Karen needs to uncomplicate her routines and play to her partners' strengths

tornadotornado Posts: 196
Forum Member
Firstly, this is not intended as a personal attack on Karen - I think that she's clearly a really good dancer and has a nice personality.

However, rewatching the Gary clip on youtube, I think that the routine she picked for Gary was far too fast paced and contained some ridiculously difficult elements which were way beyond his ability. Although other celebrity dancers may have been able to do the moves in the first week, when it was obvious that Gary couldn't she should have axed them.

For example, the shake on the stairs was a horrendous first move. Gary clearly couldn't do it and it struck me as a really difficult opening move as it required perfect and immediate timing/rhythm as well as masses of confidence. I actually don't think any of the celebrity men would have been able to do it well. Karen should have realised that it didn't work/look good and gone for an alternative start.

There were also certain spins and other gestures that Gary just couldn't keep up with. As others have said, even if Karen didn't intend for it to look this way, it looked as if she was showing off how amazing she was and didn't care if Gary could keep up.

I think that it would be much better if Karen did something much simpler (boring even) which Gary could perfect (or at least get some of it right) rather than a really quite difficult routine where Gary is going to look horrendous especially in comparison to her doing it fast.

I'm probably going to get shot down in flames for this but I much preferred Matt and Lillia's showdance to hers and Mark's because I felt that her choreography was just too complicated and Mark although obviously very good was really having to work very hard to keep up. Certain elements of that show dance looked rushed/messy. I much preferred Matt and Lillia's showdance which was extremely slick and where everything was perfect. I also quite like simplicity in dancing rather than throwing in difficult move after difficult move.

I suppose what I'm saying is that I think it is better to do something simpler well than to do a complicated dance and struggle. I actually don't think that Gary is totally distastrous as a dancer but I couldn't see that there was any place for him to shine in that routine. Karen should adapt her routines to her dance partner and make sure that they look good and comfortable.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    I think you're right & it's good that someone can make an informed comment; however the die hard Karen fans will probably send you to the tower and have your head lopped off for saying it:)

She was criticised by the judges for doing the same thing with Mark's jive. I do think she forgets that the choeography is supposed to compliment her celeb rather than show of her own talents, I don't dislike her but do find this aspect of her self indulgent.
  • FizFiz Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    There were parts of the routine that reminded me of the 'hat' one she did with Bill Turnbull. I think all of the dancers re-use choreography as they get a feel for what a newbie might cope with.

They were my prediction to go - after all that talk of striving for perfection he just didn't come across well - we'll see if things have improved by next week.

There have been threads before about professionals who can choreograph to their partners strengths (and not their own!). Darren Bennett gets my vote, his routines always strike me as being something his partner can cope with and that will show any strengths (!) they may have.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    You make a lot of good points there tornado. I completely agree about the showdance of series 4, there was too much involved in it and could have been even better IMO.

I am huge fan of Karen and I liked her routine on Saturday, it was certainly one of the most entertaining and so on. Karen also made a good point in the VT that Garys search for perfection was holding them back on the routine, I agree with your point however that had the steps maybe been simpler then perfection would have came easier.

I am glad they stayed and I think there is alot more to come from this couple:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the idea of Gary's need for perfection and not even coming close. Did he ever think he was doing it well? She should definately have turned the difficulty setting down to zero and just introduced steps he had a hope in hell of perfecting...

Ah, well - maybe he'll be out next week (we live in hope)

Remember that ad he did a few years ago...? "The secret to a perfect sausage... get a prick to cook them...!" or summink like that...
  • spider9spider9 Posts: 4,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tornado wrote: »
    For example, the shake on the stairs was a horrendous first move. Gary clearly couldn't do it and it struck me as a really difficult opening move as it required perfect and immediate timing/rhythm as well as masses of confidence. I actually don't think any of the celebrity men would have been able to do it well. Karen should have realised that it didn't work/look good and gone for an alternative start.

I agree and made a similar comment on another thread earlier.

I have always found Karen's choreography for the cha cha cha a little twee anyway and her energy comes across to me as a bit frenetic at times.

It's shame that they didn't get the waltz as I'm sure she would have been able to really make something of that. Karen has done some beautiful waltzes with all of her contestants, even last year with Brian wasn't that bad.

I wonder if the professionals have any choice in their first dance? Karen has done the cha cha 3 times in the first week now, and so have Lilia and Camilla.

Maybe a question for another thread.
  • tornadotornado Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    spider9 wrote: »

I wonder if the professionals have any choice in their first dance? Karen has done the cha cha 3 times in the first week now, and so have Lilia and Camilla.

I think it's to do with what the professional's speciality is meant to be? As Karen, Lilia and Camilla all mainly focus on Latin then I think they give them that in the first week. However, if the contestant's older than they give them Ballroom (like John).

Though maybe I'm talking nonsense as I just remembered that Don's older and he did Latin with Lillia.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Though maybe I'm talking nonsense as I just remembered that Don's older and he did Latin with Lillia.:)[/QUOTE]

I don't think youre talking nonsense at all, I think because Dons an actor he has less of a cringe factor when dancing Latin than a political correspondent would have .
    Actors are luckier I suppose because they can create a charachter when dancing whereas John would always be John the old chap
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do agree, I think Vincent and Flavia both over complicate their routines aswell, whereas Lilia and Camilla both keep the latin ones simple but well performed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Don is a fitter old chap than John.

Anyway, back to topic :cool:

Maybe the criticism of complicated routines could be levelled at any of the professionals, not just Karen. I always think the cha cha is a very exposed dance and so difficult to pull off in the first week if the male celeb is a bit wary.

I know Gethin got slated last year, will have to go on you tube and watch his dance again to see how difficult it is. Oh the hardship. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    laurab88 wrote: »
    I do agree, I think Vincent and Flavia both over complicate their routines aswell, whereas Lilia and Camilla both keep the latin ones simple but well performed.

am still going to watch Gethin on youtube and not just take your word for it!
  • dazzlingdawndazzlingdawn Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt I had seen Karen's dance before - each move was so familiar. It didn't seemed choreographed to Gary's strengths at all, just things Karen likes to do. Ola is another one - she forgets to showcase her partner, it's all about her. As others have commented, Lilia and Darren, in particular are brilliant at finding what their partners are comfortable with and can do well and working a routine around that. I really felt Gary should have gone.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have also made these similar comments in other threads. Its week 1 Karen - simplify things!! - you can do better cherography later in the competition!!
  • ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    I still don't know what that section was all about when he was playing the piano ???? on her back?

Can someone explain? That should have been ditched at the outset.

Do the simple things well. Especially with him as he seemed to get so stressed-out by the whole thing!
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I felt I had seen Karen's dance before - each move was so familiar. It didn't seemed choreographed to Gary's strengths at all, just things Karen likes to do. Ola is another one - she forgets to showcase her partner, it's all about her. As others have commented, Lilia and Darren, in particular are brilliant at finding what their partners are comfortable with and can do well and working a routine around that. I really felt Gary should have gone.
    I would add Erin to that - she nurtured Peter Schmeichel and Willie Thorne and played to their strengths.

I like Karen - but perhaps she lost sight of the fact that Gary doesn't appear to be a natural dancer - and he must take some responsibility for losing time striving for perfection.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still don't know what that section was all about when he was playing the piano ???? on her back?

Can someone explain? That should have been ditched at the outset.

Do the simple things well. Especially with him as he seemed to get so stressed-out by the whole thing!

I think he was making pasta.:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    hahaha, that was really funny. I think Karen was trying to play the entertainment card with that move...giving the audience something to remember about her routine.

This has previously worked well for her...we had the hat with bill in week 1 series 3 and then we had the hand clapping thing in week 1 series 4 with Mark:p
  • arddunolarddunol Posts: 12,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not convinced about Camilla making things simple , Camilla likes to show off what she can do more than any other dancer , she is so frenetic at times it is only her the audience really sees . Good move maybe ? ;similarly with Ola .Did anyone see much beyond Ola's outfit .?

Watch Ian and his routines are often too complex .

I agree Lilia has a talent for pitching everything at the right level .

As for Gary's cha cha , I did wonder had she realised she didn't have a Ramps on her hands again , more a Bill, with character she could bring out and exploit but perhaps more limited dance ability .If It's fast you often miss mistakes , if it has gimmicks you see those and not the poor technique .
    She found she didn't need those with Mark.
    I enjoyed both showdances in 2006 and 2007, Mark's and Matt's were different and I think Karen was maybe too concerned with the showdance element , but then that is what we are constantly told is what is expected and we are shown the Cat people doing it !
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps if Gary had done as he was told and not spent so long trying to perfect the small details, he'd have done a bit better.

Anyway, it's a learning curve both for the celebs and the professionals. Karen is still evaluating Gary's strengths and weaknesses and will no doubt tailor their future routines to get the most out of her partner.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree with you so completely I'm wondering if you're telepathic! I've always thought that Darren is underrated as a choreographer. On the basis of Saturday's show I think Kristina may be another one. The waltz she choreographed played to John's capabilities and was charming and entertaining as a result.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »
    I agree with you so completely I'm wondering if you're telepathic! I've always thought that Darren is underrated as a choreographer. On the basis of Saturday's show I think Kristina may be another one. The waltz she choreographed played to John's capabilities and was charming and entertaining as a result.

Kristina did a magnificent job with John. She seemed very sweet behind the scenes too. I hope they aren't booted out soon!
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even though I'm a Karen fan, I agree. It was just too much for him.

I disagree about the showdances though, I thought Mark coped with theirs well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fiz wrote: »
    There were parts of the routine that reminded me of the 'hat' one she did with Bill Turnbull. I think all of the dancers re-use choreography as they get a feel for what a newbie might cope with.

You're right. I sometimes think that if I see one more sycopated New Yorker in an SCD Cha Cha I will throw something at the telly!
  • jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    I think it's very likely that in the first couple of dances the pros might misjudge their celebs as they are still getting to know them and it's hard for them to know how much the nerves are going to get to them when it's the real thing. It's very possible that all the celebs were better in rehearsal. I don't think that dance on Saturday is a fair reflection of Karen's choreography.

Do I remember the judges telling her she'd made one key dance of Mark's more difficult than she needed to? I think I remember that but I might be getting mixed up.

I'm not that keen on Gary but to be fair to him he isn't a dancer and his 'perfectionism' might be his way of being nervous. It may just be that he needs things explained to him very carefully. Annoying to teach but understandable.

I completely agree with everyone who said Kristina did a wonderful dance for John.
  • dazzlingdawndazzlingdawn Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sid_1979 wrote: »
    Kristina did a magnificent job with John. She seemed very sweet behind the scenes too. I hope they aren't booted out soon!

Totally agree with that comment too. Just lovely. Also, the comment re: Erin and how she gets it so right. Matthew does too. I don't think it's right to say they are still working out their partner's characters, because in that case, all the professional dancers would get it so wrong in the first few weeks and they don't, as we've already said.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember the judges saying Darren complicated the issue for Jill (I think it might have been the tango - not sure) - and that was the penultimate week of series 2.

If it can happen to Darren (who I think choreographs brilliantly for his partners) - it can happen to anyone else.