Plusnet, are they any good

Comments

• AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1saintly wrote: »
    im looking at moving from o2 to there unlimited deal
    http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/broadband-only/

Fibre will only be available in my area summer this year.

Seems like a good deal, just the activation fee and router puts 1st payment up

:(

If you decide to stay with Plusnet at time of joining (by indicating you wish to do this), your router will be free.
  • Call_me_DaveCall_me_Dave Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    If you decide to stay with Plusnet at time of joining (by indicating you wish to do this), your router will be free.

It's only about £6.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can get about 17mb for about £12-13 pound a month for the first year. I've taken into account activation fee + router (and P&P). It seems similar to what I'm paying with 02.

And the good thing is, Plusnet's contract is only 12 months. I'm tempted to go with them even though I had some reservations earlier.

Oh, what to do....
    What are you doing for phone line at the moment because you could save more by taking their broadband & phone package.

My sister's been with Plusnet for over a year and the service has been very good. Now that they've got rid of the monthly usage limits I've decided to switch to them too.
  • Mr PringleMr Pringle Posts: 6,469
    Forum Member
    I've been really impressed. I was previously with Be (and boy am I glad I've avoided them given the recent takeover), and Plusnet have been great - when you phone them, you get someone sensible, and when you go through their Portal they answer things personally. That's a breath of fresh air!
    Forum Member
    Smudged wrote: »
    What are you doing for phone line at the moment because you could save more by taking their broadband & phone package .

Not sure if I'd be willing to switch from BT to Plusnet for line rental.

What if I'm unhappy with the service and wish to go back (after the contract has expired of course). Would I have to pay BT some sort of re-installation fee to sign up with them again?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if I'd be willing to switch from BT to Plusnet for line rental.

What if I'm unhappy with the service and wish to go back (after the contract has expired of course). Would I have to pay BT some sort of re-installation fee to sign up with them again?
    I doubt that would be a problem. I expect you'd be classed as a new customer wherever you went and I'm sure there would be plenty of deals around and you'd be able to switch free of charge.

According to my calculations, you can get Plusnet unlimited broadband and phone package for £19.48 per month (or £16.31pm if the cashback deal comes through OK). In fact, I plan to pay the line rental up front in order to get it for £12.81pm. That would be a big saving for me over the year if I can get it for that price. This is for basic phone package with free evening and weekend calls. For free "anytime" calls during the day too add £4 to all those figures.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info, Smudged.
  • dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply, I signed up this evening and hope it all goes well, given a grilling by ee when I asked for my mac but as I said I'd been with them since 2000 but now they don't offer a package that suits me, I want unlimited 24/7 phone calls plus the option of continental call with unlimited downloads which aren't shaped, plusnet offer this, will have to wait till mid month to see how it pans out.
    Dave
    Forum Member
    dmp wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply, I signed up this evening and hope it all goes well, given a grilling by ee when I asked for my mac but as I said I'd been with them since 2000 but now they don't offer a package that suits me, I want unlimited 24/7 phone calls plus the option of continental call with unlimited downloads which aren't shaped, plusnet offer this, will have to wait till mid month to see how it pans out.
    Dave

Let us know how PlusNet is (since I'm probably going to end up with them).

Cheers :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'll let you know as mine is due to be activated next week. I'll be testing it out to see if I get the same speeds as O2 and that it's not slowed down at any time. I am also quite intrigued to see if their local "traffic shaping" works as well as they claim.
  • djfrancisdjfrancis Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How are plusnet for gaming as i am thinking of switching from Virgin Media (Cable) to maybe an ADSL/VDSL2 services as the routing on VM network is awful!!!

BT says we can get;

ADSL 5.5Mb-12.5Mb Download speed range
    VDSL2 (Fiber) 53.5Mb Download speed and 13.2MB
    Upload speed

We have two xbox 360's and both are sons go on the latest call of duty mw2/black ops
    sky anytime (on demand)
    PS3 we use for BBC iPlayer and also have the content in HD :) and also have now tv and netflix but we normally go for HD content.

Also do Plusnet slow speed anytime?

From are Virgin Media Superhub
    Session Time 6days 18h:25m:7s
    Session Data Downloaded 964GB
    Session Data Uploaded 8GB
  • andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of moving to them too
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    When switching ISPs, don't forget to check out cashback sites like Quidco. TalkTalk were offering £70 last week and Plusnet are currently £38.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    When switching ISPs, don't forget to check out cashback sites like Quidco. TalkTalk were offering £70 last week and Plusnet are currently £38.

Dam, didn't think of that, never mind though, customer service was fine, took time to answer my questions and were very helpful. Hopefully speed will be 76mbs down and 19mbs up which is important to me as I download a lot of things at a reasonable price. Nice to see others like me going over to them.
    Dave
  • SmiffySmiffy Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    I've just moved over to Plusnet from Sky. On their unlimited fibre package.
    BT engineer called as planned on Wednesday morning to sort out the fibre side of things, a little delay in Plusnet sending out my new router, that was here waiting for me when I got home from work last night.
    Plugged it in, waited the required 15 minutes and Bingo!
    Currently getting download speeds of 47Mbps and uploads of 16Mbps. Their initial estimated line speeds were around the 72Mbps range, so I should see my speeds increasing a bit over the next 10 days settling in time.
    So all in all I'm pleased so far...apart from the delay in sending out the router. I checked on Monday as I was told it should arrive a few days before BT called to be informed that the automated system had "overlooked" sending it out. Good job I called as I could still be waiting for it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smiffy wrote: »
    Currently getting download speeds of 47Mbps and uploads of 16Mbps. Their initial estimated line speeds were around the 72Mbps range, so I should see my speeds increasing a bit over the next 10 days settling in time.!

There is no settling in period with Openreach FTTC I'm afraid. So the speed you ae getting now is the maximum you will receive.
    Forum Member
    *MikeB* wrote: »
    There is no settling in period with Openreach FTTC I'm afraid. So the speed you ae getting now is the maximum you will receive.

So the BT Engineer and Plusnet are/were wrong???
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was also told there was a 10 day settling in period, so be interesting to see what my day 1 speed will be, the fibre cabinet is just down the road from me so I'm hoping for a good speed.
    Dave
    Forum Member
    dmp wrote: »
    I was also told there was a 10 day settling in period, so be interesting to see what my day 1 speed will be, the fibre cabinet is just down the road from me so I'm hoping for a good speed.
    Dave

Well somebody is wrong!
    My 1st day connection speeds were around 37Mbps, and they have now jumped to 52Mbps with a good dose of 47Mbps in between!
    I have been told to expect around 72-74..both Plusnet and the BT engineer told me the same thing. The cabinet is literally 100 yards up the road so they are expecting great things.
    I hope neither of them were telling me porkies
    :eek:
  • bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    *MikeB* wrote: »

That's not true. The speed can go up and down a bit in the first ten days whilst it works out the perimetres. They have to say this by law at point of sale.
    Forum Member
    That's not true. The speed can go up and down a bit in the first ten days whilst it works out the perimetres.

Which it states quite clearly in all of my paperwork.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since asking for my mac code I've noticed my download speed has dropped from around 7mbs to around 2, I wonder why, have ee decided as I'm leaving to restrict my speed so others can have a bit more bandwidth.
    Dave
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smiffy wrote: »
    I've just moved over to Plusnet from Sky. On their unlimited fibre package.
    BT engineer called as planned on Wednesday morning to sort out the fibre side of things, a little delay in Plusnet sending out my new router, that was here waiting for me when I got home from work last night.
    Currently getting download speeds of 47Mbps and uploads of 16Mbps. Their initial estimated line speeds were around the 72Mbps range, so I should see my speeds increasing a bit over the next 10 days settling in time.
    So all in all I'm pleased so far...apart from the delay in sending out the router. I checked on Monday as I was told it should arrive a few days before BT called to be informed that the automated system had "overlooked" sending it out. Good job I called as I could still be waiting for it!

When you switched from Sky were you allowed to keep the same phone number?
    Forum Member

Yep
    ;)
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Yes, but I know someone who had a bit of a battle with Sky over it since they were point blank refusing to release the number as part of the migration. He ended up having to get BT to intervene and reclaim it so that it could be used with his new ISP. I don't know if he had rattled some cages at Sky's end or what but its stories like that which are swaying me towards Plusnet.

On the bright side it looks like I might actually end up saving a bit by switching. I already have a compatible router, will be using Quidco for cashback and will probably take the line-rental saver option. :)