How to burn a movie onto DVD?

Comments

• newlight1newlight1 Posts: 807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wish it was that easy. I have been trying to burn a DVD for going on 10 hours now!!
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now will you try DeVeDe?:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I managed to download AVS Video converter but cant understand how to burn something to DVD? Can anyone help to talk me though this please?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    Now will you try DeVeDe?:)

you got a direct link for DeVeDe?? Everytime I download it it says foxtab or softtonic?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Downloaded DeVeDe 3.16.8 Build 2
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DeVeDe has installed, what do I do next to burn a video to DVD do you know?
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newlight1 wrote: »
    DeVeDe has installed, what do I do next to burn a video to DVD do you know?

Try this - nothing could be easier - and it's free
    http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/

Just add the video file- e.g. .avi/.mkv/.flv etc. select what you want to convert it to -in your case DVD - put a blank disc in the writer and just let it get on with it.
    It converts, then burns to DVD with a couple of clicks
    See here http://www.freemake.com/how_to/how_to_burn_dvd_video
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK have downloaded freemake and what do I click on next? Video or DVD? I have the video downloaded onto my PC already, how do I now get it onto Disk?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wll I thought I had but can not find the download now in the browser that comes up with freevideo?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used Firefox to download the video. Is that ok to now import into freevideo? or should i use something else? As I can not seem to import the video into freevideo?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Open Freemake
    On the top left click on the button marked 'Video' and locate and select the file you want to convert and burn to DVD
    At the bottom of the interface select DVD from the options
    Insert a DVD into your burner and click BURN
    All of this is explained and shown in the second link I gave
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, when I did that it said file opening error? ANy idea why? Could it be something to do with how I downloaded the file and the format it is in? the format is a PLV file
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I burned it and the DVD poped out at the end but then it said "an error occured while burining DVD" "yopu can try to burn another disk or saved DVD folder to PC"

Why do yuo think this happened? What should I do?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was using firefox with the addons to download things but for some reason the addons part has vanished from the firefox part now? Any ideas what I can do?
  • redtuxredtux Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK general principles (not application specific)
    This is what every DVD creator should be doing

1. Transcode video into DVD format (or MPEG1 for vcd)
    This is an MPEG2 program stream with at least one audio stream in mpeg1 level 2 (mp2) or aac format AND with chapter marks for vob creation.
    2. Convert the above into a DVD file system
    3. optional write this to an image file
    4. Burn this to a disc. It is possible to write a DVD to either CD or DVD media (file size permitting)
    5. You can also create VCDs though these generally use mpeg1 which is less efficient and menus are limited.

Ignore comments about time for DVD/CD/VCD. It is dependent on filesize which is dependent on the the transcoding options and quality of output and input

I get about 13 hours of around TV quality on a standard DVD which wouldn't be good enough for some.

Any file which is not an actual vob file has to be transcoded

I dont use windows whenever possible so I have no comments on software. Though for Linux users have a look at http://burn360.sourceforge.net (one of my projects plug!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that, but that I dont understand any of that. I am a total technophobe and have been trying for many days now to download, then burn a video to DVD with no sucess :(
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    42 replies and only one person has mentioned what I consider the easiest, idiot proof and free utility out there. Freemake Video Convert will convert just about any format out there, allow you to have multiple files to one dvd (and automatically adjust quality to fit), convert to DVD format and burn all from one program.

http://www.freemake.com/downloads/

And a simple video of how to convert and burn to DVD

http://www.freemake.com/how_to/how_to_burn_dvd_video

- Add the files
    - Select DVD as output format. You can leave all the settings to default values, they will be fine. But if you want to mess with the menu and stuff you can.
    - Put in a blank DVD and click 'Burn'

Honestly, it couldn't get any more simpler then that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newlight1 wrote: »
    Thanks, when I did that it said file opening error? ANy idea why? Could it be something to do with how I downloaded the file and the format it is in? the format is a PLV file

A .plv file is used by this http://www.playon.tv/playlater
    Info about .plv can be found by a Google search
    https://www.google.com/search?q=.plv+files&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t

For playing and converting .plv see here
    http://www.downloadatoz.com/multimedia-player/plv-player.html

So, the difficulty here is the file format - if only we'd known that it was .plv at the start:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More on .plv and PlayOn which, I suspect, is what the OP is trying to convert/burn

Found on a trawl through Google

" Playon later. It allows you to download tv shows and watch them later. I want to put these videos on my 10.1 but the files are a .plv which I had not heard of. Anyone know how to convert these or get them to play on my Tab?"

and

"Just signed up myself for playon Later........

Anyway. the .plv opens in windows media player and I'm attempting to use one of my converter programs to convert the file. So far, the files cannot be opened even after changing the extension to .wmv."

I could, of course, be completely mistaken but without more details it's almost impossible to say.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    More on .plv and PlayOn which, I suspect, is what the OP is trying to convert/burn

Found on a trawl through Google

" Playon later. It allows you to download tv shows and watch them later. I want to put these videos on my 10.1 but the files are a .plv which I had not heard of. Anyone know how to convert these or get them to play on my Tab?"

and

"Just signed up myself for playon Later........

Anyway. the .plv opens in windows media player and I'm attempting to use one of my converter programs to convert the file. So far, the files cannot be opened even after changing the extension to .wmv."

I could, of course, be completely mistaken but without more details it's almost impossible to say.

anywhere you can download a sample file without signing up to playon and installing their junk ?

OP, maybe you can send an example, I am willing to have a look at it for you.
  • BK.BK. Posts: 1,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guys... I think this is a lost cause.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    anywhere you can download a sample file without signing up to playon and installing their junk ?

OP, maybe you can send an example, I am willing to have a look at it for you.

There have been several PMs exchanged between the OP and myself offering the same help but no further response yet (but may be too soon).
    ATM I'm afraid that without more info, combined with what I've seen so far, I'm inclined to agree with the BK 'lost cause' theory:(
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe a link to the file and a postal address would help?
    A DVD can be posted to the OP :)

But seriously, when stuck on a problem, first step is Google then a Forum perhaps.
    But then you must try to get face-face help.
    Friend/relative/Neighbour/Colleague to show you how to do something.

And write it down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Doesn't PlayOn state the downloaded PLV file is only playable on the PC on which it was downloaded, which to me suggests some form of DRM, and could be why the OP is having such a huge problem with what are very simple to use applications and instructions. As well of course, as most applications not supporting PLV files either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't PlayOn state the downloaded PLV file is only playable on the PC on which it was downloaded, which to me suggests some form of DRM, and could be why the OP is having such a huge problem with what are very simple to use applications and instructions. As well of course, as most applications not supporting PLV files either.

Yes, that looks about right from what I understand here
    http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1111779/
    One post says:
    "VLC media player, as well as most other players do not play .plv files.
    file converters (most) do not see the format .plv,"

On the other hand, if it is a movie/programme that the OP has obtained from PlayOn surely it's available from other sites in a standard format that can be converted /burned to DVD.
    It seems that these downloads from PayOn are not intended to be converted, never mind burned to DVD but watched only on the PC
    Which is why I have asked the OP (by PM) which movie/programme it is and where it was downloaded from