e-books

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can anyone recomend any decent websites to buy e-books for a Sony PRS 300 e-reader. So far I have found WH Smiths, Waterstones & The Book Depository.

Comments

• GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone recomend any decent websites to buy e-books for a Sony PRS 300 e-reader. So far I have found WH Smiths, Waterstones & The Book Depository.

What books are you looking for?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just normal fiction books, but the sites i've found seem a little expensive
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just normal fiction books, but the sites i've found seem a little expensive

Yeah e-books are way overpriced IMO which just causes more people to download them illegally from bittorrent. They would be better to follow what music did and reduce the price a great deal.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    The prices are too high unless you get books that have no copyright such as "Treasure Island".

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/120
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ebboks are in general way overpriced at the moment, though there are some companies (Baen Books are one) that are begining to cotton on that ebooks should be cheap.

If you don't mind buying from an American site then www.fictionwise.com are quite good - their pricings are often cheaper for the same titles offered by the UK sites, and they often heavily discount titles, especially when first released.

Though some UK publishers are now putting regional restrictions on their titles so you can only purchase through the UK stores.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The prices are too high unless you get books that have no copyright such as "Treasure Island".

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/120

Thanks for this link. I also found these free books

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/dealsAndOffers/promo/id/100?searchSortBy=bestsellers&promo=100&searchTerm=&page=1#content
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Yeah e-books are way overpriced IMO which just causes more people to download them illegally from bittorrent. They would be better to follow what music did and reduce the price a great deal.

The really annoying thing is that the illegally scanned versions are often of better quality than the legal ones - some I have bought have been shockingly bad - like unproofed first drafts!
  • VanillaPodVanillaPod Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Don't forget to check out your local library's online catalogue. Many now lend ebooks, and the Overdrive system works with Sony's ereaders (haven't tried it, but that's what they say on my library's site). I've tried a few library ebooks on a laptop and they work really well. They even "expire" after the lending period is over, so you don't have to worry about overdue fines :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VanillaPod wrote: »
    Don't forget to check out your local library's online catalogue. Many now lend ebooks, and the Overdrive system works with Sony's ereaders (haven't tried it, but that's what they say on my library's site). I've tried a few library ebooks on a laptop and they work really well. They even "expire" after the lending period is over, so you don't have to worry about overdue fines :D

Unfortuantely Birmingham Libraries don't offer these. I did e-mail them and got this reply

Thank you for your enquiry about the availability of ebooks available
    through libraries.

I'm sorry that we don't offer this service yet, although I believe that
    there are some available free on the internet.

However, your enquiry has caused us to look again at the subject of
    e-books, which we have researched in the past and not found appropriate
    for lending by libraries. We will certainly reconsider the possibility.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful at the moment, but please keep checking
    our web site for future developments.

Kind regards,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone want to e-mail Birmingham libraries to ask them (the more e-mail enquiries they receive, the more likely they are to start offering them)

Libraries@birmingham.gov.uk
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I see the title "Free eBooks" but I see no eBooks? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see the title "Free eBooks" but I see no eBooks? :confused:

They're well hidden in the page layout but the links are there at the bottom of the product page.
  • PaulJoseph22PaulJoseph22 Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

E-Bay
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    E-Bay

I think I have found a new release book thats actually the same price in ebook format from WH smith!

http://ebooks.whsmith.co.uk/181EE492-3DB4-4D20-9A48-41553742CDC7/10/132/en/ContentDetails.htm?ID=FC6BEF1F-98D8-4033-93D1-E687E8AAB2CA
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree re the cost of audio books, some are very expensive!:eek: I prefer to actually read books but i do listen to audio books frequently and I can identify with the OP's dilemma like many others

I signed up to audible a while back and they're very reasonable; for £6.99 a month you get 1 free credit each month. I tend to use my credit for the more costly ones, provided i like them, obviously!! and you get to hear a preview before you buy. Plus you can download the books on an unlimited basis after youve "paid" for them with your monthly credit. I know one audio book a month doesnt sound like a lot but the month soon comes round!
    i think they're worth a look

:)