Options

The Emancipation of Mimi

VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
Forum Member
She got it SO right with this album - why has it been so hard to follow it up with another solid collection of songs?
There have been great moments since Mimi but mostly tuneless urban filler.

H.A.T.E.U
Migrate
Candy Bling
Betcha Gon' Know
More Than Just Friends
Languishing

Comments

• Options
    Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was having problems with consistency way before 2005 though. Don't forget she followed butterfly with rainbow and glitter.
  • Options
    SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    Faveourte Mariah Album,
    - Get your number
    -shake it off
    - we belong together
    - circles
    - Say Something
    - it's like that
    - Joy Ride

are my favourite songs
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    She was having problems with consistency way before 2005 though. Don't forget she followed butterfly with rainbow and glitter.

Rainbow and Charmbracelet are patchy, but I ADORE Glitter - love that 80's groove vibe
  • Options
    wef0undl0vewef0undl0ve Posts: 6,460
    Forum Member
    Favorite Mariah album by far, we belong together and it's like that were amazing <3
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We belong together and Migrate are my fav songs on this album
  • Options
    LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We belong together and Migrate are my fav songs on this album

Migrate is from E=MC2.

But yeah, it's a solid album. Her best since Butterfly, and tbh her last decent album. As much as I love Memoirs, it's majorly R&B filler. She tries to pass it off as adult contemporary, but Daydream was far more adult contemporary than Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her best and most consistent since Butterfly she really nailed it. I remember it being huge and saving her career she appeared on Live 8 had huge single and album sales and collected her most Grammy's since 1991 and well deserved too the promo was great she was marketed well and introduced herelf to a new generation of fan myself included. Still gutted WBT was scuppered by less than 1,000 copies was well deserevd and would have been her firt original #1 in the UK. After that her material suffered the handling was poor and she went back to her pre 05 days of diminishing returns.
  • Options
    spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good album but I must prefer E=MC2. Such an underrated album, in my opinion. Not so keen on Memoirs. I hope her new album is great. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The singles + Mine Again.

We Belong Together, Fly Like A Bird...AMAZING.

The original.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    Migrate is from E=MC2.

But yeah, it's a solid album. Her best since Butterfly, and tbh her last decent album. As much as I love Memoirs, it's majorly R&B filler. She tries to pass it off as adult contemporary, but Daydream was far more adult contemporary than Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel.

I thought so when I was typing it, should have done my research :p

But I do love that song :D
  • Options
    MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaceygal wrote: »
    Good album but I must prefer E=MC2. Such an underrated album, in my opinion. Not so keen on Memoirs. I hope her new album is great. :)

I agree.
    IMO, E=MC2 is by far her best album.

Migrate
    Side Effects
    Touch my Body
    Heat

Four of the best songs she has ever written IMO, especially 'Side Effects'.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a great album, but I actually prefer Memoirs and a few albums tracks from E=MC2, especially Side effects

Although Mariah's albums never normally do it for me. The only one album where she has ever really excelled is Music Box which is one of my all time fav albums and actually one of her best selling.
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Mariah. Could she ever make another Butterfly? It's a slick album with some of my all time favourite songs. Her vocals are amazing too. Btw, I love Glitter. Love the 80's feel. Emancipation was a great piece of work. That era seemed to go on forever!
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member
    Loved all of the singles and Fly Like A Bird which is one of her best tracks, her vocals are just WOW.. It's a shame she hasn't topped TEOM yet but she proved in 2005 she can come back big, maybe she can do it with the new album
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a great album, but I actually prefer Memoirs and a few albums tracks from E=MC2, especially Side effects

Although Mariah's albums never normally do it for me. The only one album where she has ever really excelled is Music Box which is one of my all time fav albums and actually one of her best selling.

I like Music Box But Daydream, Butterfly and Mimi top it for me. and surprised you like Memoirs i thought it was awful one of the worst thing i have ever bought i can bearly get half way through i was so dissapointed with it :o
  • Options
    _BollyKnickers__BollyKnickers_ Posts: 4,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love, love, live TEOM, but E=MC2 is my favourite :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    :) Mariah Carey is one of my favorite Singers. I really love all her albums. Mariah's best albums Emotions, Musicbox, Daydream, Butterfly and The Emancipation of Mimi was very popular. Mariah made a great comeback with The Emancipation of Mimi and I Loved this album It's Like That, Get Your Number, I wish You Knew, Say Something, Shake It Off, Mine Again, Circles, Fly like a bird and Don't Forget About Us are my favorite tracks. I adore them all
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    I love Mariah! Cannot wait for this album. Don't get the hate for Memoirs?

It's A Wrap
    Betcha Gon' Know
    More Than Just Friends
    Angels Cry
    H.A.T.E.U
    Candy Bling

With Rainbow, although it isn't as strong as some of her albums it defintley grown on me - love the interludes and how they tie the album together! Though the follow ups from Mimi haven't been so successful, Mariah's problem is her promo, I think. "Bye Bye" could have been a huge worldwide success I think, but there was no promo. Same with "I'll Be Lovin' U Long Time". "Almost Home" is a beast of a song, love the vocals! Hope Mariah's next single / album goes back to the Butterfly days. I'd do anything for another "Fantasy / Honey" mash up type of a single. Would love her to sample "Juicy Fruit" or something. Real old school R&B. Sorry to ramble, just am so passionate about her and love her talent. This girl - reminds me of Mimi back in the day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sV0S8qWSy0
  • Options
    Imperfect AngelImperfect Angel Posts: 3,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love this album! It's one of her best. A great mixture of different tempo including amazing ballads.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    Anyone saw the teaser for Beautiful yet?
    Eeeek!!!
    The Anticipation of Mimi
    :)
  • Options
    LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting really good vibes from the teaser, I hope it lives up to the hype. And I love her entire look this era, she looks younger than she did 5 years ago. It's like she's channeling Butterfly and Emancipation of Mimi at the same time! I'm so hyped for what she comes out with. The way I see it, I don't think Mariah has one bad album. The whole Glitter fiasco was mainly because of the film, the album actually has some of her best work on it (Lead the Way, Never Too Far), and Loverboy would have been a hit had her then ex-husband not stolen the sample. Of course I'm a fan so I'm biased, but that also means I'll probably like whatever it is she throws at me. The new era does indeed begin!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I won't lie and say Mariah is my favorite artist ever, she is one of the few artists I listen too that isn't pure pop. Her vocals are amazing. Emancipation of Mimi is a great album and had some fantastic songs. I hope she can have another era that's just as successful with her new album. The charts need a proper 'diva' on top again.