Options

The World at War

The SnakesThe Snakes Posts: 8,940
Forum Member
I notice the BBC is showing this every weekday at 1pm. Why aren't there more high quality documentaries like this being made today, instead of dumbed-down, female orientated dross? It's hard to reconcile the ITV that made this with ITV as it is today.

Comments

• Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's currently being remastered in HD. Should be good.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/apr/12/world-at-war-fremantle
  • Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    It's odd scheduling, I suspect one episode won't be shown in that slot.

When BBC2 repeated The World at War during '94 - '95 it was on at 6 p.m
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jo2015 wrote: »

They showed it last year in the same time slot.

Also I saw it on Yesterday.
  • Options
    wintersnow1979wintersnow1979 Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Watched today, one of those seminal documentaries, everyone should try to see.

Does anyone remember an earlier series (possibly 1960's) on the Second World War, that was also critically acclaimed?
  • Options
    David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Snakes wrote: »
    I notice the BBC is showing this every weekday at 1pm. Why aren't there more high quality documentaries like this being made today, instead of dumbed-down, female orientated dross? It's hard to reconcile the ITV that made this with ITV as it is today.

The honest answer is that programmes of this quality take a huge amount of money to make and don't attract enough interest to justify the expense.
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Watched today, one of those seminal documentaries, everyone should try to see.

Does anyone remember an earlier series (possibly 1960's) on the Second World War, that was also critically acclaimed?

I think you mean "The Valiant Years", also a 26-parter, first shown in 1960-61.

Then there was "All Our Yesterdays" from 1961-1973 which was 'the news from 25 years ago', so 1936 -1948, so from Hitler annexing the Rhineland to the Berlin air blockade, presented by Brian Inglis - it was Pathé newsreel. ;)
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The honest answer is that programmes of this quality take a huge amount of money to make and don't attract enough interest to justify the expense.

Sadly the dumbing down of ITV would never see them attempt to make anything like this as it would be considered too elitist. However, in the seventies the World at War had huge audiences and must have recovered its costs many times over.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    The World at War is an absolutely compelling documentary and an excellent example of how to tackle a huge subject.

From the haunting titles and theme music to Laurence Olivier's narration, it is total quality.

Some of the doc makers on the Satellite channels should watch it and maybe they could improve their current pathetic offerings.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The World at War is an absolutely compelling documentary and an excellent example of how to tackle a huge subject.

From the haunting titles and theme music to Laurence Olivier's narration, it is total quality.

Some of the doc makers on the Satellite channels should watch it and maybe they could improve their current pathetic offerings.

Produced by Thames Television, who were like a commercial BBC in the seventies.
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,477
    Forum Member
    Flicking through the channels earlier and I heard that theme - sent shivers down my spine. It used to give me the creeps when I was younger and still does.

A timeless documentary - so authoritative and detailed. Surely the definitive account of the Second World War.
  • Options
    ilarilar Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    'dumbed down female orientated dross'? Examples please?
    I hope you aren't suggesting females don't watch or have an interest in 'proper' documentaries.
    Personally I despair of most documentaries these days, dumbed down, yes, but why add female orientated?
  • Options
    BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    ilar wrote: »
    I hope you aren't suggesting females don't watch or have an interest in 'proper' documentaries.
    Personally I despair of most documentaries these days, dumbed down, yes, but why add female orientated?

I was wondering this too.

Is the OP suggesting that women are too giddy and fluffy to watch programmes such as the World at War? Or are they suggesting that anything geared towards a female audience is inherently 'dumb' or simplistic?

Either way the comment is a tad sexist.

I will have to set Bettany Hughes onto him.
  • Options
    hotdiggity1hotdiggity1 Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    It's currently being remastered in HD. Should be good.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/apr/12/world-at-war-fremantle

Possibly the most pointless HD remastering ever.
    When the show was made all the film clips were old B&W usually 16mm and not very good quality .

IN a best case scenario they would access the original film elements used for the series and start from scratch but the chances of them even having the original elements is less than hopeless.

So we have what are basically programmes copied from 16mm footage with some more modern interview footage .

Either way , an HD master will be virtually impossible to tell apart from being in widescreen.

I believe Thames may be starting to have trouble flogging the series to networks who want material in widescreen so rather than simply crop it they are doing what they can but its basically a cynical marketing ploy to make the show saleable again.

The HD history channels have shown us just how "good" archive footage is in HD
  • Options
    The SnakesThe Snakes Posts: 8,940
    Forum Member
    ilar wrote: »
    Maybe I should have used a comma. "Dumbed down, female orientated dross".

I don't think most women have that much of an interest in documentaries unless some kind of "human interest" element is added, or celebrities are wheeled out.

Look at the difference between "World in Action" and "Tonight with Trevor Mcdonald".

ITV has been aiming itself squarely at the female audience ever since Greg Dyke took over in the late 80s. You can count on a couple of hands the number of non-sport male orientated programmes that have been commissioned since then.

I have no objection to some female orientated programming, but there should be an equal amount of male orientated programming too, particularly on the BBC which we all pay for.
  • Options
    johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    The Snakes wrote: »
    Maybe I should have used a comma. "Dumbed down, female orientated dross".

Er, you did use a comma in the first place. How does a comma make it more acceptable?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Yeah i saw it also..
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A real thought provoking series.

Olivier's narration was so well crafted for the subject matter.

Sad it cant be updated to include information still classified at the time of its making, but it would probably spoil the whole flow of the programme even without the problem of the narrator no longer being here.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also feel ITV1 is female orientated dross, rarely watch it. It seems to with Lorraine Kelly, This Morning and Loose Women feel like Heat, OK type magazines.
    Evenings seem to be like a tv version of The Sun.
    I guess for a lot of men I work with, even if they do not watch ITV they do watch the Champions League, FA Cup or England Football matches, but aside from that I get the feeling that a lot of my male colleagues only see ITV because the Mrs wants to watch X-Factor and it is a bargining chip to watch the football another night.
  • Options
    tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    The late sixties to mid seventies was a golden age for epic TV Documentary series, just of the top of my head there was

The World at War
    The Ascent of Man
    America: A Personal History of the United States (Alistair Cooke)
    Civilsation

Anyone remember anymore from this period?.
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jo2015 wrote: »

The final episoide-'The Reckoning' was shown after 11pm the last time the series was shown.
    I've seen most of the programmers over the years and it's a 'masterpiece' imo. It always gives me food for thought and reason to be grateful that it's not a period of time through which I lived.

I think the answer to the question about why nothing similar is undertaken today is quite simply:money, as is so often the case.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiger2000 wrote: »
    ...Anyone remember anymore from this period?.

Cosmos by Carl Sagan
    Life on Earth by David Attenborough.

From the '90s - "The peoples century"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    all those super sensitive thin skinned types getting upset about the phrase 'dumbed down female orientated dross' are totally missing the point.

it is a fact that ITV 1 predominantly aims its programmes at a certain type of female audience. no one is saying that means ALL women (well no one with half a brain anyway) but SOME women. in the same way football tends to be aimed at SOME men - but not ALL men.

we are quite capable of picking up the idea behind what was said without the thought police pouncing and declaring that this implies that women can't watch serious documentaries. yes - we know they can watch serious stuff - thanks for pointing it out.

and as for proof of a female agenda on ITV - well pick any days schedule on ITV

mornings - Jeremy Kyle/This Morning/Loose Women

afternoons - any number of cooking progs/makeover shows

evenings - soaps/human interest documentaries (my house fell down last week kind of thing) /reality progs.

about the only non sport crossover you might get will be some kind of 9pm drama such as the Bill, Lewis etc.

and before the thought police point out that men may watch some of the female programmes i mentioned too - yes - we know that - but there is no doubt they are primarily aimed at certain female viewers

truth is ITV 1 now has to compete with other stuff like the digital channels and the internet. so i doubt we will ever see the kind of prgramming ITV made in the 1970's again. as someone else said - the accountants and bean counters would only see small audiences rather than the long term value to them that a series like The World at War brings.

if you look at ITV4 it is full of quality stuff made in the 1960's 70' and 80's. from the ITC series to the Sweeney, and Minder.

with a few exceptions in 20 years time i cant see where ITV would get modern day progs to fill such a channel
  • Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    The BBC did broadcast 'The Cold War' in the late nineties and I think it was from the same producer. It was even narrated by Kenneth Branagh (wasn't he the 'heir' to Olivier?!).

But I always felt it was a poor man's 'World at War'.
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    An amazing documentary series. I have seen it twice once on the BBC during the mid 90s, and again on Yesterday.

Ironically made by ITV - and Thames Television at that! Oh why did we get Carlton inflicted upon us?
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stripedcat wrote: »
    An amazing documentary series. I have seen it twice once on the BBC during the mid 90s, and again on Yesterday.

Ironically made by ITV - and Thames Television at that! Oh why did we get Carlton inflicted upon us?

Death on the Rock and Mrs Thatchers anger at it. And because she was upset by one programme we lost Thames and ulitmately with that round of franchises it was the beginning of the end for ITV as we knew it