Options

Victorian Farm

warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone else feel like drilling a hole in their head watching this programme?
I especially feel like it when that woman is on.

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's about the only programme my husband will watch these days, and I also find it very good indeed.
    Fascinating to see how our grand parents lived we know from stories passed down of course but very nice to see how it all worked.

Find the 3 presenters extremely entertaining, just the right combination of history teaching and humour.

Might not be for everyone but then there are many shows these days we don't want to see either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Completely and utterly loved it !! Only ever caught the last few of the V/F series proper and I am now totally engrossed each week with Edwardian Farm..don't wan't it to ever end !!

Todays special was a real treat .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    I've loved every series these 3 people have done. I'm especially loving Edwardian Farm.

I hope we get another similar series next year......maybe a farm set in WWII?
  • Options
    kernow19kernow19 Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Couldn't be further from the truth,IMHO. Excellent and informative programme, as are the three presenters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kernow19 wrote: »
    Couldn't be further from the truth,IMHO. Excellent and informative programme, as are the three presenters.

In a Facebook fashion ... 'like' !!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really I am not alone, when I initially answered the OP I had a horrible feeling I might be a lone voice :o
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

I presume there's something in the program you don't like and that's an attempt at criticism.
    Maybe you've already drilled a hole in your head if that post is what you can come up with.

I really like Victorian and Edwardian Farm, Coal house at War.
    I'll watch them again and again.
    I enjoy the whole construct with everyone dressed in period costume.
    Ruth Goodman's an old school grafter, she's amusingly poor with a sewing machine, but she can do very little wrong in my eyes.
  • Options
    opal88opal88 Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with the original poster I'm afraid.Dull and worthy beyond belief - one fee paying school in the northern suburbs is missing its geography teachers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They aren't TV presenters they are historians so your critique of them is a little unfair really. I love the way they get stuck in and have a go even when they are awful at the jobs they still give it a go.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think That Woman is the best of the three. Very enthusiastic, and she can actually do all the stuff that she's talking about.
  • Options
    opal88opal88 Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    They aren't TV presenters they are historians so your critique of them is a little unfair really. I love the way they get stuck in and have a go even when they are awful at the jobs they still give it a go.

It is a bit unfair of me I know and I admire the concept of the programme but it's become a bit of a legend in our house as my son and I sat down last year to watch one of the Victorian Christmas episodes - bless him, he was only 12 and we sat through an hour that seemed to all about wet hay. He does remember the woman making butter though!
  • Options
    magnificentmagnificent Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the contrary I thought this was a top programme. I do luv the way ruth actually gets stuck in and explains things properly and thoroughly; nice to see a fine non-botoxed lady fronting a tv programme such as this

But the bonus has to be the two burly men who are very pleasing to the eye to watch....!
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can i ask why you watch it then? I feel the same about Eastenders/X Factor etc so I don't subject myself to them, and I certainly wouldn't be bothered posting in a thread about them.

I like the "Farm" programmes. It's fascinating to get an inkling of how people lived then, and I think the presenters do a good job.
  • Options
    GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, but feel free to carry on. Remember to use the hammer setting for extra ease of penetration.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glengavel wrote: »
    No, but feel free to carry on. Remember to use the hammer setting for extra ease of penetration.

Or to be more authentic a genuine Edwardian mining drill, as used in episode 5.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I LOVE this program and Edwardian Farm..I watch all the repeats too hehe
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love 'em too..........

But you do wonder if Ruth scrubs the floor for a couple of minutes while the camera's rolling, then a skivvy comes in to finish it off............

And the boys learning to plough..........well, they've been doing it for 5 years now, yet they still seem to go through this 'we've got to learn how to plough' every series.........

I'd like 'em to do something really different like Stone Age next.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    me too brill program's .. tales from green valley, victorian & edwardian farm also the victorian pharmacy..

i think ruth is great .. also her daughter too .. :D

i agree there should be some programs.

I also loved watching coal house ..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I love 'em too..........

But you do wonder if Ruth scrubs the floor for a couple of minutes while the camera's rolling, then a skivvy comes in to finish it off............

And the boys learning to plough..........well, they've been doing it for 5 years now, yet they still seem to go through this 'we've got to learn how to plough' every series.........

I bet that's true, and I bet after doing a couple of furrows for the camera, they get a tractor to plough the rest of the field! Still, even if they do, I can't see why not.
  • Options
    slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I love 'em too..........

Oooh yes

stone Age or Viking settlers

I like the lads
    I like Peter aka Fonz the best he seems to love the animals and always gets the muckiest jobs