"old" iPhones look small admits iPhone 6 owner

niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
Forum Member
✭✭✭
After years of telling everyone that iPhones were the perfect size for your hand, it seems that Apple owners have now realised what everyone else already knew.

Steve Allen on LBC's early breakfast show was commenting that now he has been using his iPhone 6 for a few days, his old iPhone looks small.

Steve is far from tech savy and probably reflects the views of the ordinary man in the street when it comes to gadgets. He loves his iPhone, and he loved his last iPhone too. This isn't an anti iPhone thread, just highlighting how what can seem obvious to most people can't be seen by a typical iPhone fan until blessed with magic Apple pixie dust.

But now the iPhone 6 is available, it is safe to admit things look better on a bigger screen, and it isn't a problem to use the phone after all!

Comments

• kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After years of telling everyone that iPhones were the perfect size for your hand, it seems that Apple owners have now realised what everyone else already knew.

Steve Allen on LBC's early breakfast show was commenting that now he has been using his iPhone 6 for a few days, his old iPhone looks small.

Steve is far from tech savy and probably reflects the views of the ordinary man in the street when it comes to gadgets. He loves his iPhone, and he loved his last iPhone too. This isn't an anti iPhone thread, just highlighting how what can seem obvious to most people can't be seen by a typical iPhone fan until blessed with magic Apple pixie dust.

But now the iPhone 6 is available, it is safe to admit things look better on a bigger screen, and it isn't a problem to use the phone after all!

Nice generalisation.

In other news all android users admit that they only use it because the phones are cheap:)
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nice bait and switch.

You start by saying that iPhone users told everyone that iPhones were the perfect size.

But continue by saying that this one person, Steve Allen, has commented that he thinks old iPhones look small.

Is your argument here that because Steve has said this, therefore all iPhone users are hypocrites?

I'm not sure iPhone users (all of them? some of them? of so, how many?) ever said it was the perfect size. I think probably some just said that they find the smaller size easier to comfortably use with one hand. Which is nothing to do with "how good it looks".
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, are Samsung Galaxy Mini owners deluded too, or do they just prefer smaller phones?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly. I know someone with a Galaxy Note, therefore, let's call them "Samsung owners" are all deluded hypocrites.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iPhone users are forced to take this new opinion even if they disagree, or keep an old phone. They don't want to look out of date. They will buy anything Apple tells them to. The 6s and 6s plus could come made out of hardened camel poo next year and they'd all buy it because it was the latest must have that Apple tells them they want.
  • mupet0000mupet0000 Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not like iPhone users had a choice before now. It was buy an iPhone and deal with the size or buy another phone. Of course the older iPhones look smaller compared to the newer ones, it's because they are smaller!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iPhone users are forced to take this new opinion even if they disagree, or keep an old phone. They don't want to look out of date. They will buy anything Apple tells them to. The 6s and 6s plus could come made out of hardened camel poo next year and they'd all buy it because it was the latest must have that Apple tells them they want.

Who is this mythical "they"?

This whole thing about "iPhone users" being under some sort of hypnotic mind control by Apple is just getting stupid now.

That you have such difficulty accepting that some people have a difference preference to you, that your explanation about why people buy iPhones is that "they will buy anything Apple tells them to" is utterly, utterly ridiculous.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Wow this thread seems to have hit a nerve.

The simple and unavaoidable fact is now apple have allowed access to normal sized screens 'ideal' 'one handed' 'perfect for my needs' mantra will be lost forever.

The vast majority of iphone users will not, given the choice come next iphone, wish to return to a small screens, I would bet my house on it :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mupet0000 wrote: »
    It's not like iPhone users had a choice before now.

So they had no choice...
    It was buy an iPhone and deal with the size or buy another phone. Of course the older iPhones look smaller compared to the newer ones, it's because they are smaller!

Except the choice to buy another phone?

Again, who is this mythical group of "iPhone users" who, for some as of yet unknown reason, always have to buy an iPhone?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Who is this mythical "they"?

This whole thing about "iPhone users" being under some sort of hypnotic mind control by Apple is just getting stupid now.

That you have such difficulty accepting that some people have a difference preference to you, that your explanation about why people buy iPhones is that "they will buy anything Apple tells them to" is utterly, utterly ridiculous.

You will buy anything Apple tells you to year in year out.

And you do. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Earlier this year Calipo Pie was telling us how the 4 inch screen was the perfect size and everyone's else's was unnecessarily big if you can't use it with one hand.

Now Apple have made a bigger phone, you've dropped this because Apple have told you to.

You do anything Apple tells you to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    This forum gets more than its fair share of pointless threads.

This thread is particularly pointless.
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iPhone user here. Since the 3G.

Define a 'normal' phone screen. Normal for who? Normal for what make?

The iPhone 6 is too big. The iPhone 5 is he perfect size. It's perfect for one handed use and suits my needs perfectly.

So no, you're incorrect, the mantra won't disappear forever for the simple reason that not everyone likes the same thing.

So not every iPhone user thinks the iPhone 6 is perfect because Apple say so. A quick look on mac rumours will show plenty are returning their phones because they find them too big.

And given that I have a choice in what phone I buy. I can say with absolute certainly that I won't be buying any phones by Apple in future unless they once again release a 4" phone.

What your basically saying is. You see larger screen phones as 'normal'. Up until now Apple said they wouldn't make one. And now they have. So you feel the need to have a dig at the users of said phones. Good for you. I hope it's made you feel better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You will buy anything Apple tells you to year in year out.

Nope.
    And you do. :)

Nope.

Are you just making stuff up for fun?
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    wow :o

The usual suspects ripped into this thread within minutes :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Earlier this year Calipo Pie was telling us how the 4 inch screen was the perfect size and everyone's else's was unnecessarily big if you can't use it with one hand.

Again, nope.

I'm sure everyone appreciates you're summary, but either have a poor memory, are confusing me with someone else, or just making more stuff up.

What I said was that I find the 5S a good size to comfortably use with one hand.
    Now Apple have made a bigger phone, you've dropped this because Apple have told you to.

No I haven't. What did I say that makes you think that? Or is that the 4th thing you have made up in two posts?
    You do anything Apple tells you to.

Oh just stop it. (Although this while making things up[/i{ thing is quite entertaining.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member

.... wondering what pressure is needed to bend camel poo ......
  • Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought there was a survey of iPhone users now liking the big screen, didn't know it was just 1 guy
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not like iPhone users had a choice before now. It was buy an iPhone and deal with the size or buy another phone. Of course the older iPhones look smaller compared to the newer ones, it's because they are smaller!

Steve Allen said his old phone looked "small", not "smaller", there is a big difference, that you seem to miss.
  • mupet0000mupet0000 Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    So they had no choice...

Except the choice to buy another phone?

Again, who is this mythical group of "iPhone users" who, for some as of yet unknown reason, always have to buy an iPhone?

Mythical? People who prefer iPhones and iOS are mythical? OK then.

I know plenty of people who will stick to iPhone regardless of what other phones are available. My cousin has an iPhone 5, she wants a new phone but didn't want to pay up the full price for a new iPhone 6, she said she liked my Galaxy S4 but she wanted to stick with iPhone and will probably get a 5C or maybe a 5S next. Seems pointless to go from a 5 to a 5C though.

Ever heard of brand loyalty or "fanboys"? Of course there are "iPhone users".
    Steve Allen said his old phone looked "small", not "smaller", there is a big difference, that you seem to miss.

Yeah I guess I don't see how this is a story. When I use a 10 inch tablet for 6 hours and then use a 5 inch phone, it seems small too. I would feel this is the case for anyone using any device that's larger and then using a smaller one, it would seem small.
  • iGeek2014iGeek2014 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was in Manchester earlier and called into the Apple Store to have a look at the 4.7" iPhone 6.

My 6 Plus easily dwarfed it but I am happy with the larger screen...

I look at it like this... It's what works for you as an individual, surely? Some people want an all singing and dancing phone, others don't.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My other half who is an Apple fan (yes its embarrassing) who I had shown pictures of pre production iPhone 6 was adamant she didn't want a larger iPhone as it was "Too big". That was until she saw one in the store and now wants an iPhone 6 (but not a 6 Plus as its too large). Plus she still moans about her iPhone and has to take it to the Apple store a lot! Ive never had to take any of my phones back to any store ever!
  • sky0000547sky0000547 Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    I previously had an iPhone 4 which I have now upgraded to an iPhone 6. The OH still has an iPhone 4S. Having spent all day using the 6 now and then looked at the 4S, the 4S is very small indeed. I have always been reluctant to have a screen phone such as the Samsung but the iPhone 6 screen size is nice however it is a tad bigger than one hand operation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mythical? People who prefer iPhones and iOS are mythical? OK then.

I know plenty of people who will stick to iPhone regardless of what other phones are available. My cousin has an iPhone 5, she wants a new phone but didn't want to pay up the full price for a new iPhone 6, she said she liked my Galaxy S4 but she wanted to stick with iPhone and will probably get a 5C or maybe a 5S next. Seems pointless to go from a 5 to a 5C though.

Ever heard of brand loyalty or "fanboys"? Of course there are "iPhone users"

So are we talking about "iPhone users" or people who always have to have an iPhone, even if it doesn't have features they actually want?
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Well. I never did. Thank you.

I was having so much difficulty and this thread came to my aid.

A 4" screen is smaller than a 4.7"screen

Who knew.