Options

Benefits Street: C4 6th Jan 9pm

Comments

• Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    I'd even happily do one of those work trials if there was a guaranteed job at the end if I'd proved myself capable and reliable for the job.

am thinking of going down the place i got refereed to by the jobcentre, i applied for some jobs through them, didn't get any of them, went to an a group meeting with the employer, a sort of get to know you and well see if we give you an interview, didn't get through to the interview stage, one open day for care work which i was sent along to, waste of time, (long story) i have one job interview i got on my own but my nerves went to hell and i fell into a million little pieces) eventually, they stopped giving me appointments and stopped helping me, it has been 5 months since i heard from them
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im trying to get out of my situation, i am looking or some work but can i find anything, can i hell, i do voluntary work for 3 hours a week (didn't do it last week , getting out of bed was difficult i was feeling that bad)but i still have to go home and i start feeling like crap again, i need my own place but the chances of me getting one is slim

when my mother is on one of her depressive cycles i help my father look after her, doesn't do my mental health any good at all but i do it, the situation though is slowly destroying me, if havent got a paid j0b and a place of my own soon i do not think i will be around next year

i go to bed hoping i won't wake up again, am disappointed when i do wake up

Aww that's a terrible place to be in.
    I think you may need to speak to someone about your feelings Steve.

((( ))) Hope things get better for you .
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    am thinking of going down the place i got refereed to by the jobcentre, i applied for some jobs through them, didn't get any of them, went to an a group meeting with the employer, a sort of get to know you and well see if we give you an interview, didn't get through to the interview stage, one open day for care work which i was sent along to, waste of time, (long story) i have one job interview i got on my own but my nerves went to hell and i fell into a million little pieces) eventually, they stopped giving me appointments and stopped helping me, it has been 5 months since i heard from them

Shame that your nerves let you down, but that fact that you got an interview is a sign you are on the right track.

It is perfectly normal to get nervous at job interviews.

Keep trying :)
  • Options
    hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    I'm actually now detesting people that don't work for a long time.
    Me and my husband work....my husband has worked for 30'odd years non stop and we still have not claimed any benefit.
    He has not worked since December and we are living off savings and not claiming anything.
    Are we stupid......I think we probably are because we actively look for work and even more stupidly live off of our savings.
    Government needs to really turn their attention to long term unemployed and Jeremy Kyle types.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Me and my husband work....my husband has worked for 30'odd years non stop and we still have not claimed any benefit.
    He has not worked since December and we are living off savings and not claiming anything.

lucky you, am glad your life has gone smoothly, sometimes peoples don't, no reason to detest people is it

i did have one to one therapy but it didnt do much good really
    Shame that your nerves let you down, but that fact that you got an interview is a sign you are on the right track.

It is perfectly normal to get nervous at job interviews.

it was my first interview for 3 years, have been on ESA since late 2010, i also get nervous in interviews, forget what to say and panic
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im trying to get out of my situation, i am looking or some work but can i find anything, can i hell, i do voluntary work for 3 hours a week (didn't do it last week , getting out of bed was difficult i was feeling that bad)but i still have to go home and i start feeling like crap again, i need my own place but the chances of me getting one is slim

when my mother is on one of her depressive cycles i help my father look after her, doesn't do my mental health any good at all but i do it, the situation though is slowly destroying me, if havent got a paid j0b and a place of my own soon i do not think i will be around next year

i go to bed hoping i won't wake up again, am disappointed when i do wake up

We have all been there at some point mate.
    Have you ever thought about getting a job with accommodation. 30 years ago I got a caretakers job (don't do it now) with a free 2 bedroom house and good money. There are still some of these types of jobs about.
    Here is a link. Chin up.;-)

http://www.thecaretakers.net/CMS/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=1&id=69&Itemid=43
  • Options
    WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lucky you, am glad your life has gone smoothly, sometimes peoples don't, no reason to detest people is it

i did have one to one therapy but it didnt do much good really

it was my first interview for 3 years, have been on ESA since late 2010, i also get nervous in interviews, forget what to say and panic

Yes interviews can be terrifying. I hope you get some good news soon, and things start to get better for you. :)

I think it's great that we have a welfare system; which is why it's such a shame when certain people give benefit claimants a bad name (because there's plenty of other people who are in genuine need).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People like koantemplation don't accept that I'm afraid.

There is little point trying to convince him otherwise. As far has he is concerned, you are worse than Hitler.

Yes, so I've gathered. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's up to them, just because they are on benefits doesn't mean you should tell them what to do.

You are just judging them because they are on benefits.

Plenty of people work and have dirty homes too.

And tax payers do have a right to an opinion on where their money goes and on who. Benefits are funded by tax payers, so is social housing.
  • Options
    DimsieDimsie Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we stupid......I think we probably are because we actively look for work and even more stupidly live off of our savings.
    Government needs to really turn their attention to long term unemployed and Jeremy Kyle types.

You and your husband should find out what benefits you're entitled to rather than just live off your savings. You've worked and paid tax and national insurance, so you've contributed to the system, and it's now time for the system to help you. Good luck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    feckit wrote: »
    We have all been there at some point mate.
    Have you ever thought about getting a job with accommodation. 30 years ago I got a caretakers job (don't do it now) with a free 2 bedroom house and good money. There are still some of these types of jobs about.
    Here is a link. Chin up.;-)

http://www.thecaretakers.net/CMS/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=1&id=69&Itemid=43

thanks, i will check it out :)
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And tax payers do have a right to an opinion on where their money goes and on who. Benefits are funded by tax payers, so is social housing.

They have a right to an opinion that is not biased or prejudiced.

The government are using the actions of a few to justify treating ALL unemployed with prejudice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have a right to an opinion that is not biased or prejudiced.

The government are using the actions of a few to justify treating ALL unemployed with prejudice.

Well if certain people didn't give the government that ammunition, then the government wouldn't be able to use such justifications.
  • Options
    Forum Member

fair enough but nobody has a right to get nasty about it, have seen plenty of horrid comments on twitter while this show was on, some have even wished death on them (not the first time this has happened), that is wrong :(

don't get me wrong, i love my parents, i love my dad, i love my mum, it i not her fault she is ill
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well if certain people didn't give the government that ammunition, then the government wouldn't be able to use such justifications.

What ammo did they give?

Did they go up to the government and say 'Hey I don't like having benefits, so I am going to show you that I live like a slob so you can justify cutting my benefits'?

Or did the media and the Government show a few examples of people they do not like and that justify their position and then say 'Look what these people are like'?

Propaganda.
  • Options
    Forum Member

problem is the government is using this to further own political ends, they are trying to get rid of all ta credits etc, which is wrong
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    problem is the government is using this to further own political ends, they are trying to get rid of all ta credits etc, which is wrong

The problem is that they are demonizing a section of society in order to justify the cuts.

I am not against getting rid of tax credits. The tax system needs to be simplified and we should just pay the tax we pay, not get any rebates or credits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fair enough but nobody has a right to get nasty about it, have seen plenty of horrid comments on twitter while this show was on, some have even wished death on them (not the first time this has happened), that is wrong :(

I agree with you. Frankly, there are far worse people out there than those who misuse the welfare system. I detest the way some of the red tops have poisoned the debate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The problem is that they are demonizing a section of society in order to justify the cuts.

exactly

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=71000410&postcount=1675

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/01/iain-duncan-smiths-speech-on-welfare-reform-full-text/
    I agree with you. Frankly, there are far worse people out there than those who misuse the welfare system. I detest the way some of the red tops have poisoned the debate.

what do you mean Red Tops?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know why the debate that was scheduled after the programme was pulled?

edit - found the answer
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/feb/06/benefits-street-channel-4-moves-debate-show
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know why the debate that was scheduled after the programme was pulled?

It is on next week at the same time as the immigration debate on C5, they want a ratings war I suppose
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,188
    Forum Member

edit - found the answer
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/feb/06/benefits-street-channel-4-moves-debate-show

Ratings probably - they'll get better figures in the 9pm slot, although I've read that it's going head-to-head with Dirty Desmond's Big Immigration Shindig, so I don't know if the strategy will payoff.

The public hate benefit claimants.
    The public hate immigrants.
    Who do they hate more?
    There's only one way to find out...:D
  • Options
    lubo 25lubo 25 Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lucky you that has been in a position to save, if you have money in savings, why would you need to claim benefits :confused:
  • Options
    lubo 25lubo 25 Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

don't get me wrong, i love my parents, i love my dad, i love my mum, it i not her fault she is ill

That's a positive in your life, I wish I still had my parents
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lubo 25 wrote: »
    That's a positive in your life, I wish I still had my parents

I know it is, I love my parents, it isn't easy living with them though, and it isnt easy for them having me there as well, we all have mental health problems,my mothers depressve cycles are difficult to cope with and when she is well me and dad are still getting over the last time she was ill and the time before that