2013 Classic Series DVD releases.

Comments

• TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I finished watching the Shada episodes tonight. Overall, I liked it. I also think that about 2/3rds of it was completed, which was more than I was expecting. The ball reminded me of the stalwart guardian balls in The Prisoner.

I liked several of the special features on Disc 2 and especially the More Than 30 years in The Tardis documentary on Disc 3. (The commercials interspersed with the documentary were hilarious.)

Overall, it is well worth the money.

Now, I am waiting for Reign of Terror. :)

(Luckily I still have the E-Space trilogy to watch; Christmas kept interfering with my attempts to watch them in December, so I never had the time.)
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    news on mind of evil ep 1.

From babelcolour facebook page:

Do you want to know a secret? I've just finished Shot 61. That was my *final* shot. The 205th colourised shot for 'Mind of Evil' Episode One. There are no more shots to do! Admittedly, I've still got a dozen shots to go over and re-do so they're up to scratch, and a few hundred in-betweenie frames, but the fact cannot be ignored that every scene is now represented in colour for the first time in 42 years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    news on mind of evil ep 1.

From babelcolour facebook page:

Do you want to know a secret? I've just finished Shot 61. That was my *final* shot. The 205th colourised shot for 'Mind of Evil' Episode One. There are no more shots to do! Admittedly, I've still got a dozen shots to go over and re-do so they're up to scratch, and a few hundred in-betweenie frames, but the fact cannot be ignored that every scene is now represented in colour for the first time in 42 years.

Hooray! :):):)

I love the "in-betweenie" note. It is like the "Timey-Wimey" bit in the revival. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I finished watching The E-Space Trilogy the other night (111 - Full Circle, 112 - State of Decay and 113 - Warrior's Gate) and the last serial in there, 113 - Warrior's Gate, was really, really good. Most of Doctor Who is good (if not really good), or I would not love it so much, with the mediocre or really bad serials being the exception. But this serial was, to me, simply really, really good. Does anybody else love the layers and storyline of this one as much as I do? :):):)
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    on a bit of a catch up missiion myself.halfway through the mara tales boxset at the moment.only got the ace adventures to watch whichi keep putting off then i can watch shada and the rest of the 2013 releases as and when they come out.
  • slider28slider28 Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    I thought the WHOLE E-space trillogy was REALLY good.. But Warriors Gate was my fave of the bunch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slider28 wrote: »
    I thought the WHOLE E-space trillogy was REALLY good.. But Warriors Gate was my fave of the bunch.

I agree. It was sad to see Romona II go, but it was such a good serial/story.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that they had to animate two episodes of Reign of Terror? Does anybody know what the MSRP on it will be?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »
    Given that they had to animate two episodes of Reign of Terror? Does anybody know what the MSRP on it will be?

Do you mean the rrp? DWM has it as £20.42 but most places have it as a preorder price of £13.99
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its more than 13.99 in HMV. No wonder they are going into administraion!
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    I think its more than 13.99 in HMV. No wonder they are going into administraion!

Indeed - Legacy was £13.99 on Amazon and in Sainsburys and £24.99 :eek: in HMV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »

Nah wasnt meaning them. More amazon,play bbc shop
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean the rrp? DWM has it as £20.42 but most places have it as a preorder price of £13.99

Hmmm.... I live in Texas and here it is called MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price). What is RRP?

Does anybody have the price in U.S. Dollars? (I seem to greatly be in the minority here on this list as an American. Are there any others?)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm.... I live in Texas and here it is called MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price). What is RRP?

Does anybody have the price in U.S. Dollars? (I seem to greatly be in the minority here on this list as an American. Are there any others?)

It is the Recommended retail price. £20.42 is about $32 acording to google curency converter
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is the Recommended retail price. £20.42 is about $32 acording to google curency converter

Sweet. Thanks for the answers. :):):)

Y'all will have to tell me how Reign of Terror is once it is out in the U.K.; I will not be able to purchase my copy until Mid-February. :/
    Forum Member

Best buy has it listed at $19.99.. Im in Texas too...
    San Antonio.

Chaz
    Forum Member
    BBCAmerica is going to be showing The Aztecs Sunday Jan 27th at 8pm CST. Seems to be a running thing of differnt classic Doctor Who episodes to celebrate the 50th Anniversery.

Chaz
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slider28 wrote: »
    Best buy has it listed at $19.99.. Im in Texas too...
    San Antonio.

Chaz

Sweet! I am in Lubbock. :):):)

I hope that everything is cool down there for you.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My copy arrived and have watched ep4. The background looks lovely and is a step up from the invasion. The charcters look great but the glassy eyes look does take some getting used to. The editing style is going to be something controversial. A lot of fast cutting and fast shots which i feel makes the eps stand outand different when comparing with the existing episodes. I dont mind it myself but some others will have a grievence with. I do feel they will learn and in future hopefully bring the editorial style more will come more in line with the surviving episodes. Bring on ice warriors and many more
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also watched the first 4 episodes of Reign of Terror yesterday, I loved it. The animation does take some getting used to but it's much better than just a reconstruction.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    I also watched the first 4 episodes of Reign of Terror yesterday, I loved it. The animation does take some getting used to but it's much better than just a reconstruction.

Episode 5 feels less eratic to me. Almost as if somebody had requested they tone down the fast edititorial style a wee bit. Mind you it could be down to money/timing reasings as a fair amount of time and money was wasted on some of the early efforts that didnt work out. With the first one out of the way, the software having been devoloped and they will have learned from the expierence of reign future animations should be easier. (that is if they are doing more. With the trouble they went to developing their own software instead of buying an existing package i would be suprised if they didnt)

Also mind of evil update from the restoration team twitter feed : At TV Centre, grading episode one of The Mind of Evil - back in colour and looking stunning!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it is now January 28th and The Reign of Terror has been released in the U.K.. That makes the updated list:

The Reign of Terror: UK: Available Now, US: February 12th
    The Ark in Space (SE): UK: February 18th, : US: March 12th
    The Aztecs (SE) (plus Galaxy 4 ep 3): UK: March 11th, US: March 12th
    Dalek Movies (Blu-Ray): UK: May 27th, US: NA
    Terror of the Zygons: UK: June 24th, US: NA
    Inferno (SE): UK: June, US: NA
    Spearhead From Space (Blu-Ray): UK: July 15th, US: NA
    The Mind of Evil: UK: July, US: NA
    The Green Death (SE): UK: August, US: NA

and

The Tenth Planet
    The Ice Warriors
    The Underwater Menace: Episode 2
    The Visitation (SE)

With possible future Special Editions:

The Dalek Invasion of Earth
    The Web Planet
    The Mind Robber
    Genesis of the Daleks
    Pyramids of Mars
    The Hand of Fear
    Horror of Fang Rock
    City of Death
    The Leisure Hive
    Earthshock
    The Mark of the Rani
    The Two Doctors
    Revelation of the Daleks
    Ghost Light
    The Curse of Fenric
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reign of Terror at Whovention: Gold Sydney Feb 22-24

http://whovention.dwca.org.au/?q=blog/more-guests-missing-episodes-and-exclusives

Dan Hall, commissioning editor of the Doctor Who DVD range, is flying in to join Austen Atkinson of animation company Planet 55 Studios for two exclusive and exciting panels at Whovention: Gold.

The Reign of Terror Panel
    To coincide with the Australian DVD release of the William Hartnell adventure The Reign of Terror, Dan and Austen will present a behind-the-scenes look at the restoration and animation of the two missing episodes, with exclusive footage.

The Reign of Terror DVD will be on sale, representing months of intense work from Austen’s Australian animation team.

But these are not the only missing episodes fans are eager to enjoy once more…

The Missing Episodes Panel
    Since the recovery of the Galaxy Four episode Airlock, as well as The Underwater Menace part 2 back in 2011, fans have waited eagerly to see them for the first time in over 45 years. If you’re one of those eager fans, you really, really don’t want to miss Dan and Austen’s Missing Episodes panel at Whovention. **wink**

Plus what about all the other incomplete stories, still unavailable, unrestored and unannounced? You want another world exclusive to enviously tell other fans about after the event?

This is the panel you have to see! Until then… spoilers!All the best"

Looks like there is going to be defenitly more animations. Cant see any other reason why the head of the animators is part of the missing episodes panel as well as the reign of terror panel
  • gareth1408gareth1408 Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Well, it is now January 28th and The Reign of Terror has been released in the U.K.. That makes the updated list:

The Reign of Terror: UK: Available Now, US: February 12th
    The Ark in Space (SE): UK: February 18th, : US: March 12th
    The Aztecs (SE) (plus Galaxy 4 ep 3): UK: March 11th, US: March 12th
    Dalek Movies (Blu-Ray): UK: May 27th, US: NA
    Terror of the Zygons: UK: June 24th, US: NA
    Inferno (SE): UK: June, US: NA
    Spearhead From Space (Blu-Ray): UK: July 15th, US: NA
    The Mind of Evil: UK: July, US: NA
    The Green Death (SE): UK: August, US: NA

and

The Tenth Planet
    The Ice Warriors
    The Underwater Menace: Episode 2
    The Visitation (SE)

With possible future Special Editions:

The Dalek Invasion of Earth
    The Web Planet
    The Mind Robber
    Genesis of the Daleks
    Pyramids of Mars
    The Hand of Fear
    Horror of Fang Rock
    City of Death
    The Leisure Hive
    Earthshock
    The Mark of the Rani
    The Two Doctors
    Revelation of the Daleks
    Ghost Light
    The Curse of Fenric

Not liking this special edition lark! They are so relying on the hardcore fans to double up and in some cases triple up! :mad: