call you received.
    another case i heard of was someone in the US grabbing a domain similar to an up and coming rap artist, this person quickly set up the .com apparently after hearing a demo of this persons music. he then started making music of his own and trying to sell it from the site as Mp3's. this domain was stripped from the person as it was argued it would be damaging to the artists reputation and he was selling on the back of this persons name.
    and once more you make my point, i thank you kindly.
    Michelle Dewberry would have to be taken to courtand it would have to be proved that she bought that domain for profit and personal gain
    if she has any sense, no. proving the intent of profit making is rather simple, as she redirects both domains to a site selling stuff. unless she makes no profit from her awesome business.

with the resources Stella has at hand now, i'd take Michelle the whole way and rip her a second bumhole for trying to be clever, if she didn't hand over the domains after a nicely worded letter.
    you could say yes to that but i think it would need to be damaging stella englishe's reputation or businesses for a court to strip it away.
    having one's rights protected is now bad for reputation? on what planet exactly?
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    googleking wrote: »
    Honestly Stella will easily get her domain names off Dewberry if she wants it. It will cost a few hundred quid to the relevant domain name bodies for the official dispute process and take a month or two but there is a very clear process in place for such blatant cases of domain squatting, especially when Dewberry isn't doing anything useful with it, just redirecting it to her own crappy website. Dewberry won't make any significant money out of it, it's not a shrewd business move at all, to be honest it is the opposite and just makes her look like a weasel desperate to make every last £5.99 at whatever cost.

If the same happened to Dewberry in the past and she wasted more than a few hundred quid getting her own name back from someone unrelated then she is either very stupid or very badly advised.

I agree with this post. The only person it will damage in the long run is Michelle Dewberry (if it's the one we think it is) UNLESS she has by arrangement done it merely to hold it for, then willingly transfer it at a reasonable price to Stella English (if she wants it).

But of course, Stella doesn't even need that domain name, apprenticestella.com. stellaenglish.co.uk or many other variants are almost as useful.
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    All Stella needs is "stella-english.co.uk" or "stella-english.com" and it's a completely different domain name. No need to bother taking action against Michelle Dewberry or anyone else, for that matter.

At the end of a previous series someone went out and registered the domain name "Xenongreen.com" because that name was given out during "Your Hired" by the then Sir Alan Sugar as the company the Apprentice winner would be working for in the process of recycling used computers. Wasn't the winner in question actually Michelle Dewberry?

Someone wasted their money because, at the end of the day, I don't believe the "Xenongreen" name was ever used.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i know it is tempting to have an opinion since every Tom Dick and Harry has their awesome little website, but i really wish people would have the first idea about online marketing, before they make statements about the usefulness of a domain name.

BTW, as stated previously, stellaenglish.co.uk has already been sniped by Michelle.

and no, there is no need to take action. it's a matter of priciple though, unless one likes to be walked over.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a mean thing for Michelle to do!

Did Tuan really buy Michelle's domain name and then sell it to her for a much higher price? And why is Michelle now taking it out on Stella?

Warped.
  • Fireball XL5Fireball XL5 Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Especially when she's pointing both 'stellaenglish' domains at her crappy Chiconomise website. Utterly pathetic. Sugar is well rid of her.
  • JepsonJepson Posts: 3,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people attach far too much importance to domain names - particularly 'JoeBoggs' having exactly 'JoeBloggs.com'.

The vast majority of web accesses are done from bookmarks and links from other sites.

Even on the odd occasion when you see some company and decide, to look it up, it's far and away easier to Google the name and use the link Google provide.