FAO Anyone in N.Ireland (Water Crisis)

Comments

• odz1odz1 Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    The news reports a maximum of 40000 people affected which is a long way off 70% of the population!

Do you live over here? I was in Lurgan yesterday and County Armagh and apart from no water they had no heating for a week.

I know what is going on as I live here so I will stick by what I say until I hear anything different.

I am living through it!
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    odz1 wrote: »
    Do you live over here? I was in Lurgan yesterday and County Armagh and apart from no water they had no heating for a week.

I know what is going on as I live here so I will stick by what I say until I hear anything different.

I am living through it!

Yep - as I've said I've had no water the last couple of mornings and I have none now. They've shut us off so they can circulate it elsewhere.

Just because you know some people affected is hardly proof that 70% are affected. Yes, it sucks and yes its a piss poor situation but theres no need to exaggerate the numbers
  • camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member

I am living through it!

I would suggest you ask santa for a calculator next year.
  • odz1odz1 Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All sky new and BBC is doing is reporting from Belfast - Have you heard any other reports from any reports from any other provinces?

Nope, so dont tell me I wrong - you will hear the truth as the days go on.
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    No matter what the numbers are it's bloody awful for those who have been without water since xmas eve.

We have opened the East Wing of the house and have invited the great unwashed of this parish to pop in for a bath and a cup of tea.
    Forum Member
    All sky new and BBC is doing is reporting from Belfast - Have you heard any other reports from any reports from any other provinces?

So whats 70% of 1.7 million people then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Okay - my proof for 40000 comes from NI water figures... (maybe not the most reliable and unbiased but I got nothing else to work with) But where does your proof of 1179000 affected people come from? Or did you make that figure up?
    Forum Member
    Okay - my proof for 40000 comes from NI water figures... (maybe not the most reliable and unbiased but I got nothing else to work with) But where does your proof of 1179000 affected people come from? Or did you make that figure up?

which based on the 40,000 fiqure is only 4.2 % of the entire population of N.Ireland
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    camer wrote: »
    which based on the 40,000 fiqure is only 4.2 % of the entire population of N.Ireland

Yeah, even given a margin of error or NI Water under reporting the actual figure, its still way off this 70% mark. Its this kind of scare mongering, over exaggeration of the issue that isnt helpful. From the way Steven Nolan was ranting this morning you'd think that AIDs and Cancer had mutated into one virus and become an airborne contagen!
    Forum Member
    Yeah, even given a margin of error or NI Water under reporting the actual figure, its still way off this 70% mark. Its this kind of scare mongering, over exaggeration of the issue that isnt helpful. From the way Steven Nolan was ranting this morning you'd think that AIDs and Cancer had mutated into one virus and become an airborne contagen!

They have nothing better to report plus the reports that have been seen on the telly are just repeats of the same old stuff, I watched a report tonight which showed a burst pipe on the Ormeau road which is strange since it was fixed 2 days ago.The vast majority of the leaks are on private property and in general are not being attended to which gives the water service a terrible hard job to do, I think its called "pass the buck".
  • euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guess I'm lucky - I'm in North Antrim, and don't know anyone that's been affected by this water shortages, though when in Asda earlier, there was no bottled water to be seen anywhere.

People affected by this do have my sympathy though, I was one of those people affected by the power cuts earlier in the year, and had no electric for 5 days, and given the choice, I think I'd rather have no electric than no water!
  • toogoodfortvtoogoodfortv Posts: 6,536
    Forum Member
    They had the leisure centre open on Tues night and I think wed morning for residents to come in and have showers.... I have resorted to using my gym now (i'm a member)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The 40,000 figure is for homes/businesses/premises. The amount of actual people affected pushes this number up considerably when you take into account the number of people living in each house that has no water.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wondering why this is getting so much coverage on the news. About 250,000 homes were without mains water for 2 weeks in Gloucestershire in 2007 after the summer floods.

However, not nice and hope that supplies are restored soon. Will be interesting to see if you guys get compensation for it, Severn Trent refused on the grounds that it was an act of god and that they supplied water bowsers!

I was told the same thing when i managed to get through to NI Water. I think those who's homes were damaged when sewage spilled into them might be entitled to something though. ( according to Martin McGuinnes anyways).

It's a horrible situation to be in and i'm so very thankful i have running water again after being without so long.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No problems with water supply in South Down. Also no problem in Lisburn as I took the children to the swimming pool yesterday.

It's not quite the desperate state that the media are claiming. Some people are suffering but the majority are fine
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oboe111 wrote: »
    No problems with water supply in South Down. Also no problem in Lisburn as I took the children to the swimming pool yesterday.

It's not quite the desperate state that the media are claiming. Some people are suffering but the majority are fine

There are problems in Lisburn! Just because the swimming pool has running water doesn't mean to say the rest of the city is fine.

Of course the leisureplex is fine, it's where the local residents have to go now and get showered and their bottled water.

I'm from Lisburn and i'm well aware of the problems in the city.

Some people suffering ? catch yourself on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Honestly, have a bit of empathy. Even if one person has had no water for 12 days that is one person too many IMO. I can't imagine how horrible it is for people. How on earth are elderly and disabled people managing? And people with small children. Nightmare.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 40,000 figure is for homes/businesses/premises. The amount of actual people affected pushes this number up considerably when you take into account the number of people living in each house that has no water.

You hit the nail on the head - its homes/premises and not people . Whats the average occupancy rate 4?? Pity the media would not pick up on this point and hilight the true picture of those effected!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honestly, have a bit of empathy. Even if one person has had no water for 12 days that is one person too many IMO. I can't imagine how horrible it is for people. How on earth are elderly and disabled people managing? And people with small children. Nightmare.

I have empathy for those suffering. I'm merely pointing out that the problem is not as widespread as the media reports suggest
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lins_81 wrote: »
    There are problems in Lisburn! Just because the swimming pool has running water doesn't mean to say the rest of the city is fine.

Of course the leisureplex is fine, it's where the local residents have to go now and get showered and their bottled water.

I'm from Lisburn and i'm well aware of the problems in the city.

Some people suffering ? catch yourself on.

I didn't see anyone collecting bottled water yesterday.

I did see a lot of leaky pipes inside with no apparent concern from staff. I actually phoned before I left to check it was open as it seemed crass to enjoy the pool while others were suffering but I was told all was fine. And it was.
  • KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wondering why this is getting so much coverage on the news. About 250,000 homes were without mains water for 2 weeks in Gloucestershire in 2007 after the summer floods.

However, not nice and hope that supplies are restored soon. Will be interesting to see if you guys get compensation for it, Severn Trent refused on the grounds that it was an act of god and that they supplied water bowsers!

Yep, it was all rather screwed up there, not to mention that the floods also knocked out a substation so people were without power as well as running water.

There was a great shot of people holding a mini-gig outside a pub in Tewkesbury. They're so used to getting flooded that it was business as usual for them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have empathy for those suffering. I'm merely pointing out that the problem is not as widespread as the media reports suggest

Its 40,000 homes/premises with average 4 people per home - 160,000 people!
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a genuine question and I'm not trying to annoy anyone from Northern Ireland. How do you think the rates you pay compare with council tax charges elsewhere in the UK? I'm going to quote a post from camer because it surprised me:
    I can never get my head around the council tax thing as I do not pay it in N.I, my total bill from the council is about 380 per year for everything, I think its down to the rents cap here which is very low in regard to housing benefit (390 pounds per month) so landlords cannot charge massive rents which in turn would need to be paid by benefits which would be received from rate (council tax) payers so that keeps the rates very low. I dont know how people can survive paying massive council tax like that.
    Now of course I don't know what sort of property is involved, but I'll quote the 2009/2009 charges for my own house — a three-bedroomed bungalow in south-west Scotland:

Council tax: £1282.11
    Water charges: £217.80
    Wastewater charges: £246.07
    Total: £1,745.98

The total charge for water and sewerage was therefore £463.87. I don't know how that figure compares with charges in other parts of Scotland, England and Wales, but I have the impression that people in Northern Ireland may be getting off lightly. Maybe you should be paying more for your water and sewerage? Any comments?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    This is a genuine question and I'm not trying to annoy anyone from Northern Ireland. How do you think the rates you pay compare with council tax charges elsewhere in the UK? I'm going to quote a post from camer because it surprised me:

Now of course I don't know what sort of property is involved, but I'll quote the 2009/2009 charges for my own house — a three-bedroomed bungalow in south-west Scotland:

Council tax: £1282.11
    Water charges: £217.80
    Wastewater charges: £246.07
    Total: £1,745.98

The total charge for water and sewerage was therefore £463.87. I don't know how that figure compares with charges in other parts of Scotland, England and Wales, but I have the impression that people in Northern Ireland may be getting off lightly. Maybe you should be paying more for your water and sewerage? Any comments?

I have no idea about council tax but my rates bill was about the same as your total bill. I would like to add that i live in the country so dont get the same amenities provided as those in those in the towns and cities!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member

Some people in South Down have been without water for days, others have been on and off, and some have had no problems.