Galaxy Four

daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,409
Forum Member
✭✭
As with the majority of missing stories, it's really hard to make an accurate assessment of a story without seeing it. A lot of stories in Season Three have telesnaps but have yet to watch them.

With Galaxy Four, it's a bit of a mishmash as you have telesnaps, the odd clip, a few surviving scenes intact and off course the recently discovered missing episode, which hasn't been released yet, I think????

So I can only go on the audio recording and all I can say about Galaxy Four is that it comes across as slow moving story but albeit entertaining nonetheless. As with several stories from this Season, there seems to be a moral lesson to be learned.
In this case, it's Beauty Is Only Skin Deep. I love the twist that the Drahvins are the baddies whilst the Rills are the goodies. It was very cleverly done.

Maarga is actually quite unique for this period when female villains weren't really the norm. As such I thought she was a good and her frustration at her troops and her circumstances are quite interesting to watch.

Aside from that, I don't really think there is much more about this story to commend it, really. It's not one of my favourites from the Hartnell Era. I am intending to watch the telesnap version and see if I can improve my opinion on it though!

:)

Comments

• steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just hope someone who attended the event recorded the footage and puts it on youtube.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steven1977 wrote: »
    I just hope someone who attended the event recorded the footage and puts it on youtube.

Someone will, won't they? It's unavoidable. If it doesn't appear on there, it'll turn up elsewhere on the Internet. :rolleyes:
  • doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,018
    Forum Member
    Again tough to make an accurate judgment, particulary as I have only read the TARGET novelisation a few years ago. Did seem a bit of a repetitive read unfortunately, have seen clips of the Drahvins (very Sixties if you know what I mean, a bit original Lost in Space!) and the Chumblies (yeah Lost in Space like). A lot of the story seemed to be just being trapped in the Drahvins spaceship and the main Dravin being a bitch!
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was actually annoyed a bit by Vicki in this one. It's when she comes up with the name Chumblies and seems to think it's so clever. Her demeanour with the Drahvins also seems a touch more smartarsed than usual.

But the characterisations in this story must have been the product of some haste because it had been originally drafted as a Barbara/Ian/Vicki story and most of Barbara and Ian's lines had to be rewritten for Steven. Perhaps Vicki got some of Ian's dialogue along the way. Peter Purves would complain that his character wasn't right in Galaxy 4 because most of his lines had been written with Barbara in mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was actually annoyed a bit by Vicki in this one. It's when she comes up with the name Chumblies and seems to think it's so clever. Her demeanour with the Drahvins also seems a touch more smartarsed than usual.

But the characterisations in this story must have been the product of some haste because it had been originally drafted as a Barbara/Ian/Vicki story and most of Barbara and Ian's lines had to be rewritten for Steven. Perhaps Vicki got some of Ian's dialogue along the way. Peter Purves would complain that his character wasn't right in Galaxy 4 because most of his lines had been written with Barbara in mind.

One of these days we are gonna have a mutual consensus on Vicki! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can't really comment on how good or bad Galaxy 4 is as I've not seen the missing episode but judging by the Target novel that I recently read it seems a good story.
  • Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As with the majority of missing stories, it's really hard to make an accurate assessment of a story without seeing it. A lot of stories in Season Three have telesnaps but have yet to watch them.
    With Galaxy Four, it's a bit of a mishmash as you have telesnaps, the odd clip, a few So I can only go on the audio recording and all I can say about Galaxy Four is that it surviving scenes intact and off course the recently discovered missing episode, which hasn't been released yet, I think????
    comes across as slow moving story but albeit entertaining nonetheless. As with several stories from this Season, there seems to be a moral lesson to be learned.
    In this case, it's Beauty Is Only Skin Deep. I love the twist that the Drahvins are the baddies whilst the Rills are the goodies. It was very cleverly done.
    Maarga is actually quite unique for this period when female villains weren't really the norm. As such I thought she was a good and her frustration at her troops and her circumstances are quite interesting to watch.
    Aside from that, I don't really think there is much more about this story to commend it, really. It's not one of my favourites from the Hartnell Era. I am intending to watch the telesnap version and see if I can improve my opinion on it though! :)

Hi Daveyboy agree with your comments about listening to the audio for this story. It a bit like when I listened to The Macra Terror. It is really frustrating as you don’t really get any sense of the Drahvins facial expressions and body movements and with the Chumblies their charm is in actually seeing them with all the noises they make.

Although I did watch the Loose Cannon recon there isn’t any substitute for watching the proper existing footage ( episode 3 and 5 minutes from episode 1 ) and I did like what I saw. Not a classic but an interesting adventure none the less.

I enjoyed the moral message too but there was a part of me thinking the Rills came across as slightly too goody goody and it would have been nice to see a bit more light and shade in both races. Maarga’s beauty isn’t even skin deep. She is narrow minded and fixed on her goal to escape but I found her interesting character none the less. I would have liked to have seen the scene when she was telling off the clones and they were being all meek.

I did enjoy it as despite being four episodes it seems to jog along most of the time.

Hello CoalHill I don’t mind Vicki that much . She is generally less annoying than Susan and Maureen is a better actress to be honest !

I found a clip of Peter Purves complaining about his characterisation in Galaxy Four which seems a tad ungallant of him because I don’t think he did that badly to be honest.
    There was a great scene with the Drahvin clones where he was trying to get them to question how they were treated unequally and for them to get Maarga’s gun and the failed escape where he tried to outwit the Drahvins .

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18o3tw_doctor-who-3x00-galaxy-four-introduction_shortfilms
    Watch from about 1.30 in.
  • Lord SmexyLord Smexy Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always loved the Chumblies and wanted one as a pet. Not as much as an Alpha Centauri, but I guess these were the original cute aliens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lord Smexy wrote: »
    I always loved the Chumblies and wanted one as a pet. Not as much as an Alpha Centauri, but I guess these were the original cute aliens.

Definitely cute aliens

Maybe they didn't see the marketing opportunities back then but Chumblies are miles cuter than the Adipose who were lets face it just CGI
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Daveyboy agree with your comments about listening to the audio for this story. It a bit like when I listened to The Macra Terror. It is really frustrating as you don’t really get any sense of the Drahvins facial expressions and body movements and with the Chumblies their charm is in actually seeing them with all the noises they make.

Although I did watch the Loose Cannon recon there isn’t any substitute for watching the proper existing footage ( episode 3 and 5 minutes from episode 1 ) and I did like what I saw. Not a classic but an interesting adventure none the less.

I enjoyed the moral message too but there was a part of me thinking the Rills came across as slightly too goody goody and it would have been nice to see a bit more light and shade in both races. Maarga’s beauty isn’t even skin deep. She is narrow minded and fixed on her goal to escape but I found her interesting character none the less. I would have liked to have seen the scene when she was telling off the clones and they were being all meek.

I did enjoy it as despite being four episodes it seems to jog along most of the time.

Hello CoalHill I don’t mind Vicki that much . She is generally less annoying than Susan and Maureen is a better actress to be honest !

I found a clip of Peter Purves complaining about his characterisation in Galaxy Four which seems a tad ungallant of him because I don’t think he did that badly to be honest.
    There was a great scene with the Drahvin clones where he was trying to get them to question how they were treated unequally and for them to get Maarga’s gun and the failed escape where he tried to outwit the Drahvins .

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18o3tw_doctor-who-3x00-galaxy-four-introduction_shortfilms
    Watch from about 1.30 in.

Have you watched the Rediscovered Episode yet LOT? I think it certainly made the story come alive a lot more watching it. As it's such a slow moving story it suffers a lot listening to it via audio and even the telesnaps don't really help that much.

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you watched the Rediscovered Episode yet LOT? I think it certainly made the story come alive a lot more watching it. As it's such a slow moving story it suffers a lot listening to it via audio and even the telesnaps don't really help that much.

Hi Daveyboy I've watched Episode 3 if that's what you mean but if there is a link to something else new then please post here thank you 😊 I did like the episode especially with the cliffhanger with Steven and to see the Chumblies and the Rills space ship. Can't fault the production teams ambitions.
  • Marcus ScarmanMarcus Scarman Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    edited 31/01/22 - 20:04 #13
    I found this old thread on Galaxy Four. It's an interesting read, as it starts without the availability and viewing of Air Lock (made available as an extra via the special edition release of The Aztecs in 2013). The animated DVD has recently been released here across Australasia so with me purchasing a copy I've just started watching it (1st episode so far), after watching the extras. What's other people's opinion of it if you have a copy and watched the 4 episodes? I'm just pleased it managed to get released at all! :)
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the soundtrack CD, I knew this would be a good one. The surviving episode has that fantastic soliloquy from Maaga. Seeing it animated, i love it just as I knew I would. It's very old fashioned, creaky, minor, lowkey, but thoroughly enjoyable. A decent, solid bit of 60s sci-fi. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found this old thread on Galaxy Four. It's an interesting read, as it starts without the availability and viewing of Air Lock (made available as an extra via the special edition release of The Aztecs in 2013). The animated DVD has recently been released here across Australasia so with me purchasing a copy I've just started watching it (1st episode so far), after watching the extras. What's other people's opinion of it if you have a copy and watched the 4 episodes? I'm just pleased it managed to get released at all! :)

Since when has this story been animated?!!! And why over yonder and not over here?!

I would love to see that. As I said previously, I don't think the soundtrack does this story that much justice and the missing episode certainly gave it more oomph. Would be interesting to see how the animation adds to the viewing experience!

• Marcus ScarmanMarcus Scarman Posts: 120
    Forum Member

Since when has this story been animated?!!! And why over yonder and not over here?!

I would love to see that. As I said previously, I don't think the soundtrack does this story that much justice and the missing episode certainly gave it more oomph. Would be interesting to see how the animation adds to the viewing experience!

I'm sure it will be released Stateside as well at some point.

Aussie/ NZ ("region 4") have had Doctor Who releases around a month or 2 after the UK for a number of years now. Maybe the delay in the States is so a story can run on BBC America first prior to a DVD release(?)

It's quite an enjoyable little story and yeah as others have said -very 60's sci-fi -think Lost in Space or some of the episodes from Star Trek (which is a positive in my books), probably more so than any other Doctor Who story.

I can see why they decided to release this 1st Doctor story on DVD. I didn't really appreciate that there is almost 1.5 episodes to watch of a four parter here, and its great it has been completed (as best as possible) with both animation and the telesnaps/ commentary.

Only one story now to go! (boohoo :'( ).