First look at Jenna Coleman as Victoria

Comments

• Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look forward to seeing her in it.
  • Oswin OswaldOswin Oswald Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Jenna is such an amazing actress. Clara is by far my favourite ever character, including anyone from the classic series. Seeing her in Victoria will be wonderful but will also remind me what a sad loss she is to Dr Who :cry::cry::cry:
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    I might watch it but not if it's full of rumpy pumpy and full of men taking off their shirts. No idea what has happened to all these costume dramas of late
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No doubt she will be as painful as she was as Clara Oswald
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jenna's Victoria looks a million miles away from the Miriam Margolyes version of Victoria in Blackadder's Christmas Carol (for me, the definitive image of Victoria:D), but not too dissimilar to the Pauline Collins Doctor Who version. In fact, if you seek out images of the young Pauline you may a bit of a look of Jenna about her.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,243
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    Jenna's Victoria looks a million miles away from the Miriam Margolyes version of Victoria in Blackadder's Christmas Carol (for me, the definitive image of Victoria:D), but not too dissimilar to the Pauline Collins Doctor Who version. In fact, if you seek out images of the young Pauline you may a bit of a look of Jenna about her.
    Ah, a man of taste I see. :)
    No doubt she will be as painful as she was as Clara Oswald
    At least Victoria is supposed to be miserable, bossy, and uptight, so if she just's plays it the way she played Clara she she should be fine in the role.:D
  • Boz_LowdownlBoz_Lowdownl Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenna is such an amazing actress. Clara is by far my favourite ever character, including anyone from the classic series. Seeing her in Victoria will be wonderful but will also remind me what a sad loss she is to Dr Who :cry::cry::cry:

I might have watched this, but as Clara is by far the worst continuous character ever to appear in Who that has unfortunately put me off.
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, it was a loss of two and a half seasons when we could have actually had good stories and adventures rather than watch Clara date. Clara Who is dead; long live Doctor Who. ;-)
  • wildestdreamswildestdreams Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    I might have watched this, but as Clara is by far the worst continuous character ever to appear in Who that has unfortunately put me off.

Yes, but she's by far the most competent actress to ever play a companion. I loved Clara but the writing was bad most of the times. Jenna played Clara very well for what she was given.

Victoria looks phenomenal.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I'll give it a go but lavish as it looks, it still feels typical for ITV though.

I'd have liked something a little more adventurous.

It does look good though.
  • Oswin OswaldOswin Oswald Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Jenna is absolutely amazing as Victoria as I knew she would be :) What an incredible actress she is. In addition to her 37 wonderful episodes of Dr Who there are now Victoria episodes to watch, happy days indeed :):):):) Victoria will fill the gap while awaiting her return as Clara ;-)
  • Boz_LowdownlBoz_Lowdownl Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenna is absolutely amazing as Victoria as I knew she would be :) What an incredible actress she is. In addition to her 37 wonderful episodes of Dr Who there are now Victoria episodes to watch, happy days indeed :):):):) Victoria will fill the gap while awaiting her return as Clara ;-)

... her return as Clara? What a truly sickening thought.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but she's by far the most competent actress to ever play a companion. I loved Clara but the writing was bad most of the times. Jenna played Clara very well for what she was given.

She's not a bad actress but I think the vast majority of the female companions would be ahead of her in the actual acting stakes! Seriously, she had her moments but was never really compelling, and the character was so irritating anyway it was a relief when she finally went away.
    One review referred to her in Victoria as 'growing from an adolescent with a daddy complex to a flighty young woman with an imperious streak. Well, she's done it before as it was exactly the character she played in Doctor Who'.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving the series so far. :D

Great to see three Doctor Who related actors in this; Jenna Coleman, Tommy Knight and Eve Myles.

It's probably a little early to be saying this, but I will be getting the DVD once it's on the shelf in my local HMV. :)

Anyone know when the DVD release is? I'd say late October, if not early November.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like to think she is a clara splinter. It would be cool if they could have a cameo of the tardis just there in one of the scenes.
  • POTDPOTD Posts: 9,869
    Forum Member

Yup she's great in it, so pleased Jenna has gone straight from the TARDIS into such a major role
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I've watched the first two episodes and I'm loving it. I'm not much of a history buff so I'm finding the whole story pretty fascinating.

I think Jenna is great in the role.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm watching this too and think she is brilliant as Victoria, just as she was as Clara.

As has been said, it's nice also to see some Who related actors in there too. I think Tom Price, aka PC Andy Davison from Torchwood, was in the first two episodes as well.

:)
  • SalcySalcy Posts: 4,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watching this too and think she is brilliant as Victoria, just as she was as Clara.

As has been said, it's nice also to see some Who related actors in there too. I think Tom Price, aka PC Andy Davison from Torchwood, was in the first two episodes as well.

:)

I agree. She's great. I liked her as Clara and in this. Good to see the Who alumni doing g so well. It means good up and coming actors won't think twice about taking on major roles in it. That typecasting nonsense hopefully will be a thing g of the past:)
  • wildestdreamswildestdreams Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    She's amazing in this.
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ladies and gentleman. I give you proper companions

Louise Jameson, Caroline John and Liz sladen
  • Brandon_SmithBrandon_Smith Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think shes a bad actress I just despise Clara and all the baggage she brought to the show, I started dancing around the Television when she dropped dead in Face the Raven.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    I'm afraid I found Clara so dislikeable that I do now struggle to watch anything with Jenna in it.

Which is a shame because I loved her first few episodes (Asylum of the Daleks and The Snowmen) and I am sure she is a perfectly competent actress.

My mum watched Victoria and said she enjoyed it but I just couldn't bring myself to watch it.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Clara is probably my favourite companion. Never got why people disliked her so much.
  • Lord SmexyLord Smexy Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    Clara is probably my favourite companion. Never got why people disliked her so much.

Me neither, unless it's S7 where she was a plot device more than a character, but I think once that was out of the way she was really allowed to grow and develop. She was a very flawed character, but unlike another flawed character named after a flower who should have stayed in another dimension, her motivations for acting the way she did were much more clear and made her sympathetic. I actually felt I could relate to her on an emotional level, whereas Rose was more of a case of "she's like us because she likes chips and has a normal job". Clara was no Sarah Jane but I think she earned her place in the Doctor Who universe.

It's only been one episode without her, but I miss her knowing the show's coming back without her. Bill looks great, though, and it's good to see Jenna doing more work beyond DW.