Options

Alcohol as Dangerous as Smoking?

13»

Comments

• Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the fact that alcohol consumption causes just as much of the worlds diseases as smoking is a cause for concern. It can't be dismissed just because your so anti-smoking.

Yes, it probably means excessive drinking, but if you think about how many excessive alcohol drinkers there are compared to smokers / passive smokers in the world and yet excessive alcohol drinking causes just as much diseases as smoking / passive smoking.

i'm not dismissing anything.

i'm just saying that the problem isn't "alcohol", its "alcohol abuse".

as such you can't just say "alcohol" is as bad as "smoking" - because it isn't.

Iain
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iain wrote:
    because that would really "prove" it one way or the other, right?

i don't know anyone who has died from lung cancer, but that hardly proves that smoking doesn't cause lung cancer.
    Read my previous post. I never said it proved anything.
    given that "smoke" causes lung cancer, its a pretty safe assertion that second hand smoke, whether or not it kills you, isn't exactly going to be good for you.
    ...because everything in our air is good for us.
    and besides, it stinks, and makes everything it comes into contact with stink too. which is enough of a reason in itself.
    Reason in itself for what exactly?
    anyway - back on topic...
    its not like they advise smokers to "only" smoke 5 a day, and not to binge smoke if at all possible, is it?
    I'm sure they do advise heavy smokers to cut down.