Options

Pomegranate glaze, avoid 'juice drink'?

InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
Forum Member
✭✭
I made some panna cottas today which appear to have gone very well. However the pomegranate glaze.. not so well.

I suspect it's because I've bought 'juice drink', which isn't 100% pomegranate juice. And so my attempts to reduce it with sugar are not getting very far.. probably due to how diluted it is.

Am I correct?

Any suggestions on where to get 100% pomegranate juice and any brands to look for?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    You can get 100% organic pomegranate juice from Ocado/Waitrose, but it's about £3.80 a litre. http://www.planetorganic.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/3/1/3168.jpg

Morrisons do a 100% one made from concentrate for about £2.50, (own Fab Fruit brand) but it's very hard to find!
  • Options
    farmhandfarmhand Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know anything about making glazes, but the place for pomegranate products would be a Middle Eastern grocers.

I use this Syrian stuff which is a concentrated pomegranate syrup. It might be ideal for you as it comes. It is really lovely, lovely stuff which has an affinity with aubergines, which is what I use it for. Unfortunately, I've no idea what the brand is because IIRC it's all in Arabic!

I'll have a look for you if you like. :)

Just had a thought about your glaze. If you boil water and sugar you will get (eventually) a caramel, so it can't matter that your juice isn't pure enough. I'd suggest looking at the usual proportions and methods for making glazes and seeing if you need more sugar or something.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    We came across this thread and wanted to let you know that we produce a 100% pomegranate juice... it's called Pomegreat PURE and is in a 500ml bottle. We currently supply Waitrose and www.ocado.co.uk

To find out more about us please visit: www.pomegreat.com

:)
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam
  • Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Ah it's not really spam, surely, I mean the thread was about 100% pomegranate juice and where to get it
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How would a company that manufacturers pomegranate juice even know about this thread? Are they constantly monitoring the internet, looking for examples of the word pomegranate on boards and blogs just on the off-chance?
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How would a company that manufacturers pomegranate juice even know about this thread? Are they constantly monitoring the internet, looking for examples of the word pomegranate on boards and blogs just on the off-chance?

Yup. That's exactly what they do.

Or the marketing people in a place are already members of a message board, as lots of people are, then they can pose questions related to their work, if they want.