• Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Bolded 1- I wouldn't go that far! France have the talent to match anyone
    On 6 nations results I'd have to disagree
    Bolded 2- Not necessarily. Australia are more or less a perfect match up for England, i'd be amazed if they lost that. Wales have been very close against Aus of recent and are nearly due a win in a way.
    Problem there is Eng v Oz is the 3rd oct, Wales v Oz the 10th. I just think there will be a massive backlash for Wales to face if Australia are coming off a defeat to England
    Bolded 3- Think you're fairly writing off SA there! They're a good bit better than Australia for starters
    Yeah possibly. I just think once it's into sudden death mode with the home advantage either Wales or England would have the beating of SA. Might be too much wishful thinking mind
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a commentator he's annoying simply because he's speaking as a spectator and a fan. He's a dead sound bloke though in fairness, just very passionate

I have to agree. The concession of 5 tries puts a bit of a dampener on it though

I think if they get everyone fit they're my tip for RWC alright.

Have you met him?
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    platelet wrote: »
    On 6 nations results I'd have to disagree

Problem there is Eng v Oz is the 3rd oct, Wales v Oz the 10th. I just think there will be a massive backlash for Wales to face if Australia are coming off a defeat to England

Yeah possibly. I just think once it's into sudden death mode with the home advantage either Wales or England would have the beating of SA. Might be too much wishful thinking mind

Perhaps, but I'm just thinking back to 2007 when Ireland should have won 6n and had a miserable world cup :(

I forgot there's matches in Cardiff, could Wales get a home quarter? That would be a huge advantage alright!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have you met him?

Course not but have heard plenty accounts of him, and can judge for myself
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot there's matches in Cardiff, could Wales get a home quarter? That would be a huge advantage alright!

Nah, they're for pools C & D - so Ireland's quarter final would be there along with France and versus Argentina & New Zealand
  • Options
    MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Following my essay in post 4076 it's of interest to note that Georgia are now ABOVE Italy in the World Rankings.
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RTÉ's Six Nations closing sequence ... Goodbye and godspeed ... its final day will go down in history of the tournament forever.. roll on 2016!

End of an era on Irish television as Tom McGurk and George Hook bow out from rugby on RTÉ.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    RTÉ's Six Nations closing sequence ... Goodbye and godspeed ... its final day will go down in history of the tournament forever.. roll on 2016!

End of an era on Irish television as Tom McGurk and George Hook bow out from rugby on RTÉ.

Isn't George there for the World Cup as well?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't George there for the World Cup as well?
    RTÉ don't have the RWC, TV3 outbid them for the rights... this was their last match.

Few details I posted (from another thread)

TV3 Ireland offering (outbid RTÉ) - All 48 games, TV3 HD will launch in August

Presenter: Matt Cooper
    Lead Commentator: Conor McNamara
    Reporter: Sinead Kissane

Studio -
    Keith Wood
    Shane Jennings
    Peter Stringer
    Stuart Barnes
    Neil Back
    Hugo McNeill
    Matt Williams
    Murray Kinsella
    Liam Toland
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He still gets paid by RTÉ til the World Cup is over. Clever negotiator :D

Ffs though don't they realise that half the bloody north can't get TV3 anymore and don't want to watch the other channels!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He still gets paid by RTÉ til the World Cup is over. Clever negotiator :D

Ffs though don't they realise that half the bloody north can't get TV3 anymore and don't want to watch the other channels!
    Vast majority of the north (even north of Belfast) can get Saorview over spill from the south... i'd be surprised if you couldn't receive it wherever you are up north.

Check your location here - http://www.saorview.ie/get-saorview/make-the-switch/coverage-map/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't get it without having to buy a new box or receiver for the tvs with built in Freeview.

And it's not available on Sky. And I live 5 miles from the border.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't get it without having to buy a new box or receiver for the tvs with built in Freeview.

And it's not available on Sky. And I live 5 miles from the border.
    Ha either put the hand in the pocket or ITV it is :p
  • Options
    drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Southern Hemisphere teams will be utterly terrified of facing England and they are definitely favourites to win the World Cup.

i wouldn't be so complacent, england are in the group of death with wales and australia..they could easily fall at the first hurdle
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,580
    Forum Member
    Is RWC not free to air in Ireland?

That's rubbish if that's the case
  • Options
    Diamond HeadDiamond Head Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you met him?

I have, in The Sun Inn, Richmond Upon Thames. That's a real rugby pub and is Jason Leonards local too.

Brian is fine, a nice guy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is RWC not free to air in Ireland?

That's rubbish if that's the case

It is but a good part of the north never had that channel to begin with then a load lost it in the switchover.
  • Options
    KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Team Englands performance against France on Saturday will go down in rugby folklore as one of the most brilliant displays by an international side ever.

The Southern Hemisphere teams will be utterly terrified of facing England and they are definitely favourites to win the World Cup.

I really don't think it will... it will be remembered but not that much I'm afraid as other than a strong victory over the Italians the French have been poor. (also, I've never heard them called "Team England" before).

The thing with Southern Hemisphere teams is that they are NEVER terrified of facing anyone, they all genuinely go into every game thinking they are going to win... they don't put much stock in the 6N, it's only last year the Northern Hemisphere teams gave a reasonable account of themselves during the Autumn Internationals which we all have at home...

NZ will be the strong favourites and rightfully so, they have lost 2 games in 3 years or something ridiculous, and they find a way of getting the win even if they don't play well. South Africa play a very Northern Hemisphere style game, they'll be brutal and front up along with a simple enough group I think they'll punish whoever they play in their Quarter Final.

Australia are a bit of an unknown at present, coaching changes just before their tour last year didn't help, but the Waratahs were class last year and Cheika knows what he's doing... that said, the accepted knowledge in Australia at the minute is that the Tah's will take a step back this year for the greater good of the National team, added in O'Conner looks on fire now he's back playing and Australia are looking good.

I'd put NZ as favourites and then England and South Africa joint second favourites, follwed by Ireland and France.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,516
    Forum Member
    Strong words from the RFU chief executive saying its "unacceptable" England have come 2nd in the last 4 Six nations tournaments.

Putting the pressure on a bit ahead of the World Cup - mind you they did give Stuart Lancaster a new contract running till 2020 not so long ago...
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,580
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »
    Strong words from the RFU chief executive saying its "unacceptable" England have come 2nd in the last 4 Six nations tournaments.

Putting the pressure on a bit ahead of the World Cup - mind you they did give Stuart Lancaster a new contract running till 2020 not so long ago...

I think Ritchie was just stating a basic fact, teams want to win trophies. If he'd said 'no it doesn't matter that England haven't won 6 Nations. Second place isn't that bad' RFU would have been attacked for lacking ambition and making excuses for under performing.

The fact RFU have given Lancaster and his team a long term contract, gives them security to continue improving the side. Unless England have a hideous performance at RWC, there's no chance of the management being replaced.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,516
    Forum Member
    No fair point - we should be going out to win as you say and certainly probably do need to be more consistent.

A refreshing attitude maybe compared to the footballers and cricketers who almost have their excuses lined up before they even start losing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ritchie is right - there are ultimately no trophies for coming second. England have 1 Triple Crown to show for 4 years of 'learning'. File that under Not Good Enough. And we conceded NINE tries at Twickenham in this 6 Nations alone. so something is wrong somewhere with the defensive system you would surmise. And for the love of God PLEASE move Robshaw to 6 and let's get a genuine [and quick] openside in, we can't afford to be conceding that many turnovers in the World Cup. Or find another captain [who will perhaps take the 3 points on offer, rather than wait for Hartley to eff up the lineout throw?], which is a tall order in a World Cup year. The irony is that if we win the Pool of Death we would in all probability avoid further SH opposition until the Final, but I am now more hopeful than confident about England's progress that far. The only puzzling thing is why Ritchie extended Lancaster's contract to 2020 earlier this year? :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd say Lancaster is gone if England don't win RWC tbh.

Home advantage is huge factor
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very strong words but as already said, he's getting close but not enough.

Seen a few complaints about players not included in the player of the tournament on the website, namely the omissions of Warburton and Halfpenny.
  • Options
    KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say Lancaster is gone if England don't win RWC tbh.

Home advantage is huge factor

I don't think so, for all the posturing the RFU must understand that Lancaster has brought them so far. Let's not forget what a debacle English Rugby was in when he took over, the team is continuing to build, they are still incredibly young and we've been one of the few teams to give SH teams something to think about when they come up here.

That said, if we don't get out of the group I agree, he'll be gone, but I think we'll get to the final and if we do he'll stay in the job. It's all about how England play and no one can deny that they've played some scintillating stuff this season, and we've still got 2 of our best ball carriers out and Manu to come back if there is space for him.

People need to accept that Robshaw isn't going anywhere, top tackler again, his stats continue to speak for him and Armitage isn't happening (unless there is an injury to Robshaw).