Dog Kennels

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
Forum Member
Hi,

My Mum and Dad have gone away for a really long weekend - from Thursday to Monday - and have left me with their dog - I am not a dog person but this has been like someone leaving their child with me, except a child would understand when I shout at them or tell them not to do anything. This dog doesn't.

My Mum and Dad will be away for two weeks in September and I really don't think I could cope with this devil dog on my own for two weeks.

So I was wondering are Dog Kennels OK? I mean I always think of them as sad cages like RSPCA and I don't think I could live with the guilt but does anyone have any experience of them are they good? do they get their walks and get to run around and play?

Any experience or advice would be helpful thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Firstly shouting and yelling at a dog is not going to make it listen to you.

Consider what it is the dog is doing that you want it to stop
    What you could do that that will make it stop that behaviour
    and are you doing everything you can to make him comfortable and happy while your parents are away???????

To answer your question every kennel is very different. If your parents decide to kennel the dog when they go away next time a great deal of research will have to be done. Visiting a lot of kennels and asking a lot of questions. Personally I have only kennelled my dog twice in his 6 years and it broke my heart the twice. The once paid a sum of money as it sounded great on paper and looked a dream, but wasn't happy with his condition, their attitude etc the way they kept the dogs controlled. The second time I went for a small family run place, was nothing special to look at, you probably would have drove past it without a second glance but the dogs were out of their kennels most of the day and the owner bonded with each and every one. My dog looked like he'd had a whale of a time. Plus the price was nothing compared to the first.

Also if you do not live at home, dont have a great interest in the dog, they could consider a home/pet sitter/walker who comes and stays at the home and treats the home and dog as her own for the duration. They are CRB checked etc and the dog doesn't have the stress of going to a kennel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    Sorry but positive reenforcement doesn't work with him. Ignoring when he does bad things does help, putting him in the porch for a little while doesn't help, shouting at him doesn't work, putting the dog smelling thing to stop him chewing things doesn't work, I have spent every minute of the day since Thursday with him. Taken him for three hour walks one in the morning and one of an evening in between he has the run of the garden with me sat on a chair with him and throwing his toys.

He has destroyed every pot plant in the garden in the time that I took to make a Beef Paste Sandwich. So it isn't like I am not giving him attention.

I wouldn't mind if it was just normal looking after - feeding and walking etc.- but I have spent my Five Days holiday looking after a dog from Morning til Night

Thanks for the information on the kennels though.

It has taken me Twenty minutes to write this post as I have to get up and move him away from / or stop him doing something naughty.