Options

Madonna Appreciation Thread (Part 8)

Comments

• Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be great if she did Glastonbury. She would get a lot of press and publicity for it.
    But I guess I've become more cynical about festivals than I used to be. I read an article about them, and a lot of the reasons that artists play them is purely because of money. Madonna doesn't need to do festivals because she makes plenty of money from her own tours.
    But for a lot of lesser known artists, they are big money. I didn't know this until I read an article about them, but a headliner can get 4 million for a festival performance and even relatively unknown bands way down on a bill can get 10,000 - 15,000. Pretty good for a set that's shorter than your regular concert.
    As I said it would be great, but I feel like she might have to compromise her artistic vision of how she wants her tours to be, since it would be shorter, harder to change costumes and set up effects and she would have to do more of better known hits. So I have mixed feelings about it really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah Madonna doesnt "need" to do it but....she will get a LOT of benefit from it...i mean all the headliners technically dont "need" to do it....but its a massive bosst...

As for setlist i think if it is during her world tour she may do similar to what she did in Paris...only make it a 75 min set....rework some costumes, and work with the stage/space have it as a taster of the tour/album and make it something unique for the galsto experience...will be great if she did it...but yeah she doesnt NEED to do it...but if she can do Superbowl effortlessly...glasto is naturally the next hting.
  • Options
    Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    I actually don't think Madonna should do it...not currently anyhow. She has nothing to prove on a live tour circuit and she has done very high profile live performances such as live aid, live 8; live earth, radio 1 big weekend etc
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    It would be great if she did Glastonbury. She would get a lot of press and publicity for it.
    But I guess I've become more cynical about festivals than I used to be. I read an article about them, and a lot of the reasons that artists play them is purely because of money. Madonna doesn't need to do festivals because she makes plenty of money from her own tours.
    But for a lot of lesser known artists, they are big money. I didn't know this until I read an article about them, but a headliner can get 4 million for a festival performance and even relatively unknown bands way down on a bill can get 10,000 - 15,000. Pretty good for a set that's shorter than your regular concert.
    As I said it would be great, but I feel like she might have to compromise her artistic vision of how she wants her tours to be, since it would be shorter, harder to change costumes and set up effects and she would have to do more of better known hits. So I have mixed feelings about it really.

festivals don't normally pay big money to acts, certainly not glastonbury and michael eavis has spoke about this a few times before. there are so many bands and stages and costs that splitting the money up means the headline acts usually get considerably less than they would normally get for a show. however those bands play the big festivals for promotional reasons mainly, it gets them to new audiences, not just in person at the festival but the tv, radio, and media coverage. it's a bit like all the charidee gigs that were on tv with the same people like phil collins and dire straights playing all the time and their record sales would shoot up the charts the following week. most of the acts are in the midst of current tours to promote new albums and on the lookout for exposure. i don't think madonna would gain many new fans by playing a festival. if you aren't aware of madonna and her music you aren't likely to be going to or watching a festival on telly. but if she put out another hits set she could sell a pile more by doing a hits show at glasto

the 4 million you mention was paid to prince to help save ticket sales for coachella in 2009. he wasn't part of the original line up, which actually was a great line up musically but sales were poor as the headline acts weren't enough to sell tickets, so he was drafted in at last minute and paid the heft fee which is unheard of for that type of event, however this wasn't just to make a profit from sales for that year, but to avoid the festival being labelled a flop and suffer poor sales in subsequent years which could have meant an end to the festival

but madonna would be an ideal headline act for glastonbury if he did a hits set. the thing is most of her fans would be put of attending that type of show. i wouldn't go to glastonbury to see any specific act even if i was given a free ticket. but you can watch it on telly and get a good view and good sound at home without having to stand in a pool of mud
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    festivals don't normally pay big money to acts, certainly not glastonbury and michael eavis has spoke about this a few times before. there are so many bands and stages and costs that splitting the money up means the headline acts usually get considerably less than they would normally get for a show. however those bands play the big festivals for promotional reasons mainly, it gets them to new audiences, not just in person at the festival but the tv, radio, and media coverage. it's a bit like all the charidee gigs that were on tv with the same people like phil collins and dire straights playing all the time and their record sales would shoot up the charts the following week. most of the acts are in the midst of current tours to promote new albums and on the lookout for exposure. i don't think madonna would gain many new fans by playing a festival. if you aren't aware of madonna and her music you aren't likely to be going to or watching a festival on telly. but if she put out another hits set she could sell a pile more by doing a hits show at glasto

the 4 million you mention was paid to prince to help save ticket sales for coachella in 2009. he wasn't part of the original line up, which actually was a great line up musically but sales were poor as the headline acts weren't enough to sell tickets, so he was drafted in at last minute and paid the heft fee which is unheard of for that type of event, however this wasn't just to make a profit from sales for that year, but to avoid the festival being labelled a flop and suffer poor sales in subsequent years which could have meant an end to the festival

but madonna would be an ideal headline act for glastonbury if he did a hits set. the thing is most of her fans would be put of attending that type of show. i wouldn't go to glastonbury to see any specific act even if i was given a free ticket. but you can watch it on telly and get a good view and good sound at home without having to stand in a pool of mud

The numbers I cited in my post came from an article I read in Rolling Stone. They didn't attribute the 4 million to Prince or any one artist, but they said a headliner in general. This was the US Rolling Stone so maybe they are talking about US festivals and what they pay which is perhaps different from Glastonbury. I was a little surprised because I always thought that artists got less for playing at festivals than they do at their regular concerts and they did it more for publicity and press attention like you are saying. But that's what Rolling Stone said. I always thought they were a pretty reliable source when it came to the music industry but I guess that could be wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you kidding...Madonna would so engage with new fans in a festival setting...it helped COnfessions Stateside with the evident "radio ban" since American Life! It ensured the album went on to sell as it did with the new material heavy music and the media coverage...and she didnt even headline Coachella, it was in the Dance tent! now imagine if she headliend..that would have been INSANE!

Now galsto....if we think new album will be here Oct/November this year....then next summer we will have some new songs/new material...the album will have been promoted on chat shows/radio stints/tv circulation/live events/awards shows etc and whatever other way....so by then core audience and general audience will have the album...BUT some rockers/punters at rock festivals like glasto i think will benefit Madonna massively! It all helps.

I have NO iea why people think if she "just did hits" she will sell...granted she has a LOAD of hits but she can definitely effectively utilise new album material for people too...it worked for the Dornwed World era, it worked for the Confessions era :-) she can do it again definitely. And effectively.

But who knows she may not headline yet but just imagine when she does, the perfect balance of big hits, lesser known hits and some new material for the crowds...very cool!

Been a while since we have had new music news.....also saying that...Diplo, Avicii, Disclosure beats on Madonna album performed at a sumemr festival...it is MEANT to happen!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching DIsclosures set gosh paints such a beautiful vibe of being there...summer concerts in a field man oh man how I would adore it if Madonna did work with these guys even if only a couple of songs and not just remixes or whatever....it would be so beautiful and echo to Confessions era....creative art dance.

An Haim too....with Ariel having co-produced their work and seeing them live...gosh how it odes to Old Skool M vibes....really think she can mesh those sounds too (and of coruse Sky, CHarli XCX, Vampire Weekend)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Can't wait till we get some definite details about her upcoming album. I think it is pretty obvious that she will be going on tour next year. And with that in mind, what old song do you guys want to hear Madonna perform the most on her next tour?

The top 5 songs I would love to hear on the Set-list of her next world tour are:

1. Sorry
    2. Material Girl
    3. Crazy For You
    4. Who's That Girl
    5. The Power Of Goodbye
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait till we get some definite details about her upcoming album. I think it is pretty obvious that she will be going on tour next year. And with that in mind, what old song do you guys want to hear Madonna perform the most on her next tour?

The top 5 songs I would love to hear on the Set-list of her next world tour are:

1. Sorry
    2. Material Girl
    3. Crazy For You
    4. Who's That Girl
    5. The Power Of Goodbye

Great question! I like most of your choices except for Material Girl and Crazy for You. For some reason, I never liked either of them too much. But here are my top 5.

1. Live To Tell
    2. Hollywood
    3. Bad Girl
    4. Don't Tell Me
    5. Keep it Together.

As you can see, I'm kind of a fan starting from LAP going forward. Not so big on the older 80's stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you kidding...Madonna would so engage with new fans in a festival setting...it helped COnfessions Stateside with the evident "radio ban" since American Life! It ensured the album went on to sell as it did with the new material heavy music and the media coverage...and she didnt even headline Coachella, it was in the Dance tent! now imagine if she headliend..that would have been INSANE!

Now galsto....if we think new album will be here Oct/November this year....then next summer we will have some new songs/new material...the album will have been promoted on chat shows/radio stints/tv circulation/live events/awards shows etc and whatever other way....so by then core audience and general audience will have the album...BUT some rockers/punters at rock festivals like glasto i think will benefit Madonna massively! It all helps.

I have NO iea why people think if she "just did hits" she will sell...granted she has a LOAD of hits but she can definitely effectively utilise new album material for people too...it worked for the Dornwed World era, it worked for the Confessions era :-) she can do it again definitely. And effectively.

But who knows she may not headline yet but just imagine when she does, the perfect balance of big hits, lesser known hits and some new material for the crowds...very cool!

Been a while since we have had new music news.....also saying that...Diplo, Avicii, Disclosure beats on Madonna album performed at a sumemr festival...it is MEANT to happen!

no, not kidding. madonna is so well known that people going to a big popular music festival like glastonbury will already know her so she's not going to be seen by many people who aren't aware of her music. it's a bit like coke and pepsi. how many people haven't heard of either of them that are going to suddenly come across it and become a fan

an appearance would help her shift some records, just like any other artist

btw glasto isn't a rock festival. it has all sorts of music, it has dance tents for example. it has one of the widest varieties of music being played. remember jay z and beyonce and kylie have played glastonbury, as well as u2 and coldplay and radiohead, and even people like stevie wonder and dolly parton. there are rock festivals like download and sonisphere where she wouldn't fit in, but pretty much any artist could play glastonbury and madonna would go down well with a hits set. if she was to play new material, unless it was new hit singles it wouldn't go down half as well as playing the hits. remember most of the audience are there for the festival as opposed to any specific artist so you aren't playing to a bunch of your fans. you need to tailor your setlist accordingly

it doesn't sound like she's lined up for next year anyways. they usually have a break every few years to let the ground recover so that may be the following year out the window too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    no, not kidding. madonna is so well known that people going to a big popular music festival like glastonbury will already know her so she's not going to be seen by many people who aren't aware of her music. it's a bit like coke and pepsi. how many people haven't heard of either of them that are going to suddenly come across it and become a fan

an appearance would help her shift some records, just like any other artist

btw glasto isn't a rock festival. it has all sorts of music, it has dance tents for example. it has one of the widest varieties of music being played. remember jay z and beyonce and kylie have played glastonbury, as well as u2 and coldplay and radiohead, and even people like stevie wonder and dolly parton. there are rock festivals like download and sonisphere where she wouldn't fit in, but pretty much any artist could play glastonbury and madonna would go down well with a hits set. if she was to play new material, unless it was new hit singles it wouldn't go down half as well as playing the hits. remember most of the audience are there for the festival as opposed to any specific artist so you aren't playing to a bunch of your fans. you need to tailor your setlist accordingly

it doesn't sound like she's lined up for next year anyways. they usually have a break every few years to let the ground recover so that may be the following year out the window too

I don't follow festivals that closely, but don't most artists play basically a shortened version of their regular touring setlist? I don't think that most artists do an all hits show unless that's how they normally tour. I've seen videos of various artists at festivals and they're not playing just their biggest hits, they are also playing the new material that they generally play at their shows. I don't see how you can interest people in your new record if you don't actually play some songs from it, so people can hear if they like it or not. I don't think most artists have the time to rehearse a setlist that is totally different from the one they usually do at their tours just for festivals.

Of course, everyone knows Madonna and her music, but a lot of people haven't seen her actually perform on one of her tours. It's not just hearing her music, but seeing what a great performer she is. So I think people who have never been to one of her tours could see what a great amazing performer she actually is for themselves. This has actually happened to me with other artists. There are artists that I of course have heard their music but never heard them live. But then a friend or someone takes me to their live show and sometimes I'm blown away by what a great performer they are and am converted to being a fan. Unfortunately, it can also work the other way. There are certain performers whose music I'm a huge fan of, but then I see them live and they are horrible performers and I just go right off them. I don't see that happening though with Madonna because she's the ultimate live stage performer.

I also think people don't just go to a festival for the sake of going to a festival or because it's Glastonbury. I would think the first thing people to do in deciding on whether to go to a festival or not is to look at the list of performers and see if they are a good number of performers they actually like. I wouldn't go to a festival where there's no one I like or just a very few performers I like.

From what I heard about Madonna's new album it's coming out either late this year or early next year, so I don't see her waiting past the summer of 2015 to tour. She has a contract with Live Nation to tour so she's not going to wait that long I don't think. She owes them several tours so she's not going to wait forever because she is getting older and she still wants to get tours in while she can still do the type of shows with dancing that she loves to do. Also, if she releases an album in 2014/2015, it wouldn't make sense to wait too long after that to tour because then playing the stuff from the new album would be sort of stale.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    her contract with Live Nation ends in 2018 doesnt it? she signed a decade deal in 2007 didnt she? which i presumed was also three tours which i think makes sense.

Which she may indeed renew....but i think with the now open teaser from Diplo...the album is in the final stages "we wrote and insane song called "Bitch, Im Madonna"" so erm...yeah...also i think she owes Australian fans a view...that will help boost her stats there too as recent album sales there have gotten gold certificate but not more...when she performed with Erotica that had MAHOOSIVE stats! and the Like a Prayer Remixes and respective album did too with its release there.

So yeah peope world over KNOW Madonna but it is always how she gets her music out there.

I am not a massive Dolly fan but i KNOW Dolly...and look her album is going to get quite the boost from the media circulation...now imagine Madonna and HEADLINER! it would be insane when she does.

anyway glad that we had another teaser..sounds like Diplo has pushed Madonna to the max with their work on 7 songs :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't follow festivals that closely, but don't most artists play basically a shortened version of their regular touring setlist? I don't think that most artists do an all hits show unless that's how they normally tour. I've seen videos of various artists at festivals and they're not playing just their biggest hits, they are also playing the new material that they generally play at their shows. I don't see how you can interest people in your new record if you don't actually play some songs from it, so people can hear if they like it or not. I don't think most artists have the time to rehearse a setlist that is totally different from the one they usually do at their tours just for festivals.

i've not really analyised it but newer bands have less of a catalogue so less able to amend their set, whereas a band thats been going for years with a big catalogue will be able to change things up a bit. however in both cases if they are doing a shorter set it's just a case of dropping the newer/lesser known material in favour of the hits. so take madonnas last tour as an example, whittle it down so the least known stuff is removed and keep all the hits, and you have a more accessible set. you can also work on it further and rehearse a few more hits to replace other less known tracks, or do a cover or two as bands often do at glastonbury. so you don't need to create a whole new setlist from scratch, just work on what you've got

Of course, everyone knows Madonna and her music, but a lot of people haven't seen her actually perform on one of her tours. It's not just hearing her music, but seeing what a great performer she is. So I think people who have never been to one of her tours could see what a great amazing performer she actually is for themselves. This has actually happened to me with other artists. There are artists that I of course have heard their music but never heard them live. But then a friend or someone takes me to their live show and sometimes I'm blown away by what a great performer they are and am converted to being a fan. Unfortunately, it can also work the other way. There are certain performers whose music I'm a huge fan of, but then I see them live and they are horrible performers and I just go right off them. I don't see that happening though with Madonna because she's the ultimate live stage performer.

well i think this is where getting the setlist right comes in. if you see a band doing their best material, the stuff you know and like you will usually enjoy them more, especially if seeing them for the first time. so if madonna is playing to punters for the very first time and they aren't there specifically to see madonna, but just for glasto in general, she's more likely to win people over by showing off her catalogue of hits than playing a bunch of new stuff they don't know, and not playing the songs they may have been looking forward to hearing. it can be dissapointing seeing a band live if they don't play the songs you really like. prince for example tailors his set according to the venue and expected crowd, so will do most hits when it's a big venue as he knows a lot of people won't have seen him before and will be expecting the hits, or if it's a small gig like a club show or aftershow he will play more obscure material as he's aware it will be his biggest fans and people will love anything being played. other bands do similar things, like fanclub gigs where they play b sides in small venues, and when playing festivals and stadiums they play crowd friendly tracks. it's the sign of a good live performer if they tailor the set to fit the venue, and amend the set on the fly depending on crowd reaction

I also think people don't just go to a festival for the sake of going to a festival or because it's Glastonbury. I would think the first thing people to do in deciding on whether to go to a festival or not is to look at the list of performers and see if they are a good number of performers they actually like. I wouldn't go to a festival where there's no one I like or just a very few performers I like.

glastonbury sells out before anyone knows any of the acts that are playing. i'm not sure about every festival, but many festivals sell a lot of tickets before the complete line up is announced. T in the park sell a bunch of early tickets the week after each years festival ends. some people will go for specific acts, but others will just go as they know they are bound to like some of it. a bit like buying a NOW compilation cd, you like some you dislike others

From what I heard about Madonna's new album it's coming out either late this year or early next year, so I don't see her waiting past the summer of 2015 to tour. She has a contract with Live Nation to tour so she's not going to wait that long I don't think. She owes them several tours so she's not going to wait forever because she is getting older and she still wants to get tours in while she can still do the type of shows with dancing that she loves to do. Also, if she releases an album in 2014/2015, it wouldn't make sense to wait too long after that to tour because then playing the stuff from the new album would be sort of stale.

that's all pretty vague. you can't really tell what will happen a year from now. some people can record an album in a day, others can take over a decade. some can rehearse and get tour ready in a few days, others take months. if she wanted to play glasto she could make it happen
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    omg. she's teasing new music again and those strings.:o its difficult to ascertain where she's heading musically with the producers confirmed, but i am liking the "coming soon" promise.:D
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wow! so exciting :D I think we are heading for a cross between Music and Confessions. Its certainly intriguing trying to imagine the sound with so many different producer styles.
  • Options
    Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    no I think we are heading for 'american life' meets 'hard candy' / 'mdna' era ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's an interview with Diplo where he talks about working with Madonna.

http://www.idolator.com/7525216/diplo-major-lazer-madonna-gwen-stefani-interview?mobile_redirect=false

I'm not really sure what to expect from this album and what previous albums it will sound like. So it will be very interesting when it comes out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon it will be such a fusion of previous albums BUT (importantly again) its own identity.

I reckon it will have a pure energy/diversity like MDNA/Music, influenced by Classical like LAP/True Blue, incorporate tight concepts/themes acros an entire album Erotica/ROL/AL....it will fuse organic instrumentals and electronics like...well the majority of her albums...but the inclusion of strings is beautiful...adored that with Love Spent and Beautiful Killer on MDNA.

so yeah MESSIAH, sounds so strong...my thoughts of August may happen if it is "soon" makes me think video filming must be happening this month...hmmm we shall see.
  • Options
    RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You may completely disagree with this, but I reckon Gecko (Overdrive) - Oliver Heldens (ft. Becky Hill) would of suited Madonna after watching the video, if she played the mother role (with her real children in the vid) and sang.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Overdrive (speaking of which Becky has done well post-The Voice UK...only watched THAt series incase M performed ironically lol).....

It is funny really...Madonna hardly really uses her "maternal/mother" self in her music....Substitute For Love she did (at the final moment) Luvvin she did (for the first few seconds/the fake baby scenes etc) and Lola in the Celebration video.I guess it is an area she tries to close off from her music world....

Though that side of her will/may come forth for this album with her posts of her kids recently which i have enjoyed seeing...lovely family.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Overdrive (speaking of which Becky has done well post-The Voice UK...only watched THAt series incase M performed ironically lol).....

It is funny really...Madonna hardly really uses her "maternal/mother" self in her music....Substitute For Love she did (at the final moment) Luvvin she did (for the first few seconds/the fake baby scenes etc) and Lola in the Celebration video.I guess it is an area she tries to close off from her music world....

Though that side of her will/may come forth for this album with her posts of her kids recently which i have enjoyed seeing...lovely family.

I'm not sure why exactly but I'm not a huge fan of artists incorporating their children into their songs or videos. I always cringe when artists do that. Tori Amos has a duet with her daughter on her recent album and to me it's sort of unappealing. Maybe it's because it feels like the kids are just there because they're related to the artist not because they are adding something artistically. Or maybe I like songs and videos that are fantasy and not so much the performer's everyday life? But I think she smart to keep her mother and kids side out of her music for the most part.
    But I do like seeing her kids on instagram.
  • Options
    RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure why exactly but I'm not a huge fan of artists incorporating their children into their songs or videos. I always cringe when artists do that. Tori Amos has a duet with her daughter on her recent album and to me it's sort of unappealing. Maybe it's because it feels like the kids are just there because they're related to the artist not because they are adding something artistically. Or maybe I like songs and videos that are fantasy and not so much the performer's everyday life? But I think she smart to keep her mother and kids side out of her music for the most part.
    But I do like seeing her kids on instagram.

I only meant have her real children featured in the videos, not actually singing as well. I meant Madonna singing, not her kids.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know people said Superstar was a duet with Lourdes? I really fail to hear her at all on that song! And surely she would have been credited?

Yeah its weird Britney duetted with her sister on her Britney Jean album song "Chillin With U" and i got that same saccharine kindavibe, its a goo song but very kinda yeah...we are sisters vibe :-D and Beyonce recently having Blue on the sonv Blue? like whaaaa...trademarking and what not.

but i do love the odd moment M does...in 4 decades a handful is fine ;-) .....but yeah i adore her Instagram posts.

I love her recent posts with MJ, i mean two across three days already? like she is confirming her status as Official Queen etc for the first time in her career.....part of me thinks Interscope are crediting that fact (MDNA "theres only one queen...") so launching from that maybe? and looking at ACTUAL music royalty she had as her peers and contemporaries across the 80s 90s and 00s :-)

Just feels like she is going all out.

Also Disclosure are so teasing today...we arent working with her but we may be working with her, we havent but we will, we will but we wont? etc like aaaaah cryptics! :P
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently, her posting pictures of MJ is controversial. Some people are saying it's bad because they weren't really close friends.
    I don't think she is implying they were best mates, but that she just admires his work.
    I have to say I'm not the biggest MJ fan. I like a few songs mostly from Off the Wall and Thriller, but I don't think all his work is that consistent. He kind of repeated himself a lot. Plus, some of the stuff that went on his personal life makes me uncomfortable especially in relation to young kids. But I respect that she admires him. I guess, especially his dancing and ability to put on a great stage show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some fans on another forum are suggesting that Madonna should work with Nile Rodgers, Patrick Leonard and Stephen Bray and try to recreate her 80's sound. Maybe I'm in the minority but that is really not that appealing to me. I love that she keeps moving forward. People say she is "desperate" but I think getting all your old producers together and trying for an 80's sound when you had your biggest hits would actually be desperate.
    As far as the 80's nostalgia thing to me it works best when younger artists who weren't really around in the 80's take the sound and make it their own. For older artists who were around and did the 80's thing in the first place to recreate their 80's sound seems a little tacky to me. But I guess most fans would love it. I guess I have different tastes than most fans. What do you all think?