Options

Introducing cats to a new dog.

seal bseal b Posts: 541
Forum Member
✭✭
I recently got myself a 7 month old Border collie Puppy after my old staff passed away. I have 2 cats and they were fine with my staff, in fact they all used to sit by the fire together in the winter.They basically really got on and loved each other.

However, they haven't taken to my new dog. He's not horrible to them and doesn't chase them but they keep hissing at him and won't come downstairs. I'm scared they might stray, so has anyone been in a similar situation and could offer some advice? Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    A new smell that they are not used to. Some cats take ages to get used to new dogs.
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once they realise he means them no harm AND doesn't want to take their place in the hierarchy (that seems to matter a lot to cats) they'll be fine with him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seal b wrote: »

I'm having similar trouble at the moment with my new puppy.

The cat has absolutely no problem with him at all - she's been uber-confident since he arrived and gives him a little swipe if he comes near her. Trouble is he's still too stupid to understand that she's not the slightest bit interested in playing with him, so he might get a few wounds before he learns.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    I'm having similar trouble at the moment with my new puppy.

The cat has absolutely no problem with him at all - she's been uber-confident since he arrived and gives him a little swipe if he comes near her. Trouble is he's still too stupid to understand that she's not the slightest bit interested in playing with him, so he might get a few wounds before he learns.

Haha, that's what happened with my old dog. We gradually introduced them in the end, we held the dog on the lead and in the end he got used to the cat. I've tried to do that with my new dog, but the cats still hiss :(