Options

Doctor Who: Role was offered to black actor

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    But how do you do that in a way that doesn't almost discourage white kids from turning up at drama school as theres a "you must not be this white to enter here" sign by the door.

Theres a lot of cultural blocks like in certain communities its seen as lawyer/doctor or some sort of other profession or you're a disgrace to the family.

Like i've said before, give me the best doctor possible and i don't care if its a black transgender woman with dwarfism...just give me the best doctor god damn it.

BIB: There's no colour bar in either direction. It's not as if you'd have to recruit anything but non-whites. It merely redresses an imbalance that currently exists. The problem is if you can't increase the size of the pie, a bigger slice for one group must mean a smaller slice for others. But why should that be a reason for maintaining the present (unfair) status quo?

At the moment people are not getting into acting school entirely on merit (maybe). Perhaps some are getting in because fewer non-whites are applying? (Potentially) poorer white actors taking up the places (potentially better) non-white actors didn't apply for.

You wanted the best possible actors, right?
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The real problem is getting the kids to apply and that probably needs to start when they're rug rats and have schools/nurseries find those who are good at acting and give them and their parents a gentle nudge that this might be something worth doing. If theres more available for the producers of stuff to recruit from then it should slowly even out as we'll have a bigger pie.

The best thing would be for more of the cbeebies etc to use child actors of various ethnicity to get them into the system and have some sort of portfolio of work to be able to prove they can do it.
  • Options
    amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    I saw Les Mis as a teenager originally and was saddened to think I'd never be cast in it as I'm mixed race, despite my love of acting, singing etc. I was the only non white in my year group at school but was still cast as the lead in our sixth form production of The Tempest. On merit, not through the school trying to be diverse or anything. Years later as a teacher, we took a trip down to see the latest Les Mis production. I was chuffed to see a black Javert, oriental Eponine and I think another black revolutionary. Did it spoil the musical? No, because they were all talented actors from around the world. I just wish I'd had more role models growing up and I hope that today's youth (whatever their ethnicity) have someone out there to look up to.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    Yes, because I imagine its going to be hard to sell tickets for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, taking into account Rowling has stated the script is the official eighth book in the series. Not many people are going to be interested in seeing that.

Live owls have been removed from the new London play Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, after one of the birds escaped into the auditorium during the opening night

Hilarious !!!
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    Moffat's companions tend not to have much "family" unlike RTD.
    So with Martha Jones we got a whole family of talented black actors - and Reggie Yates !
    In SJA Clyde and Rani both had families which were played by exceptional actors

It's just a shame most of those family members weren't nicer, the mothers especially were whiny and off putting. It seemed to be an RTD thing, making the companions' mothers unpleasant or frivolous characters, Martha's, Rani's and Donna's. I wasn't over impressed by Jackie, either. The solution being to see less of the families and more of the Doctor:)
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LeMarchand wrote: »
    I do think that theatre and film are two different mediums with different standards of realism so despite my statement above it may explain why colour blind casting works better on stage. Also, plays tend to be staged again and again whereas movies aren't so frequently remade so maybe more variance becomes more acceptable on stage?

I think that you may have hit the nail on the head here. I don't know much about theater, and I had never really thought about this much before, but, given what I have seen on stage and what y'all have said in this forum, I think that I will simply change my expectations when watching plays (as infrequently as I do - about once a decade). :)
  • Options
    Lord SmexyLord Smexy Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talma wrote: »
    It's just a shame most of those family members weren't nicer, the mothers especially were whiny and off putting. It seemed to be an RTD thing, making the companions' mothers unpleasant or frivolous characters, Martha's, Rani's and Donna's. I wasn't over impressed by Jackie, either. The solution being to see less of the families and more of the Doctor:)

Except for Wilf. Wilf could have taken over the entire show, and I wouldn't have minded.

In fact, he could have murdered the Doctor and stole his TARDIS to do so, while doing that mischievious chuckle of his, and I still couldn't dislike him.
  • Options
    MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was when he seemed to be auditioning to write Eastenders.