How do you know you have a Nail Varnish problem?

Comments

• My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm currently wearing Barry M - Cyan Blue. I've been wearing a lot of pinky colours lately, so decided to go for something a bit different.

I love everyone's nail art - I don't have the patience, skill or imagination to do any myself!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Opi Muppets Minis arrived today, squee. I don't know what to do first... I'm gonna try Wocka Wocka with Excuse Moi lightening bolts. Ambitious but I'm going for it.
  • zippykinszippykins Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    Tiggergirl wrote: »
    I've used the Boots magnetic polish. You do one coat as you would normally let it dry and then you use the magnet as you do the second coat doing it nail by nail.

Ta, I'll give that a go. I purposely only did one coat as they directed on the boots website as it thought there might be an issue with it working properly if it was thicker.
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I came to uni with 0 bottles of nail varnish. I now have 13 :) Only been here 2 months!
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I love that gold one Elanor!

This is a Revlon's Midnight Affair (blue) with Rimmel's Your Majesty (silver) tips and NYC Lights Camera Glitter over the top.
  • TiggergirlTiggergirl Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just aquired the bigger bottle of Excuse Moi had the mini from the Muppets set and just waiting on the Gold shatter arriving now (hopefully tomorrow). Had to exercise extreme willpower as QVC have had OPI on most of the day and had different offers on did manage to resist though (just).

Currently got a bit of a mix on my nails as had a few experiments going on I have a combination of I Only Date Werewolves from the Spookettes mini set and I think its Sweetheart from another mini set and have a purple crackle over the pale nails and have put a coat of Excuse Moi over the black and its actually turned out really nice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why did my parents not raise me to have willpower?

Went into superdrugs, just for a browse and found Barry M limited edition lilac foil. Of course I wasnt going to turn down something purple, especially nail varnish, but NO regrets. its so lovely. only took 1 coat, touch dry fairly quickly although not fully. I think I'm in love...
  • broonalebroonale Posts: 5,472
    Forum Member
    jane-hen12 wrote: »
    why did my parents not raise me to have willpower?

Went into superdrugs, just for a browse and found Barry M limited edition lilac foil. Of course I wasnt going to turn down something purple, especially nail varnish, but NO regrets. its so lovely. only took 1 coat, touch dry fairly quickly although not fully. I think I'm in love...

I went for a similar one today for work. I put it on over the top of the silver one I had on yesterday. Had to remove it earlier (nails need a treatment) and it was a sod to get off.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't worry Jane Hen, I bought the lilac foil yesterday too (plus a China Glaze Love Marilyn - omg that's gorgeous!) and two other Barry Ms.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll take it as an early birthday prezzie.. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tell myself it's better than spending money on expensive coffee or sandwiches every day, or cigarettes, or other stuff that people spend money on.

http://elanorsnails.blogspot.com/2011/11/china-glaze-love-marilyn.html - Look at my new one! Tell me that is a waste of money!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh my god thats amazing. its like you bottled tinsel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    I am soooo excited, I'm getting the Across the Universe nail varnish for Christmas. hip hip hooray!!

Elanor - been looking at your blog...gorgeous nail varnishes!! I want to try the whole taping thing...what do you use? would normal sellotape work? Thanks
  • pinkbellybuttonpinkbellybutton Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    okay so I went and gave in and bought glamour for the nails inc even though I'm saving for christmas. I decided against it before since I have a red and dark plum similar and I don't really like nude, but saw piccadilly circus and have nothing like it. Plus it's very pretty. A nice rich colour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zoboes wrote: »
    I am soooo excited, I'm getting the Across the Universe nail varnish for Christmas. hip hip hooray!!

Elanor - been looking at your blog...gorgeous nail varnishes!! I want to try the whole taping thing...what do you use? would normal sellotape work? Thanks

Ooh, nice! That reminds me that I haven't worn my AtU for ages, I must try it out again soon and stick it on the blog.

Normal sellotape absolutely works zoboes! You can buy fancy nail tape and nail tip guides and so on, but the only difference from selltape is that they're opaque and cost ten times the price. I cut all the bits of tape I need first and line them up on the edge of my coffee table, and stick them all to the back of my hand and unstick again. This takes a bit of the major stickiness off them. Then stick them down over the properly dried first colour, paint your new colour and peel them off straight away. And don't peel too quickly!
    Forum Member
    Thank you Elanor! I also commented on a couple of posts on your blog (my comments are under the name Zoe!)
    I'm going to give it a go with the sellotape next weekend I think, its the only time I can really sit down and go for it! Just need to decide on a pattern now....decisions decisions!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you Elanor! I also commented on a couple of posts on your blog (my comments are under the name Zoe!)
    I'm going to give it a go with the sellotape next weekend I think, its the only time I can really sit down and go for it! Just need to decide on a pattern now....decisions decisions!

I thought that must have been you! I'm quite excited, I seem to have acquired a few more followers, some of whom have proper nail blogs, and there were quite a few new comments over this weekend.
    Forum Member
    Silly question, but what is the coverage like when you use the tape and go over another colour? Im going to do a tester nail today and if it goes well, Ill carry on!!
    I think your nail blog is great, some of the colours you have are amazing! I love looking at it"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    has any one tried water marbling?

it looks so pretty - but is it hard to do?
  • pinkbellybuttonpinkbellybutton Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cake lover wrote: »
    has any one tried water marbling?

it looks so pretty - but is it hard to do?

I have tried it, twice...and I will again. It is a bit tricky, but there was a definite improvement between the first and second attempt...but you really really really do need a white base coat. Oh and make sure that the thing you've put the water in isn't too large, paper cup size is probably best, because anchoring to the sides makes it much easier.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I had a go at marbling, it didn't work too well. I'll have another go sometime though, love the effect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Silly question, but what is the coverage like when you use the tape and go over another colour? Im going to do a tester nail today and if it goes well, Ill carry on!!
    I think your nail blog is great, some of the colours you have are amazing! I love looking at it"

It very much depends on the colour. I have a couple of magazines that I use the back of for testing before I do my nails. Good luck!

I've tried water marbling twice, and will be very unlikely to try again. I found it very messy and the result was not good, and I don't have the patience or the energy.
    Forum Member
    I've tried the water marbling too. Problem here I think is that the polish has to be the right consistency and the water itself not too cold or too hot or it just won't work. I also wouldn't recommend anything with glitter for this technique.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh. I got the Nails Inc gold magnetic one, and it just doesn't work. It's horrible and gritty and lumpy, and there is zero effect from the magnet at all. I am seriously unimpressed, and it cost £13!
    Forum Member
    Had a terrible day with the polish. Nothing would stay on and probably ended up with more around the nails than on them. So I gave up eventually.