Why do you need a bangle to express your faith?

ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7529694.stm

I don't see why these kind of stories keep coming to court. Maybe it's time for a seperation of religion and State.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,588
    Forum Member
    She knew the school rules before she joined. If she does not like their rules go to another school...its as simple as that.

If I was here, I would be more worried about my weight..she looks a bit too big for a 14 year old.
  • UltrasonicUltrasonic Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here are a few reasons that leap to my mind:

1) So you can deliberately flount school rules.
    2) So you can get a load of time off school (under the banner of "moral protest")
    3) So you can get your name and face in the papers and on the telly.
    4) So that you can make money from said papers and telly.
    5) So that you can launch a stupid and expensive legal battle (which you don't have to pay for by the way)
    6) So that you can generally take the p*ss, have the last laugh and get stupid organisations like Liberty to help you to stamp out the formerly widely-used, but now increasingly rare principle of "Common Sense."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's absolutely shocking is what it is! Stupid girl knew the rules before she went to that school
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think anyone coming to live in Britain - should have to obey
    all laws! That farce about the bangle was just another of a
    large number now thinking they have the right to come here
    if they wish--they have the right to have an income for life--
    given by government-paid for by US who've paid our Taxes!
    They also want right to do as they wish & two fingers up at
    any law they don't accept. I think it should be stopped!
    I'm not rascist bit I do know we have a shortage of --
    Homes --- Schools--- Hospitals--- etc:
    and many other things.All the incoming people from any-
    ANY country abroad just add to the chaos & cost taxpayers lots
    of money--cost they can't find jobs--they're given homes,an
    income & health care all for free--I'm not a rascist - I am just
    an ordinary person-struggling to live without handouts from
    the government!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • cazkinscazkins Posts: 5,136
    Forum Member
    I think a bit of compromise wouldn't have gone amiss here. The bangle is obviously a very important part of the girls faith and is no more noticeable than a wristwatch, which are allowed to be worn to school.

I agree that there should be one rule for everyone but rules should be a little flexible in certain circumstances. I'm sure, if the bracelet had been a medi-aid one, the girl couldn't have been stopped from wearing it, but maybe I'm wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cazkins wrote: »
    I think a bit of compromise wouldn't have gone amiss here. The bangle is obviously a very important part of the girls faith and is no more noticeable than a wristwatch, which are allowed to be worn to school.

I agree that there should be one rule for everyone but rules should be a little flexible in certain circumstances. I'm sure, if the bracelet had been a medi-aid one, the girl couldn't have been stopped from wearing it, but maybe I'm wrong.

Thats cos wearing a medi-aid bangle is a life saving neccessity for some. Where as this bangle was just to stir trouble
  • ScaramoucheScaramouche Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For Sikhs wearing a bangle is a fundamental part of their belief and has been since the start of Sikhism. The girl hasn't arbitrarily decided to wear a bangle to upset the authorities; she's required to wear it by the rules of her religion. Her right to practice her religion is enshrined in law.

The Race Relations act say that It is unlawful to discriminate in employment or training on grounds of religion or belief including: to apply a criterion, provision or practice which disadvantages people of a particular religion or belief unless it can be objectively justified;

The court have decided that the school could not objectively justify their rule, therefore it's illegal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AmjidS wrote:
    If I was her, I would be more worried about my weight..she looks a bit too big for a 14 year old.

That was my immediate thought as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    I can't see the problem with the bangle, but are those earrings allowed to be worn in school?
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh bloody good for her. Religious significance aside why shouldn't she wear a bangle to school if she wants to, what harm does it do? There's hundreds of threads in this forum bemoaning the nanny state and when someone objects to a bit of petty bureaucracy people still moan.
  • Ja'mie KingJa'mie King Posts: 8,445
    Forum Member
    AmjidS wrote: »
    She knew the school rules before she joined. If she does not like their rules go to another school...its as simple as that.

If I was here, I would be more worried about my weight..she looks a bit too big for a 14 year old.

She's huuuuge:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ustarion wrote: »

I don't see why these kind of stories keep coming to court. Maybe it's time for a seperation of religion and State.

These stories come to court because the school in this case was breaking a law that is already in existence which means that people are allowed to wear certain objects that are necessary to their faith such as bangles, crucifixes, turbans etc. There was a case involving British Airways which wouldn't allow a Christian woman to wear her cross under her uniform and they lost that.

I agree that a lot of money and time could be saved by not bringing these cases to court but common sense has to apply on both sides for it to work. If it doesn't and you feel strongly about it, then you take it to the courts to sort out. That's what they're there for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's huuuuge:eek:

Channelling your alter ego there you mean thing. :D
  • Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    Isn't that Rebecca from Big Brother? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,893
    Forum Member
    Justbcos wrote: »
    income & health care all for free-
    -I'm not a rascist - I am just
    Where have I been going wrong? :cry::mad::cry::mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    PamelaL wrote: »
    Oh bloody good for her. Religious significance aside why shouldn't she wear a bangle to school if she wants to, what harm does it do? There's hundreds of threads in this forum bemoaning the nanny state and when someone objects to a bit of petty bureaucracy people still moan.

I agree. As long as it's tucked up out of sight what harm can it do. And that goes for non-religious jewellery too. I can see the point of not allowing long dangly earrings and not allowing heelys etc... due to health and safety issues but bangles? :eek:
    Having said that, if the rule was relaxed it should be for everyone not just certain religions imo
  • Ja'mie KingJa'mie King Posts: 8,445
    Forum Member
    PamelaL wrote: »
    Channelling your alter ego there you mean thing. :D

:D

I think Ja'mie would have put it less tactfully!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EvilMeMeMe wrote: »
    Where have I been going wrong? :cry::mad::cry::mad:

Me too. Where's my salary for life and free house?? Blimey the xenophobic claptrap you read on here. :eek:
  • ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just because she's not white, doesn't mean she "came" to the country. I believe she was born here.
  • BigfeetBigfeet Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ultrasonic wrote: »

2) So you can get a load of time off school (under the banner of "moral protest")
    5) So that you can launch a stupid and expensive legal battle (which you don't have to pay for by the way)
    6) So that you can generally take the p*ss, have the last laugh and get stupid organisations like Liberty to help you to stamp out the formerly widely-used, but now increasingly rare principle of "Common Sense."

All very good points :D .
  • California GirlCalifornia Girl Posts: 7,619
    Forum Member
    ustarion wrote: »

Maybe it's time for an integration of brain, fingers and keyboard. Does it harm anyone for someone to wear some display of their faith - or anything else for that matter.

Here's an idea..... how about we learn to live and let live? To radical for ya?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    income & health care all for free
    --I'm not a rascist - I am just

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read!
    Firstly, she was BORN in Britain, she didn't migrate. Secondly, this is got NOTHING to do with GOVERNMENT! The schools RULES are set by the SCHOOL! Not by the Labour Party.

As for the given 'Homes', 'BMWs', 'Health Care' that's just stupid! For a start, I wasn't born here - me and my parents migrated, and we (I know damn well) didn't get anything like you mentioned! - My parent's worked for it (and are still working to maintain receiving those services).

Unless you have 'HARD' facts and evidence to suggest that 'EVERY' migrant gets what you have said, I suggest you stop with the ranting!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of that is hot-headed rot. Not "all" the incoming people from any country are given a home, an income & healthcare all from free. If you knew anything about the hoops that asylum seekers have to jump through to still only get less than half the JSA/IS benefit level at most, or the fact that many people coming here have their passport stamped "No recourse to social funds", or the National Assistance Act or even Social Services legislation, you'd know that your post is the result of swallowing the media hype hook, line & sinker more than actual facts. It's not even relevant to this girl, as she was born here.

As for this girl's case against the school/education authority in particular, as someone else has pointed out, the law is already in place that allows for the wearing of symbols of important religious significance & it has been there for years. If they or their legal advisors had taken that law into account, this case would never have ended up costing so much in terms of money & time.
  • douknowotimean?douknowotimean? Posts: 1,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ultrasonic wrote: »

I agree. The amount of publicity she has recieved on the local news, the last few months, has been way over the top.

At the end of the day Rules are Rules. We all have to abide by them everyday whether in school, work or out and about in public.

Common Sense seems to have gone well and truly out of the window.
  • ScaramoucheScaramouche Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. The amount of publicity she has recieved on the local news, the last few months, has been way over the top.

At the end of the day Rules are Rules. We all have to abide by them everyday whether in school, work or out and about in public.

Common Sense seems to have gone well and truly out of the window.

If the school had used common sense they'd have obeyed the law and this would never have been an issue. Rules are, as you say, rules.