Three phases out "The One Plan" and Unlimited tethering

Comments

• david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    binary wrote: »
    What are you talking about?!

Not having a 100 Mbps connection delivered straight to your cerebral cortex is little more than a breach of your human rights and an affront to the very dignity of all of our beings.

The fact that this isn't available everywhere with as close to zero latency as possible for a nominal cost basically says it all, we might as well admit we're cavemen living in the neolithic era. Disgusting.

I was actually talking about 3's 3G in reply to a post. And I do get a good signal on my 3 PAYG sim and I love playing youtube clips and listening to the radio on tunein with the 3G sim. And it's not even 10mbps. It might surprise you that 3G is still used extensively by most smartphone users.

I'll cross the bridge in terms of 4G when I come to it. But 22mbps on a 3 4G sim according another poster would be more than adequate if that's a consistent figure. Actually it would be pretty damned good for a no frills network. Yes it's roughly half the speed of EE, but wth 3 6GB of data would last roughly twice as long as EE's 6GB plus 3's data is cheaper than EE.

Of course you'll be disappointed with 3's 4G if you expect rolls royce quality. But you won't get much of 4G data to play with on EE each month after the 100GB per month for 2 months is over.
  • voodoofishvoodoofish Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    I've been waiting with bated breath for my text message/letter to come through telling me the end of my One Plan is nigh, and I'm still waiting. The only reason I've not ported out already is because I want to see what EE pull out of the hat in Jan/Feb (I'm assuming, like most people here, that they won't just let their SIM only tariff data allowances halve like they will according to the small print on their website).

I went to Kings Cross today on my lunch break, and Three's network was so congested I couldn't use any data at all. This morning, while waiting for the bus, I managed a paltry 0.4Mbps and struggled to refresh the bus times on my phone. Maybe Three are planning to wait until their network (hopefully) improves in Jan after the first lot of people loose their unlimited tethering, before asking One Plan users to pay more for the service? I'm a little skeptical whether this will happen though, as the 4G rollout hasn't done much to improve congestion (in London at least) despite my (overly optimistic?) hopes that it would. The way things are at the moment I wouldn't stay with Three even if they let me keep my £15/month One Plan - it's got to the point where I would rather just pay more for a service that works.

I use pretty much the average One Plan monthly data figures that have been posted on these forums, and would much rather pay £28/month to EE for a 10GB allowance than £25/month to Three for AYCE with the state their network is in at the moment. With cash back, the reality is the average One Plan user would be better off switching to EE on cost alone. The irony is that it's the heavy users who will find it harder to switch to EE, which are presumably the less profitable users for Three (though I realise heavy tethers might leave anyway since they can get more than 4GB tethered data elsewhere but not from Three). If the low to average One Plan users leave, and the heavy users end up staying (even with limited tethering), I can't imagine it would be a particularly good outcome for Three.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    voodoofish wrote: »
    I've been waiting with bated breath for my text message/letter to come through telling me the end of my One Plan is nigh, and I'm still waiting. The only reason I've not ported out already is because I want to see what EE pull out of the hat in Jan/Feb (I'm assuming, like most people here, that they won't just let their SIM only tariff data allowances halve like they will according to the small print on their website).

I went to Kings Cross today on my lunch break, and Three's network was so congested I couldn't use any data at all. This morning, while waiting for the bus, I managed a paltry 0.4Mbps and struggled to refresh the bus times on my phone. Maybe Three are planning to wait until their network (hopefully) improves in Jan after the first lot of people loose their unlimited tethering, before asking One Plan users to pay more for the service? I'm a little skeptical whether this will happen though, as the 4G rollout hasn't done much to improve congestion (in London at least) despite my (overly optimistic?) hopes that it would. The way things are at the moment I wouldn't stay with Three even if they let me keep my £15/month One Plan - it's got to the point where I would rather just pay more for a service that works.

I use pretty much the average One Plan monthly data figures that have been posted on these forums, and would much rather pay £28/month to EE for a 10GB allowance than £25/month to Three for AYCE with the state their network is in at the moment. With cash back, the reality is the average One Plan user would be better off switching to EE on cost alone. The irony is that it's the heavy users who will find it harder to switch to EE, which are presumably the less profitable users for Three (though I realise heavy tethers might leave anyway since they can get more than 4GB tethered data elsewhere but not from Three). If the low to average One Plan users leave, and the heavy users end up staying (even with limited tethering), I can't imagine it would be a particularly good outcome for Three.

A lot of areas just haven't been upgraded, even in urban areas, some are using low speed HSPA+.
  • Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    forgive me, not been following this topic recently. i have heard my one plan since last year, will i lose my unlimited tethering in january?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Jay-Cee wrote: »
    forgive me, not been following this topic recently. i have heard my one plan since last year, will i lose my unlimited tethering in january?

Not necessarily in January, as it depends on when your contract is due to end.

Jabba has said many times that this is a phased approach, so you'll be notified at some stage that the contract is being discontinued.

I think in essence, they're removing the unlimited tethering option and replacing it with a 4GB limit (like they did with new handset contracts earlier this year) and (possibly) increasing the cost.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    voodoofish wrote: »
    I went to Kings Cross today on my lunch break, and Three's network was so congested I couldn't use any data at all.

I was at King's Cross station at 5pm yesterday and I too had some problems with data. Has to be a first, but it was frustrating as I was trying to check train times (and some other real time info) and it wasn't having any of it.

I had to try the old flight mode toggle trick to get it to work (something I did regularly back on Orange where data failed more often than it worked) and I was also stuck on 3G instead of 4G.

It does seem that Three's performance in London has fallen of late, which is odd as I can't imagine that they've signed up loads of heavy users this year - especially with tethering no longer an option on new tariffs since early this year.
  • Prof-xProf-x Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    I have also seen a sharp decline in performance round where I live. I don't use that much 3G data to be fair and I would be surprised if the people around me did as its all housing with excellent broadband links. But speeds have gone from 20Mbps+ to around 0.5

1063800546.png

I don't now what has caused such a sharp decline in speeds in the past 6months. That speed test was done just and everyone should be at work / school.

It just seems to have got worse when they mess with the mast. EE are actually just as bad/slow.
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three's performance has always been crap round where I live in Sheffield. Only seems to be really good in Meadowhall but thats about it. Still, its a lot better than what Vodafone 3G was which is almost non existent almost anywhere I go.

So, generaly, 3 Data is rubbish for me, but its still better than Voda and probably EE in a lot of the areas I visit. Not a heavy user as I explained above - 2-3Gb most months but usually lower and zero tethering.
  • Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have received a letter from 3 telling me that unless they hear from me they are moving my plan to 200 minutes & unlimited handset data for £18.00

This was a few weeks after I refused the same offer on the phone when they rang me to discuss it, at the time I told them the offer was not good enough and I would not pay more for less on principle they then offered me their new top package AYCE on everything with 4GB tethering for £15.00 which I accepted it.

This must be a generic letter going out to all one plan customers that are out of contract.

I have no idea why think anyone plan customer would ever settle for much less allowance and pay more money but I guess they can try their luck but I would never pay £18 for what was on that letter.

I wonder how many one plan customers have received this letter and refused it or haggled for better deal or completely left 3 due to removal of one plan.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    I've left. Ported out on Friday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have received a letter from 3 telling me that unless they hear from me they are moving my plan to 200 minutes & unlimited handset data for £18.00

This was a few weeks after I refused the same offer on the phone when they rang me to discuss it, at the time I told them the offer was not good enough and I would not pay more for less on principle they then offered me their new top package AYCE on everything with 4GB tethering for £15.00 which I accepted it.

This must be a generic letter going out to all one plan customers that are out of contract.

I have no idea why think anyone plan customer would ever settle for much less allowance and pay more money but I guess they can try their luck but I would never pay £18 for what was on that letter.

I wonder how many one plan customers have received this letter and refused it or haggled for better deal or completely left 3 due to removal of one plan.

Whats your monthly data usage? and do you tether?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member

Me too, I'm loving EE 4G.
  • Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good on you mate consumer power :D nice to see customers voting with their feet.
    Asking more for less and upsetting loyal customers is not on.

I would port as well if they did not offer me their top package for £15
    shaggy_x wrote: »

Well recently I have been using more data just to justify the monthly cost because I don't use many minutes but use some text.

My data usage has gone up from 2 to 3gb to 15 to 20gb per month recently but all on the handset. I don't even remember the last time I tethered. Probably last August when we were in Cornwall for holiday.

I don't think I have used more than 5gb tethering since joining 3 & One plan sim only deal.

So clearly they are not just targeting heavy tetherers as wrongly assumed they must be targeting anyone who is out of their minimum contract term.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shaggy_x wrote: »

Unlimited data is important.

You just don't know when you need to use extra data than you normally do on your handset.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because it is better than the alternatives. If the price increases or the value decreases, that doesn't mean it's automatically inferior to everything else on the market.

I joined Three in 2012 on the One Plan SIM Only (30 day) - back then it was £25 per month

I got an iPhone 5 on a contract with Three in September 2012 (with the One Plan) - it cost £39 a month.

I am now back to SIM only, paying £15 a month on a 12 month contract, for 200 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data (plus 4GB of tethering).

The only reason I ever got the One Plan was to have Unlimited Data with the option of tethering. I didn't need the 2000 minute allowance.

I still get that unlimited data my new plan, but I'm actually paying a lot less than before (and getting the 0800 calls included).
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member

The decision has been made at board level, no more loyalty discounts or discounted price plans.

You will have the option of accepting the 200 min plan or your PAC, whichever you prefer. I have been told there will be no exceptions to the policy.
  • Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member

Whats the minimum term on that? 12 months 24? 30 days?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    Unlimited data is important.

You just don't know when you need to use extra data than you normally do on your handset.

I agree with this. Most months I rarely use more than 1gb but lately I've been streaming a lot of Spotify and radio simply because I can. Also earlier this summer spent a week in Wales and tethering was a lifeline.
    So, although I don't use a lot, it's nice to know it's there.
    Really hope 3 don't mess this up for everyone due to the actions of a minority of heavy hitters.
    Luckily I have an EE smartphone for work so can tether on that in emergencies and will leave three if there are better options elsewhere.
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,427
    Forum Member
    I think what Three will be surprised with, from me at least, is that I could dedicate hours negotiating with them on the phone. It won't be a case of me just accepting the new plan or getting my PAC. There will be so much more to the discussion, which I am 100% certain will result in me getting what I want.
  • player1player1 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So clearly they are not just targeting heavy tetherers as wrongly assumed they must be targeting anyone who is out of their minimum contract term.

I went out of contract at end of November and no letter so far - keeping me head down and hoping for the best...I may upgrade my handset but simply buy one and move across my existing SIM - then enjoy tethering for as long as it takes for 3 to catch up
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    I think what Three will be surprised with, from me at least, is that I could dedicate hours negotiating with them on the phone. It won't be a case of me just accepting the new plan or getting my PAC. There will be so much more to the discussion, which I am 100% certain will result in me getting what I want.

You'll be 100% certain to fail. They are not negotiating anything it seems. Take the new plan or go. Not up for discussion.
    Forum Member
    You'll be 100% certain to fail. They are not negotiating anything it seems. Take the new plan or go. Not up for discussion.

Agreed, I spoke to a few people at Three, including the Exec Office, the instruction has come from very high up, it's a new price plan or the door.

The decision makers don't seem to care which way the customer decides to go.
  • nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    The decision has been made at board level, no more loyalty discounts or discounted price plans.

You will have the option of accepting the 200 min plan or your PAC, whichever you prefer. I have been told there will be no exceptions to the policy.

PAC for me then. I do like 3, but the speed over the last 11 months has gone from good to bad.
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,427
    Forum Member
    If that ends up being the case, then I'll be sure to make sure I've kept them on the line to the point where they're so irritated by me that they'll probably just give me something just so they can carry on with their day. I'm not in the 20GB+ club, I have tethered twice this year for about ten minutes in total, and I use around 300 minutes a month. I don't believe it's in their interest to lose my custom.
    Obviously I should add that I won't be rude or anything, that isn't my style.
    Forum Member
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    If that ends up being the case, then I'll be sure to make sure I've kept them on the line to the point where they're so irritated by me that they'll probably just give me something just so they can carry on with their day. I'm not in the 20GB+ club, I have tethered twice this year for about ten minutes in total, and I use around 300 minutes a month. I don't believe it's in their interest to lose my custom.
    Obviously I should add that I won't be rude or anything, that isn't my style.

They don't care about usage, you could be in the 200MB club, it's a decision made on high, and there just any latitude left for anyone in a customer facing role, not even a lot of steps up the ladder to change that,