Emmerdale: The Destruction of Ross Barton

Comments

• AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kenzie70 wrote: »
    Or maybe they have that opinion as well. He is an awful character. I don't need to jump on anyone else opinion, I have that opinion all on my own thank you.

You're just upset because people don't agree with your opinion, so claiming they're jumping on a bandwagon makes you feel like your opinion is more valid.

Exactly.
  • star89star89 Posts: 24,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ross_W wrote: »
    There is bandwagoning. A handful of people had this opinion, and so all of the brainless morons on the forum (the Emmerdale lot are the dumbest) who don't know how to form a coherent opinion on a subject matter all jump on the opinion as if it's the be all and end all.

Please.

Well, that's me told :(

But hang on.. I like Ross and agree with your opinion (at the start of the thread) of him :confused::kitty:
  • GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is bandwagoning. A handful of people had this opinion, and so all of the brainless morons on the forum (the Emmerdale lot are the dumbest) who don't know how to form a coherent opinion on a subject matter all jump on the opinion as if it's the be all and end all.

Please.
    It's not a bandwagon. Some FMs don't like the character. I can't think of a single chatacter who is universally liked or disliked on this forum. Most FMs have good reasons for their opinions and calling people names just because they disagree with you is ridiculous.

For the record, I'm pretty intelligent. I think Ross has been too over exposed - he seems to feature in almost every episode; he's a whiner(my Daddy was cruel turned out to be 'Dad missed the school play' and has been really supportive and understanding; he almost killed someone for nothing more than a bit of jewellery; he messes up everything he touches; he takes sibling rivalry to ridiculous levels; the April stuff was really badly written and contrived in order to manipulate an 'aww' response from the audience because there was just no way a traumatised five year old would be drawn to a man she had only ever seen yelling at her recently dead mum, she'd be scared of him.

The long and the short of it is that it's been way too much too soon. Cain, Carl King, Robert - these were all characters who were allowed to develop relatively believably over years, and they did so as part of an ensemble. The past few years have felt more like the Ross, Debbie and Aaron show. Thank goodness for Ashley's recent story and Cain becoming Robert's enemy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorrento wrote: »
    I think the exact opposite ......how long can he keep on playing the bad guy it just gets repetitive and boring.....but we can now see the other side to him.. a softer caring mischievous side all of which we have had glimpse's of in the past and would be nice to see more of in the future..giving the character a lot more mileage..
    Here's hoping. I really think he needs a few months of just being a background character and maybe showing his nicer qualities (being polite to someone he's not having sex with would be a start - it doesn't have to be much, I'm not looking for friendliness, just the odd 'thank you.';-)
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The character of Ross has rapidly become one of the most high profile on ED; whether you love him or hate him- these threads show that
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did i blink and miss him sleeping with Charity?
    I think it was probably Charity that did the blinking and missing. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The character of Ross has rapidly become one of the most high profile on ED; whether you love him or hate him- these threads show that

Because he gets stuck in almost every scene, even if it's only skulking in the background.
  • LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another mother daughter triangle, well we havent had one for a couple of years since Charity was set to wed the bloke Debbie was engaged to. When exactly did Charity and Ross shag? I think the timeline is wrong.
    December 2013.

Charity must have the gestation period of an elephant.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LHolmes wrote: »
    December 2013.

Charity must have the gestation period of an elephant.
    From this I assume you neither watched the show, or read any of this thread. :kitty:
  • Mark_Washingto1Mark_Washingto1 Posts: 19,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    How can you possibly ruim character like that anyway, he's thug, has always been a thug and always will be a thug, no ifs no buts.

He's a thug with a softer side, a very 3 dimensional character, plus I generally like the bad characters anyway, but having him go after Debbie and be Charity's baby daddy number 3 is ruining a character who once showed so much potential be put in the middle of two of the worst stories on the show.

People are always going about how Blackburn ruined character x on Emmerdale and/or Corrie but to me this is the biggest character destruction I've seen so far on the British soaps and its the first time a story on Corrie or Emmerdale has pissed me off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kenzie70 wrote: »
    Or maybe they have that opinion as well. He is an awful character. I don't need to jump on anyone else opinion, I have that opinion all on my own thank you.

You're just upset because people don't agree with your opinion, so claiming they're jumping on a bandwagon makes you feel like your opinion is more valid.

I think there are more people here that don't like Ross than those that do. Not just in the Charity/Debbie storyline. Since he first appeared. Maybe that poster doesn't like being in the minority.
    Minorities are OK. I like Jai. :p
  • LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    From this I assume you neither watched the show, or read any of this thread. :kitty:
    It was a joke.

I hadn't seen the ep when I first commented here http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=78752253&postcount=5 but I have now and I caught the reference to them having it off when they were running the chop shop. There was absolutely no sign that anything had happened between Charity and Ross then, no ambiguous scene nothing, and the dates don't work out but I suppose Emmerdale is overlooking that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a joke.

I hadn't seen the ep when I first commented here http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=78752253&postcount=5There was absolutely no sign that anything had happened between Charity and Ross then, no ambiguous scene nothing, and the dates don't work out but I suppose Emmerdale is overlooking that.

Exactly, Charity wasn't even in the chop shop with Ross most of the time, if he got it on with anyone in the Chop Shop it would have been more plausible if it were Aaron. And lets not forget that during this time Charity realized she still had feelings for Cain so why would she have some random smash session with Ross?
  • Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    You lot are hilarious. Please stop the bandwagoning on the forum.

Ross is the definition of a complex character if ever there was one.

You like Ross, I don't, I'm entitled to that opinion no one could sway my opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly, Charity wasn't even in the chop shop with Ross most of the time, if he got it on with anyone in the Chop Shop it would have been more plausible if it were Aaron. And lets not forget that during this time Charity realized she still had feelings for Cain so why would she have some random smash session with Ross?
    I shouldn't, but you've kind of walked into it ....
    She's gone for
    SLOPPY SECONDS:D:D:D:D:p:p (insert evil cackle)

On a serious note though, I think there's been a kind of tick box approach to Ross as a character - it's like they've been in a hurry to establish him and used shortcuts to make him seem sympathetic without just involving him with other characters and stories and letting us make our own minds up.
  • kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a thug with a softer side, a very 3 dimensional character, plus I generally like the bad characters anyway, but having him go after Debbie and be Charity's baby daddy number 3 is ruining a character who once showed so much potential be put in the middle of two of the worst stories on the show.

People are always going about how Blackburn ruined character x on Emmerdale and/or Corrie but to me this is the biggest character destruction I've seen so far on the British soaps and its the first time a story on Corrie or Emmerdale has pissed me off.

Is this the same character that was whimpering on the floor at Loopy Lush Larel holding him hostage with a pair of scissors for car jacking her, believe me he was ruined from the second he appeared on screen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this the same character that was whimpering on the floor at Loopy Lush Larel holding him hostage with a pair of scissors for car jacking her, believe me he was ruined from the second he appeared on screen.

I guess its just different tastes, I found Ross interesting from day 1 but when they put him with Donna was when he became on of my favorites.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a joke.

I hadn't seen the ep when I first commented here http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=78752253&postcount=5 but I have now and I caught the reference to them having it off when they were running the chop shop. There was absolutely no sign that anything had happened between Charity and Ross then, no ambiguous scene nothing, and the dates don't work out but I suppose Emmerdale is overlooking that.
    Oh I agree, and frankly even the 18 month gestation period would have been slightly more acceptable to me than what we actually got, ie an unseen, never mentioned or hinted at quick shag, just a few short months after Charity went to god knows what lengths to terminate her previous pregnancy. Charity quite simply did NOT want a baby under any circumstances, hence she would have taken every conceivable precaution, (pardon the pun), to ensure it didn't happen. >:(
  • Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I agree, and frankly even the 18 month gestation period would have been slightly more acceptable to me than what we actually got, ie an unseen, never mentioned or hinted at quick shag, just a few short months after Charity went to god knows what lengths to terminate her previous pregnancy. Charity quite simply did NOT want a baby under any circumstances, hence she would have taken every conceivable precaution, (pardon the pun), to ensure it didn't happen. >:(
    Exactly! All the hurt she caused Declan and Megan because she didn't want a baby (understandable, but not the way she went about it!) and now she doesn't bother with protection?! It beggars belief. >:(

Luckily I blame atrocious writing and stupid ideas, and not The Fabulous Charity herself. >:(
  • kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Charity appeared to think being pregnant would help her get out of prsion early or something didn't she?
  • samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    star89 wrote: »
    My problem is it's a case of one too many. There has always been 'something' between Debbie and Ross so it made sense for him to turn to her in his grief. It's been a long time since Donna died now and Ross has only just started to 'make a play' for Debbie so it's believable that he now has feelings for her (because imo there was always 'something' between them) but to sleep with Charity? First it makes a mockery of his grief for Donna and secondly it stomps all over his 'feelings' for Debbie.

Thank you Star! :) Put way more succinctly than I ever could! :D

At least in this instance Ross is a character created by Kate Oates.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    samcains90 wrote: »
    At least in this instance Ross is a character created by Kate Oates.

This is what makes it worse, why is he destroying the best character that she created? In all my years of watching soaps I don't think I've seen a writer/producer destroy a character that was their own creation.
  • samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what makes it worse, why is he destroying the best character that she created? In all my years of watching soaps I don't think I've seen a writer/producer destroy a character that was their own creation.

I don't think he's ruined, I'll be honest, but if things carry on I don't think there will be much left of him.

I don't think this story has hurt any of the characters but just the overall show in general. I don't understand why they made it a 'who's the daddy?' when they made it perfectly clear from the beginning that it was going to be Ross.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member

Please.

Never liked the character from the moment we first saw the greasy haired car jacker. Each to their own, it's not a band wagon I jumped on either. I have never understood what was so great about him. Personally I think Pete is the nicer of the two but many on here disagree, people dislike James but I actually quite like him. And as for being a brainless moron who can't form a coherent opinion on a subject, maybe you should look closer to home before throwing out insults.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charity appeared to think being pregnant would help her get out of prsion early or something didn't she?
    Then she's even more stupid than she is promiscuous. Even if she only found out she was pregnant after she was locked up, a quick word with any screw or prisoner would have opened her eyes to the existence of Mother & Baby Units. :kitty: