Anyone got Yosemite yet?

lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
Forum Member
✭✭
Ok, so it's available 'today' apparently. But it's not, not yet anyway.

All the articles are updating saying it's available now but I've just tried the update and the store itself and there's no Yosemite. I guess the publishers all want to be up to date so they're putting the available now bit out despite it probably taking a few more hours to get things going.

Anyone managed to upgrade to the public upgrade yet? (not the beta of GMR)

Comments

• IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not yet, hopefully be up soon.

Had Yosemite Beta on a second hard drive for the past few months and was very pleased with how it all worked. Looking forward to downloading the final version.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried the beta a while ago. But still no sign of it on the App Store yet.
  • lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently it will be here today. Guessing it's US time so will be later in the night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 'Upgrade Now' button saying it isn't available on the UK app store yet....

http://www.apple.com/uk/osx/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't do that for me. It loads the App store and then times out :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now I'm getting the 'not available in UK message'.

Appears it's also not available in the UK and many other countries. SO where has Apple made it available to?
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only got Beta 6 a little while ago. Not sure how much will change between that and the final version that should be released in the next few hours or so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps they're learning from past mistakes when the servers would get totally hammered when practically the entire planet was downloading the update at the same time, and it would time out or slow to a crawl.
  • Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nope not yet, is it possible to back up the data to a usb? to reuse?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay-Cee wrote: »
    nope not yet, is it possible to back up the data to a usb? to reuse?

Your data should be ok - but it definitely make a backup of everything before attempting anything major like an OS upgrade. Easiest way is with an external HDD using TIme Machine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    Your data should be ok - but it definitely make a backup of everything before attempting anything major like an OS upgrade. Easiest way is with an external HDD using TIme Machine.

Thanks, i asked the wrong question. I meant the OS itself Yosemite, can it be put on a usb to reload the mac just like windows?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, i asked the wrong question. I meant the OS itself Yosemite, can it be put on a usb to reload the mac just like windows?

I'm sure it will be possible. Loads of guide exist about doing it for Mavericks and even the Yosemite Beta. I'm sure the procedure will be similar. In the next day or two there'll probably be loads of guides detailing step by step how to do it for the release version of Yosemite.

http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/os-x-yosemite-usb-installer-public-beta/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yosemite now showing on the UK app Store - but giving an error if you try and download - so hopefully it will start working any minute now...
  • b.leverb.lever Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wait ios8 cocked a lot of iPads up let them iron the bugs. Out first .

>:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure it will be possible. Loads of guide exist about doing it for Mavericks and even the Yosemite Beta. I'm sure the procedure will be similar. In the next day or two there'll probably be loads of guides detailing step by step how to do it for the release version of Yosemite.

http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/os-x-yosemite-usb-installer-public-beta/

Thanks for the reply. I cannot wait to get the update, just hope no damage to the system
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It appears to be working. Set my MacBook Air to download it. Over 5GB so will take a bit of time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep. Mine's downloading too.

However I'm having real problems accessing digitalspy from my imac. Safari on my desktop always causes me problems for this site. Have to change to my phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    downloading as well :D

The phone calls and sms on Yosemite, does it only work on iPhones? or any smart phone like the s4
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The phone calls and sms on Yosemite, does it only work on iPhones? or any smart phone like the s4

It'll be iPhone only as its part of Apple's Continuity/Handoff feature on iOS 8.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member

Handover is between Apple devices only:cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Izak wrote: »
    It'll be iPhone only as its part of Apple's Continuity/Handoff feature on iOS 8.
    BKM wrote: »
    Handover is between Apple devices only:cry:

Oh that sucks, i May get the iPhone then just for this. Download done
  • Betty SwollaxBetty Swollax Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Downloading Yosemite now. I wonder what it's going to break? I'm coming straight over from Mountain Lion. I never did bother with Mavericks.
    I live in a fairly remote area so my internet is very slow. According to the download bar, it's going to take at least 10 hours to download!! At least most of that will be overnight while I'm sleeping.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Downloading now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    downloaded and installed and wow amazing, love the new dock. Even safari looks good :D
  • Silver TractorSilver Tractor Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    downloaded and installed and wow amazing, love the new dock. Even safari looks good :D

Yes it's great and the clearer text etc makes it easier for old-timers like me to read stuff.

It downloaded / installed on my iMac really quickly but I bet it will take a lot longer on my Macbook Air,

I might even start using Safari now!