Options

The Megalodon, extinct or non extinct

mich_izzlemich_izzle Posts: 735
Forum Member
✭✭
The idea of the megalodon has always fascinated me, they were (or are?) pre-historic sharks who lived at the time of the dinosaurs and allegadly they became extinct about 10,000 years ago. They are the biggest sharks ever ranging from over 72 feet with jaws wide enough to eat rhinos. There are debates that these beasts still exist in the deep surfaces of the ocean. Bear in mind we have only discovered 5% of the deep depths of the ocean so is it possible they are still around? What are your thoughts? For those who are new to these creatures, this is an accurate picture of what they looked like:)

http://hariscena.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/megalodon_02.jpg

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're pretty big, I think if they still existed someone would of spotted one by now.
  • Options
    Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a shitty low budget movie about this called Shark Attack 3.

Anyway, it would be great to see that on the news but to be honest, something that BIG would not go unnoticed. Can you imagine the size of the fin.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Should you ever want to catch one..

..you're gonna need a bigger boat!
  • Options
    kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    All I know is the deep depths of the oceans are like another planet, nothing would surprise me in the oceans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think they lived in the deep depths though did they?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a shitty low budget movie about this called Shark Attack 3.

Anyway, it would be great to see that on the news but to be honest, something that BIG would not go unnoticed. Can you imagine the size of the fin.

There is a theory though they could be way down below in the ocean, bear in mind it goes down about 30,000 feet
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eduble wrote: »
    I don't think they lived in the deep depths though did they?

It can be questioned really, the sperm whale and the giant squid live down there so it is possible the megalodone adapted to the surface, they would still have food
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Extinct, definitely extinct. Long live whales. :eek:

Hasn't this thread been done before? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mich_izzle wrote: »
    It can be questioned really, the sperm whale and the giant squid live down there so it is possible the megalodone adapted to the surface, they would still have food

I guess but they're sharks aren't they? they don't live in the deep depths? I just think they're extinct.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a theory though they could be way down below in the ocean, bear in mind it goes down about 30,000 feet

Thanks, you've just destroyed any future plans i had to go deep sea scoober diving. :(

Anyway, Sharks really stay near the surface but then again we know nothing about these creatures do we, just that they were big. They may be trapped in an underwater place like in Piranha 3D just waiting to be released.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, you've just destroyed any future plans i had to go deep sea scoober diving. :(

Anyway, Sharks really stay near the surface but then again we know nothing about these creatures do we, just that they were big. They may be trapped in an underwater place like in Piranha 3D just waiting to be released.

Lol sorry!!!! They probably don't exist it's just an idea:p That would be scary!!!!!! Imagine that. I'm kind of scared of sharks myself, fascinated, but scared.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are the biggest sharks ever ranging from over 72 feet with jaws wide enough to eat rhinos.

.......only if rhinos swam in the oceans..........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol sorry!!!! They probably don't exist it's just an idea:p That would be scary!!!!!! Imagine that. I'm kind of scared of sharks myself, fascinated, but scared.

i wouldn't say i was scared of them, but come face to face with a great white then shit would be running down my legs. :D I would love to swim with sharks and wouldn't really be nervous unless they were sharks that are paticully a risk to humans, like Great Whites, Tiger Sharks,

Tiger Shark are infact one of the only few animals that consider humans as prey, they will hunt and stalk you down unlike a great white which is more like to bite if really hungry or by accidently mistaking you for another animal. Great Whites would normally never eat a human either unless provoted or feel they actully need to, Great Whites hate the taste of human blood. A little bit of a fact for you all.
  • Options
    SoliloquyOSoundSoliloquyOSound Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Definately extinct. Oh and those UFO things, black dark and psychotic are also extinct.:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    eduble wrote: »
    I guess but they're sharks aren't they? they don't live in the deep depths? I just think they're extinct.

Yeah you're right but it's a nice thought that these giant sharks are swimming around in the depths of the ocean, even if totally unrealistic.

There's that story of a Great White that immediately submerged to 500 meters and swam to Hawaii after an Orca attack and they say they might have done similar to avoid Megalodon attacks back then.
  • Options
    TPLTPL Posts: 2,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the Earth will ever see large animals like that again, particularly if humans still exist in a form.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TPL wrote: »
    I wonder if the Earth will ever see large animals like that again, particularly if humans still exist in a form.

I'm still hoping for Jurassic Park style dinosaur resurrection :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they must be extinct, I'm pretty sure that the sea is so dark that far down that eyes would be useless and hunters like sharks would need to evolve other ways of catching prey, It may have evolved into another species but I think Sharks themselves are so evolved that any bigger wouldn't be able to sneak up on it's prey.

It could be that modern sharks have evoled from the Megalodon and that they became smaller as dinosaurs died out to catch and eat prey that had also became smaller over time.

Not to say I don't believe that there are still species in the sea that still waiting to be discovered but I don't think a giant shark is one of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scrappy555 wrote: »
    I think they must be extinct, I'm pretty sure that the sea is so dark that far down that eyes would be useless and hunters like sharks would need to evolve other ways of catching prey, It may have evolved into another species but I think Sharks themselves are so evolved that any bigger wouldn't be able to sneak up on it's prey.

It could be that modern sharks have evoled from the Megalodon and that they became smaller as dinosaurs died out to catch and eat prey that had also became smaller over time.

Not to say I don't believe that there are still species in the sea that still waiting to be discovered but I don't think a giant shark is one of them.

Most sharks, espically Great Whites are almost blind, they catch prey and move around using the their nose, aka scent/ smell. I'm sure the megladon is (was) the same.
  • Options
    TPLTPL Posts: 2,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It always amazes me how much weird and wonderful (from a scientific point of view) existed before and after the time of the dinosaurs yet often get looked over.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,103
    Forum Member
    I hope they do exist, otherwise there's nothing to take out the giant octopus.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most sharks, espically Great Whites are almost blind, they catch prey and move around using the their nose, aka scent/ smell. I'm sure the megladon is (was) the same.

ok I'll asume your knowledge of sharks is greater than mine but I do know they use their eyes for something because when attacking the roll their eyes back to protect them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scrappy555 wrote: »
    ok I'll asume your knowledge of sharks is greater than mine but I do know they use their eyes for something because when attacking the roll their eyes back to protect them.

like i said are almost blind, they still have some sort of sight. Plus eyes are very easy to pop and any creature is likely to protect them weather they are blind or not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,103
    Forum Member
    When confronted with a question like this, it's better to check out Google or something rather than just pulling an answer out of your ahole. :) Apparently sharks have good eyesight, which is nice for them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    Yeah you're right but it's a nice thought that these giant sharks are swimming around in the depths of the ocean, even if totally unrealistic.

There's that story of a Great White that immediately submerged to 500 meters and swam to Hawaii after an Orca attack and they say they might have done similar to avoid Megalodon attacks back then.

Yeah it would be nice if they were still about