Options

Is the war about to kick off?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 499
Forum Member
I live in Hertfordshire, approx 25 miles north of London and today have seen 3 RAF Chinnok helicopters (The massive ones that look like bus's with 2 sets of propellers) fly over my house in the space of 3 hours.

Its very strange because I have never seen any Armed forces aircraft fly near my house expcept when Steven Spielberg was filming Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers about 5 miles from my house.

My dad who works at Luton Airport has also seen several Jet fighters landing today.

Strange.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're used to some military helicoptors flying over where we live as the RAF have a base nearby but we've recently seen planes flying in formation (as if to cover) the main plane. This was very noticeable on Sept 12th as no civillian /commercial planes were allowed to fly.
  • Options
    swellybroswellybro Posts: 2,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there has been an increase in the number of planes flying over harrogate recently. I live not far away from the controversial american base menwith hill, so i suspect that is the reason.
  • Options
    BryanBryan Posts: 5,059
    Forum Member
    I've noticed a lot of night flying in the cambridge area recently, i guess having mildenhall and lakenheath just down the road would explain this.
    I think it's safe to assume that all military bases are going to be in a heightened alert state, and would be having a lot of training and test flights to do, there is a war on ya know:D :(:confused:
  • Options
    GopherGopher Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Air strikes my arse.There arent going to be any in my opinion.The American gov have realised they got a little carried away when it came to their language in the days after the attacks and are feeling sorry they said anything i think.And anyway,all their stalling is doing **** all good for the terror "war".Bin Laden could be anywhere by now and the Americans will have realised that the camps are all empty.By the time they decide to attack Bin Laden could be on a plane with a one way ticket into the White House at 555 mph.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gopher, Bin Laden will be dealt with no doubt about it, but this is much more complicated than I first thought and the Americans can't just take countries out. Bin Laden I heard has associates in over 20 countries so this is going to be one hell of an operation and it isn't going to be solved overnight. Give the Americans time and I'm sure they will root out all these sick B*****ds in time.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is not just another war and go in for an all out attack. This has to be carefully planned. They are trying to find out as much information about Afganstan. Plus other countries are sharing their survillance with America. When the time is right they will attack and only when the time is right. Like one news reporter said it could be tomorrow , it could be next week or even a month down the line.

As for aircarfts I notice two harrier jets flying low at night at some speed at 2am when I was at work on Wednesday gone. At first I thought it was a goods train that had been derailed as there is a train line next to me also. The nearest base to me is Cattrick, but they do use Otterburn as there training ground.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know Im bumping an ancient thread. I was looking around the oldest posts after reading the shipman one.

Its interesting reading these views from back then. The Americans certianly didnt carefully plan what happened in Afganistan did they.
  • Options
    Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's so odd reading this now. I never realised the date until I was halfway down the page.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Tulip19 wrote: »
    It's so odd reading this now. I never realised the date until I was halfway down the page.

Same here! I was getting a little worried about who we were starting a war with!