Options

Why won't EE axe Alfie Moon?

Comments

• Options
    D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would they axe one of the show's most popular characters and actor?

Say what you want about Alfie. He is an EastEnders legend and he and Kat are one of the best couples in soap history.

This forum is very out of touch with Alfie. He is loved by general viewers and has been for ten years now.
  • Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think contrary to DS's views, Alfie is very popular with general viewers and Kat and Alfie are popular together with them too.

Im not a big Alfie fan, I don't dislike him but I'm not a big fan either - I think he has a place on the show and I do still think he and Kat can work as a couple but this Groundhog Day scenario with them has to stop. This cycle of reunion-breakup doesn't do anyone any favours.
  • Options
    Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Sumner wrote: »
    Do the producers ever take a look at the forums? If they so must realise the general consensus is Alfie has had his day and Kat is far more interesting without him.

If the producers read this forum and followed the often ridiculous ideas coming from it, the show would have ended years ago....
  • Options
    superstar111superstar111 Posts: 18,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we axed every character who had their detractos thered be nobody left!
  • Options
    SumnerSumner Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    If the producers read this forum and followed the often ridiculous ideas coming from it, the show would have ended years ago....

A good point. Obviously they shouldn't make all, or even most decisions based on forum opinion but it's as clear as day Alfie is a spent force. I imagine they value Kat over Alfie as both the character and actor are better and it seems noticeable she generates a far stronger response without him so isn't it foolhardy to stick her back with him just because they were popular together a decade ago? Creativity should come before past popularity.

The most obvious reason for axeing Alfie is a good one: he is dull.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    Alfie needs to be in prison for arson. I cannot stand the character but even if I put my personal feelings to one side I find it disgusting that he hasn't been punished by the authorities for setting fire to his house and attempting to fraudulently claim the insurance and ending up burning his wife quite seriously.
  • Options
    SumnerSumner Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    D. Morgan wrote: »

Say what you want about Alfie. He is an EastEnders legend and he and Kat are one of the best couples in soap history.

This forum is very out of touch with Alfie. He is loved by general viewers and has been for ten years now.

Alfie is not a legend nor is he iconic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Jessie would leave with him!

I've seen this said before, are people just assuming or have the actors actually said this would be the case? It seems strange that's all to quit a high profile and well paid job just cos they sack your friend. I mean I can understand if they are sacked for wrong reasons but with soap actors it's the nature of the beast that characters get let go
  • Options
    Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    A good point. Obviously they shouldn't make all, or even most decisions based on forum opinion but it's as clear as day Alfie is a spent force. I imagine they value Kat over Alfie as both the character and actor are better and it seems noticeable she generates a far stronger response without him so isn't it foolhardy to stick her back with him just because they were popular together a decade ago? Creativity should come before past popularity.

The most obvious reason for axeing Alfie is a good one: he is dull.

To be honest I kind of agree he is dull. And I'd never have thought he'd be that when he started on his first stint. Scuse my snotty response by the way it wasn't aimed at you!
  • Options
    EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never liked Alfie but in recent months my loathing for him has gone off the scale. A scene that sticks in my mind is when he went to the Council (?) to beg for accommodation after the fire (THAT HE STARTED) and thought he could use his bloody belt as ID. Although I did wonder whether the writer of that particular scene was having a laugh at Shane's alleged arrogance as it was a real "Do you know how I am?" diva moment.

The main reason I want him gone is that the character has gone from being a pathetic and unfunny cheeky chappy to being an absolutely odious individual - rude, entitled, racist (telling Aleks to go back where he came from) and then standing in judgement over Kat as if he's done nothing wrong. And now a few months on from the fire that he started and that could have killed his wife, he's standing in the Vic doing his horrendous life and soul of the party attention seeking crap when actually he should be facing up to his crimes.

Ugh, I just HATE him.
  • Options
    cardiff boyocardiff boyo Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jessie would leave with him!

I always thought this too but I also assumed they had been in contact since they originally left however after reading how they didn't speak for years due to hacking I think Jessie would easily stay (I know they made up but still she needs her wages)
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    ALowsley wrote: »
    I'm not that keen on Alfie. But he seems to be popular on Facebook/twitter.

Yes, Shane has a big following.
    Kids from Broken homes Is very common. In fact way over half of the kids in this country are from a broken home.

Yet in Albert Square it's more like 95%. It's ridiculous that only one family has both parents involved ATM.
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never liked Alfie but in recent months my loathing for him has gone off the scale. A scene that sticks in my mind is when he went to the Council (?) to beg for accommodation after the fire (THAT HE STARTED) and thought he could use his bloody belt as ID. Although I did wonder whether the writer of that particular scene was having a laugh at Shane's alleged arrogance as it was a real "Do you know how I am?" diva moment.

The main reason I want him gone is that the character has gone from being a pathetic and unfunny cheeky chappy to being an absolutely odious individual - rude, entitled, racist (telling Aleks to go back where he came from) and then standing in judgement over Kat as if he's done nothing wrong. And now a few months on from the fire that he started and that could have killed his wife, he's standing in the Vic doing his horrendous life and soul of the party attention seeking crap when actually he should be facing up to his crimes.

Ugh, I just HATE him.

Agreed with everythkng you said. The belt was so bad it's laughable also he tried to blame the fire and his situation of the masoods.
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    Yes, Shane has a big following.

Yet in Albert Square it's more like 95%. It's ridiculous that only one family has both parents involved ATM.

Depends on the area. Also it's a handful of the area who are characters and with this being a soap couples stating together gets boring and brings both characters to a point where it's easy to get stuck with them.
  • Options
    paxton7paxton7 Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alfie needs to be in prison for arson. I cannot stand the character but even if I put my personal feelings to one side I find it disgusting that he hasn't been punished by the authorities for setting fire to his house and attempting to fraudulently claim the insurance and ending up burning his wife quite seriously.

This is my biggest problem with Alfie right now. He has commited a serious crime but just swans around without a care in the world talking down to Kat and taking the moral high ground. Even if he doesn't get punished by the law - this is Walford after all - he needs some kind of comeuppance.

My other problem is a worry he has been dragging Kat down and she works better without him. I'm concerned once he starts involving himself in her life again her character will lose steam again.

I did used to really like Alfie back in 2002 - 2005 and as a guy who isn't generally interested in romantic plots the Kat and Alfie story was a rare exception.

If DTC is interested in fixing Alfie I would be happy for that to happen, but if this current version of Alfie is the best we're going to get under DTC I would like him to leave.

I have been really enjoying Kat without him and if he starts dragging her down again I'll be seriously pissed off.
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Alfie is still in EE because people actually DO like him, just because the majority of this forum don't like him it doesn't mean it goes for all of us. He's extremely popular on twitter and other social media so I highly doubt TPTB will axe him and I think this is the only place where most people hate him and why would TPTB axe a character on the say so of people on here?

I love Alfie and he makes me laugh, ok so he's a buffoon, an idiot, a moron, whatever, but he is one half of one of EE's most iconic couples and although their constant splitting and reconciling is annoying there's a huge possibility of an eventual reconciliation and if Alfie is axed that might not happen.

I love Kat and Alfie together and I do NOT want her with Max.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Alfie is not a legend nor is he iconic.

He is to those of us who like him!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    D. Morgan wrote: »

True!

Post of the thread!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TPTB certainly do have plans for Alfie, he's driving Jim Branning to his funeral in a horse drawn hearse.
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member

Ugh, I just HATE him.

BIB Ha ha ha!!! Brilliant :D I completely agree with this post! I'm so glad too that Shane Richie's game show with the lottery has come to an end as I like watching the lottery and he gets on my nerves. The character and the actor are annoying.
    Alfie's behaviour in the housing office was terrible. Didn't he make a racist comment in there too about "all sorts" being housed? The moronic cheeky chappy behaviour is so irritating. His treatment of his generous neighbours was despicable. If someone came to stay with me and behaved like that they'd be out on their ear. I don't want any more Kat and Alfie splitting up and getting together again. Kat is better off without Alfie and he would be nothing without her. She is a much more interesting character without him. It's high time he was axed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    BIB Ha ha ha!!! Brilliant :D I completely agree with this post! I'm so glad too that Shane Richie's game show with the lottery has come to an end as I like watching the lottery and he gets on my nerves. The character and the actor are annoying.
    Alfie's behaviour in the housing office was terrible. Didn't he make a racist comment in there too about "all sorts" being housed? The moronic cheeky chappy behaviour is so irritating. His treatment of his generous neighbours was despicable. If someone came to stay with me and behaved like that they'd be out on their ear. I don't want any more Kat and Alfie splitting up and getting together again. Kat is better off without Alfie and he would be nothing without her. She is a much more interesting character without him. It's high time he was axed.

I liked the lottery game show and I will miss it!

I remember the 'all sorts' comment at the housing office I don't think he was being racist though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »

I liked the lottery game show and I will miss it!

I remember the 'all sorts' comment at the housing office I don't think he was being racist though.

And I don't want Alfie axed either, it's brilliant that he's been chosen to drive the horse drawn hearse that will carry Jim to his funeral!

Well done, DTC!
  • Options
    ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because contrary to popular belief, there is more to Alfie than Kat.

I think Alfie has a lot of potential as a character, I just hate that they keep doing this on and off again between him and Kat. It's boring now. Put them together or keep them apart, I don't really care, just keep it as a permanent result.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ryanr554 wrote: »
    Because contrary to popular belief, there is more to Alfie than Kat.

I think Alfie has a lot of potential as a character, I just hate that they keep doing this on and off again between him and Kat. It's boring now. Put them together or keep them apart, I don't really care, just keep it as a permanent result.

I love Alfie and Kat as a couple and I agree that they should stop going around in circles in their relationship, they will probably get back together eventually though.

I also think Alfie is a great character but he needs some better storylines and it should have never been him that started the fire.
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because he's an EastEnders legend.

It's not Shane nor Alfie's fault, that the writing is sloppy for him these days, is it?

Same with Kat tbf.